Forums

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Headphone jack has bad (digitized) sound. Sound from the rear soundcard jack is good though :(

This question is not answered

I have an OPTIPLEX 780 (Service tag: <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>). Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3

Problem:

The sound from the front headphone jack is bad. It sounds similar to a badly encoded sound file, digitized, echo, portions of the sounds lyrics are very hard to hear yet the music is sufficient volume.  The rear jack is perfect though!

Tried:

I have updated the SoundMax driver to the most recent version that was on the dell downloads, version 5.10.1.7270. This did not solve the issue.

I removed the device and upon rebooting it found new hardware where I installed the driver (of same version as above). This did not solve the issue.

I don't know what else to do. Ideas?

All Replies
  • Check the front panel connection to the motherboard (reseat the cable). 

On some other models there was a problem with the routing of the cable from the motherboard to the headphone jack.  Users found that if they re-reouted the cable away from the hard drive that it fixed the problem.  Check the cabling in this model in case the same thing is happening. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Ok I have reseated the cable. It is not near the HD.

I experience poor audio from the headphone jack still.

Using the same pair of headphones in the rear jack it sounds great.