How do i know what sound card is in my computer>

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

How do i know what sound card is in my computer>

• I just wiped XP off of my Dimension 3000 and reinstalled it.  Everything seems to be working well but i get no sound out of my speakers.  They were working fine before i did it. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it????
  • Hi
    You have a Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R94481&SystemID=DIM_CEL_3000&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2430&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=3&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=122481

From Chris

My computer
    Dell Dimension 1100
    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP 2
    512 MB for Ram
    Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
    Linksys wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3

from Chris

Dell Dimension 1100
    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3
    2GB of Ram
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
    Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
    Dell E196FP
    HDD WDC WD800BB-75JHCO 80GB C:
    HDD Samsung SV2042H 20GB F:
    TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C D:
    LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S E:
    Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 90
    Mozilla Firefox 3.5.6

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

My Security Software
    Avanquest SystemSuite 9 Professional
    Windows Defender

• Integrated audio is right unless you upgraded to a PCI sound card, which most 3000 owners do not do, but it was an option to do so.  You can look on the back of your computer and see if there is a second set of sound ports in the area of the add-on cards (in addition to the built-in integrated ports) and you can also go to Device Manger, expand the sounds section and determine there what sound device is being recognized, if any.  After the XP reinstall you did install the chipset driver before the other drivers, right?
  • No should i have.....i have downloaded it now but not before other things......is there something i can do to fix it????
  • If you haven't already done this . . . download and install the chipset driver.  Restart.  Download and install the sound driver.  Restart.  Do you have sound?   If not, do you have XP Service Pack 2 installed?

Message Edited by europa303 on 04-08-2007 03:11 PM
  • I have tried all of that and the sound still doesn't work anymore ideas anyone