PCI Multimedia audio controller driver not installed

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

PCI Multimedia audio controller driver not installed

• Help,
    I wiped off a donated computer from my father in law and have readded all the programs and drivers necessary but two. PCI Multimedia audio controller driver and the PCI ethernet controller. It is a Dell dimension XPS T500, or it was until I cleaned it off without the Dell Disks. Any help on figuring out which drivers are needed to clear the code 28 error on these two (yellow question marks) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael  
  • Click on Desktops at the top of this page, then Click on Dimension.  Either enter the model number or the Dell service tag number and you should be able to get a list of downloads for this particuilar model. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• A new guy here, but similar problem.  Reformatted Dimension xps R400 (getting it ready to pass on to someone else for free)  Didn't take good notes before reformatting.  I need audio driver and 56K modem driver.  Already tried what you suggested at the download site, but don't know which components I have or which drivers to download from the choices given.  How can I determine which drivers I need for this specific computer?  Thanks.
  • Blackhawk, do not post a new or different problem to an existing post.  Post a new subject - it only confuses the issue or "hijack's" the original post and then people start responding to your new problem rather than to the original posters question.  Good forum ettiquite on ANY internet forum.

There are many different configurations for a given PC model, it's hard to say what exact hardware you have.  Just depends on how it was ordered.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• I tried to id the parts in the computer and have downloaded the drivers. I still am having difficulty getting the computer accept the drivers for Rage 128 graphics card, PCI Ethernet Controller, and the PCI Mutlimedia Audio Device. Is there a way to have the computer identify its own components?
  • Support options based on the model of your machine (desktop, laptop, OptiPlex, Dimension, Latitude, etc) in order for your call to be routed to the appropriate technician.

What are the Dell™ Express Service Code and Service Tag, and where can I find them?

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=FA1027149

You will need:

1. To be in front of the computer while you are online.

2. The make and model of the computer

3. The Service Tag and/or the Express Service Code for your computer-

* The Service Tag can be found on the back or bottom of your computer as a bar code label

* The Service Tag and/or Express Service code may also be found by running Express.exe in the Dell directory of your C:\ Drive

* The Service Tag and/or Express Service code may also be found from the Start Menu---> Programs ---> Dell Accessories --->Express Service Code

4. The Dell Support CDs that came with the computer if they are available.

The web site is
    http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/

Documentation
    http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~cat=12&~subcat=88

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• I also had the same exact problem:

"? PCI Multimedia audio controller," in device manager w/ error code28  ( on a Dimension 4700, WinXP pro).

I noticed that the system had a built in integrated audio adapter  AND also a SoundBlaster Live24 PCI card installed.

solution:

I had verified SB Live24 adapter card drivers were installed correctly (if needed, un-install / re-install).

I verified that in the (bios) setup, the "integrated audio"  was "off" (disabled),  and found it was "on" (enabled)  - I disabled it.

then after booting -no more yellow question marks.  I have sound now.

Message Edited by christov01 on 05-02-200612:18 PM