DELL Dimension E520 "No Audio Device Found"

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

DELL Dimension E520 "No Audio Device Found"

This question is not answered

Hi:

Helping my Mom troubleshoot her DELL Dimension E520 (Dell Inc. Dell DM061 )
System Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service Tag removed per Privacy policy> running Vista Home 32 bit. No audio out of her speakers. I swapped a set of working speakers from my Gateway system and I can hear feedback just as I insert the jack into the green speaker connection. The speaker with the red "X" in the system tray states Volume:0, High Definition Audio Device. Right-click on icon, Open Volume Mixer, and "No Audio Device Installed" appears. Device Manager is clean. I uninstalled the Sigma Tel Audio driver and installed Realtek Audio; I disabled and enabled; I went to the DELL Website for my Model and Serial number and made sure all software was as installed at factory; I uninstalled SP2 and reinstalled it; I uninstalled all audio drivers, rebooted and let Windows install the audio driver. The speaker with the red "X" persists as does the "No Audio Device Installed" warning.

I installed Piriform Speccy and included the results. This Forum and a GOOGLE search of this issue returns hundreds and hundreds of suggestions to try. I am out of ideas.

I installed and uninstalled the original driver several times. I even used Revo Uninstaller to clean Registry fragments of Realtek drivers and SigmaTel drivers with a reboot before trying a fresh install. The feedback through the speakers when inserting the connector in the jack and the SigmaTel Control Panel display which shows the connected speaker in the jack has me scratching my head that the "device" is intact. I am not sure what the "audio device" is that is referred to in the error message. I asked my Mom to purchase RadioShack headphones and they do not produce any sound, either.

Is this a motherboard issue with integrated audio that I cannot "fix"? Most likely the event happened from one day to the next: there is good surge protection (Florida) and nothing was uninstalled or installed by my Mom.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Adam

Piriform Speccy v 1.06: (I ran this after I ran Intel Update tool).

Graphics
Monitor
Name Generic Non-PnP Monitor on Intel G965 Express Chipset Family
Current Resolution 1024x768 pixels
Work Resolution 1024x738 pixels
State enabled, primary
Monitor Width 1024
Monitor Height 768
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
Memory 384 MB
Memory type 2
Driver version 7.14.10.1147
Memory type 2
Driver version 7.14.10.1147
LogMeIn Mirror Driver
Memory type 2
Driver version 2.50.596

Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Pentium D 820
SmithField 90nm Technology
RAM
1.5GB DDR2
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0WG864 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Generic Non-PnP Monitor @ 1024x768
LogMeIn Mirror Driver
Hard Drives
156GB Seagate ST3160812AS (SATA) 39 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H493A
Audio
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0WG864
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P965/G965
Chipset Revision C2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801HH (ICH8DH)
Southbridge Revision B0
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version 2.4.0
Date 05/24/2007

Audio
Sound Card
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
Playback Devices
Headphones (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)
Digital Output Device (SPDIF Out) (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)
Speakers (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC) (default)
Recording Devices
Rear Mic (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC) (default)
Front Mic (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)
Front Mic (Monitor) (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)
Line In (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)

All Replies
  • What happened initially?  Was the system reinstalled? and if it was I would suspect the Intel chipset drivers were not installed and they are key to a successful install. 

With what you have now, you need the Dell SigmaTel drivers - do not install any other Windows supplied sound driver or SigmaTel driver (and the RealTek is a different manufacturer and will not work on a SigmaTel).  Suggest you (1) Install the Intel chipset drivers, restart the PC and then install the Dell SigmaTel drivers and see if that gets it going.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Hi Fireberd:

Initially, my Mom went to sleep and the next morning there was no audio from her speakers. There was no change in her installations (unless MS or Vista updated overnight and a conflict arose from there). I have read posts about SP2 conflicts with audio and the Sigmatel drivers.

The SigmaTel audio driver STAC 92XX-C Major HD released 6/19/07, ver 6.1.0.0.5511 A04 and the Intel Chipset released 11/30/06, ver 8.1.1.1010A01

were installed directly from the DELL Website using the specific Tag number for the PC. RealTek was tried as a suggestion from one of the Vista Forums; that's why I used Revo to uninstall all traces when this driver did not work.

The OS was never reinstalled. Your suggestion to "(1) Install the Intel chipset drivers, restart the PC and then install the Dell SigmaTel drivers and see if that gets it going" was tried twice and the same error message (no audio device installed) appears in the system tray.

I am looking for confirmation at some point that this is a hardware issue, not a software issue, and whether my Mom should get a new MOB if she wants to have sound once again.

Adam

• Go to the Device Manager and see what error code is showing for the SigmaTel.  That may help in problem diagnosis.  

To access the Device Manager, hold the Windows key down and press the Pause/Break Switch.  The Device Manager should be listed in the panel that comes up. 

It's too late now, but the first thing that should have been done is use the System Restore and restore the PC back to a date when it did work.  Unless it is an unrecoverable hardware failure this usually fixes things such as this.  Keep this in mind for future problems. 

If it turns out the sound chip on the motherboard is actually bad, (a remote possibility) you can buy a PCI sound card and install that for sound.  That is cheaper than a new motherboard and not as hard to install.  Because of the Dell proprietary BTX style motherboard and the proprietary and undocumented front panel connection only another exact Dell model motherboard will work.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

•  

Hi:

Device Manager has never had any yellow exclamation marks or error codes. The only "error" message is when you right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and Audio Mixer is selected at the top: "no audio deviuce installed" is what pops up. If attachments are allowed I took 5 or six screen saver images of my Mom's Device Manager and system tray messages. I tried to force a driver install using ADD Hardware, and I browsed for the SigmaTel driver without any issues. After it installed, there was a small message gain stating that the device might not function correctly because no audio device is installed. In SAFE mode, I tried as much as possible to reproduce the error after an installation of the SigmaTel driver and a similar "no audio device" error message occurred.

Adam

• One more question: would a PCI sound card be unique to the DELL system, or any PCI sound card is okay? If we assume the sound chip is bad (I question this only because  I hear feedback when a speaker plug is placed into the green jack on the tower) I wouldn't mind spending money on a PCI sound card if there is a chance that audio is restored to the PC.

Adam