ADI 198x "No ADI codec driver is installed" error after upgrading to sp3 on WinXP pro - Audio - Desktop - Dell Community

ADI 198x "No ADI codec driver is installed" error after upgrading to sp3 on WinXP pro


Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

ADI 198x "No ADI codec driver is installed" error after upgrading to sp3 on WinXP pro

This question is not answered


I have a Dell OptiPlex GX620 and I just did a clean install of Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. After I installed the chipset drivers(R132539) I installed the audio drivers(R97809) and sound was working fine.

The audio driver is for Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio and is Version A23.

Next I used Windows Update. After installing Service Pack 3 every time I boot into Windows I am greeted with this error:

Then Windows will detect new hardware and prompt me to install drivers for "Audio Device on High Defintion Audio  Bus" 4 times, each time failing:


I can't seem to find a fix or solution to this problem.

Service Tag: < ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy >

Express Service Code: < ADMIN NOTE : Express service code removed per privacy policy >

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All Replies
  • First, edit your post and remove your personal data - the Service Tag number and Express Sevice Code.  They are forbidden by Dell.

    What Video card do you have? Could it possibly be HDMI audio on your Video card?

    Uninstall each of the entries for the "Audio Device....." in the Device Manager then restart the PC and see if it returns.

    I am not a Dell Employee

    Dell forum member since 2002

    Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

    Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS Z170, i7 6700K CPU,  Windows 10 64 bit Pro. SSD drive.  Studio One 3 Recordng Studio Software.

    Dell SE2717HR 27" Monitor


    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

  • Just a wild thought to add to Fireberd's post:

    There should be a UAA HD Audio driver in System Devices to get XP to recognize HD audio - when XP first came out audio was AC97, not HD.  The driver folder itself usually includes the required "hotfix" to install it (either KB888111 or KB835221).   SP3 release candidate had a problem with this, but the full release SP3 was supposed to have taken care of it.   Some more info HERE.

    I've seen a few posts here where SP3 was still giving fits with this, so a couple things I'd try:

    1) Don't install any drivers until AFTER installing SP3.

    2) With SP3 still loaded, uninstall the Soundmax driver, then reboot.  Then either go into the driver folder and manually install the hotfix BEFORE running the full driver install  (usually listed under a folder like HDAQFE), or get it from a site like the


    'Tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

  • Thanks fireberd, you were on the right track :)

    The DSndUP error(which belongs to SoundMax) was throwing me off onto the wrong track.

    I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 and for some reason the HD Audio drivers weren't installed. I downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver for my card and during the install process it showed that the "HD Audio Driver" wasn't installed. After the install and 2 reboots later no more DSndUP error and no more Unknown Devices in Device Manager:


    This thread is [SOLVED] Big Smile

  • More garbage