Enabling stereo mix in (sigmatel and Dimension 5100)

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Enabling stereo mix in (sigmatel and Dimension 5100)

• User Jimco wrote about enabling sigmatel stereo mix inputs, and he wrote (a long time ago):

"The problem is that on models like yours that have a Sigmatel 92xx audio chip, Dell has locked stereo mix away from the consumers for some reason. There are a couple of possible ways to unlock it, either by using a Sigmatel driver from another computer company, or by altering Dell's Sigmatel driver. What is your Operating System?"

How can I tell what fix, if any, works for me?   

I have a Dimension 5100, WinXP SP2 with sigmatel card. I don't know how to determine the chipset of my sigmatel card.  Any help will be appreciated--thanks.

Steve

• I only recall one person saying they used drivers from a different company and it worked.  No one else that I know of has found other drivers that will work. 

However, there is a software program that will emulate the sound card and allow streaming audio recording.  I don't remember what the program was but a google search should come up with something.  The program, as I remember, will work with Windows XP but NOT Vista.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• fireberd wrote:

I only recall one person saying they used drivers from a different company and it worked.  No one else that I know of has found other drivers that will work. 

However, there is a software program that will emulate the sound card and allow streaming audio recording.  I don't remember what the program was but a google search should come up with something.  The program, as I remember, will work with Windows XP but NOT Vista.

The name of the software program, Jack, is "Total Recorder" and it now works with Vista. It records streaming internet or other audio directly (i.e.) digitally, rather than taking the soundcard analog output and then converting it back to digital. It does work with Dell's built-in sound processor (SoundMax)