Forums

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

No Audio Device - Dimension 2400

This question is not answered

Dimension 2400 - integrated sound card

If I go to control panel and look at "Sounds and Audio Devices" it tells me I have No Audio Device.  Therefore I get no sound at all from the computer. I have been to device manager and have no yellow exclamation points on any devices. I have download and installed the latest drivers available from Dell. 

I did have an issue where my CD / DVD drives disappeared from My Computer and I had to go into the registry and delete files called the upper and lower filters and then remove the drives from device manager. Once I rebooted it found the drives and all was good. But in the course of all of that I have lost the ability to play sound.  Device manager says there is no conflict and everything is working properly - BUT! I still have the message in "Sounds and Audio Devices" that says I have No Audio Device.

I do have an extra sound device that connects through a Firewire card - but I have disconnected it until I can get the basic ability to play sound back - this firewire device by M-Audio (Firewire 410) would not work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

John

All Replies
  • Two things.

1.  Check the BIOS (Setup) and make sure the Integrated Audio (May be labeled Legacy Audio) was not accidentally disabled in the BIOS.

2.  Download and install the Intel Chipset Drivers and then install the Dell sound drivers.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• A few more things to try,  but can't say if it will help or not. 

1) Something simple but sometimes overlooked:  in Control Panel - Sounds tab,  see if you can change the default audio device in the pulldown menu.

2) System restore may be worth a try if you can get it back to when the sound was working.  Not a fix per se as much as a way to trace what actually caused the problem in the first place - could've been the registry fix, but could've been something else.  I've seen other posts where SP3 occasionally does things like this (but with no definitive solution).

3) In Device Manager, right click and uninstall the sound device (possibly listed as Soundmax or ADI), then reboot and let Windows reinstall it.  This may get Windows to recognize it again properly.

4) I'm not familiar with the Firewire 410, but if the drivers and software are still installed that may be causing a conflict.   Try uninstalling all traces of it from Add/Remove and Device Manager.  You may want to boot into Safe Mode - Device Manager - Show all hidden devices.  It may also help to uninstall/reinstall the Firewire card itself in Device Manager.

'Tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

• I forgot to list it but I have checked the bios. Intergrated sounds is an on or off choice and it is on.  Can you tell how to know what chip set drivers I would need?  Is that info in the bios or device manager or somewhere else?

Thanks for the reply! I will have to check on these things when I get home later.

• Thanks for the feedback!

1)  Yes, I did that - went to the default windows scheme - pretty sure the problem is deeper than that

2) I have done a restore - did not help.

3) I did uninstalled and reboot - it didn't work but I may try again just for fun... I have heard people say as I have searched other forum that sometimes this problem maigcally goes away - which in reality is something was finally done right and the reboot brought all back together...

4) I have not uninstalled the software for the m-audio firewire - I think I did a reinstall of the latest drivers..... wait - yes that did an uninstall first. I am trying to leave the firewire out of it for now - just hoping to get the basic intergrated card to work again and then try the firewire device again. But, as you say - add remove and device manager - all traces - I have not done that and will try that.

Thanks!

• There is only one "chipset" driver - the Intel Chipset Driver - listed on the Dell downloads for the 2400.  The chipset drivers define what is on or attached to the motherboard, among other functions, and if the Chipset Drivers are corrupted you won't be able to install any sound drivers. 

HERE is the chipset drivers download.

HERE is the Integrated Audio driver download.

I am not a Dell Employee

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

• Awesome - thank you very much - I will try that as soon as I can.

fireberd

There is only one "chipset" driver - the Intel Chipset Driver - listed on the Dell downloads for the 2400.  The chipset drivers define what is on or attached to the motherboard, among other functions, and if the Chipset Drivers are corrupted you won't be able to install any sound drivers. 

• I downloaded and installed the chipset driver and then I did the Integrated audio driver.   I still have the same error message - "No Audio Device"

I also uninstalled the M-Audio software. Still no luck. 

Any further suggestions?  I do appreciate the help.

fireberd

There is only one "chipset" driver - the Intel Chipset Driver - listed on the Dell downloads for the 2400.  The chipset drivers define what is on or attached to the motherboard, among other functions, and if the Chipset Drivers are corrupted you won't be able to install any sound drivers. 

• The firewire device should not cause the problems you have.  I have an Alesis io26 Firewire recording interfact (8 channels) that I use with Sonar 8 for recording.  Whether it's connected or not has no bearing on my SoundBlaster sound card (except the Alesis is both my input and output device with Sonar 8). 

Did you check the BIOS, to make sure the Integrated Audio is enabled?  If it happened to get disabled you wouldn't have an "audio device".

I am not a Dell Employee

• Yes, the bios setting for the integrated sound is a simple on or off choice and it is "on".

fireberd

The firewire device should not cause the problems you have.  I have an Alesis io26 Firewire recording interfact (8 channels) that I use with Sonar 8 for recording.  Whether it's connected or not has no bearing on my SoundBlaster sound card (except the Alesis is both my input and output device with Sonar 8). 

Did you check the BIOS, to make sure the Integrated Audio is enabled?  If it happened to get disabled you wouldn't have an "audio device".

• Go to the Device Manager, uninstall the sound in the Device Manager (regardless of it's status).  Restart the PC and Windows will (should) detect and reinstall the sound.  If this doesn't fix it, my suggestion is to run the Windows XP "Repair" from the Dell Windows XP CD.  Repair is similar to an install except you select Repair instead of install/reinstall.  If the Operating System is corrupted it can cause devices to not work properly. 

I am not a Dell Employee

• Thanks  - I did already do that to the soundmax "device".  It had no error but I did it anyway.  Should I do that to everything in the sound area in device manager? 

I  backed everything up so I guess I am at that point of using the install CD. I did not realize I could only use a repair feature so I will do that before reinstalling XP. 

When I was talking to M-Audio they had me look for IRQ conflicts... there is some sharing but no reported conflicts.  My understanding is that a reinstall of XP helps sort all of that out.

Another option I have considered is paying Dell the $49 to log into it check it over - do you think they would have any luck?

fireberd

Go to the Device Manager, uninstall the sound in the Device Manager (regardless of it's status).  Restart the PC and Windows will (should) detect and reinstall the sound.  If this doesn't fix it, my suggestion is to run the Windows XP "Repair" from the Dell Windows XP CD.  Repair is similar to an install except you select Repair instead of install/reinstall.  If the Operating System is corrupted it can cause devices to not work properly. 

• Please post the solution if you find one. I am having the same problem. I've checked the Device Manager for Audio and it has no device listed, and everything is greyed out.  I can hear modem sounds from the computer, but just no sound from speakers and cannot play music CDs in CD drive.

• I will second that request! I, too, have been struggling for the past 4 months with the same problem. I had to re-install my operating system after getting a virus. Ever since then, I also have "No Sound Device". I've spent hours on the phone with Dell Technical Support to no avail. Ended up purchasing a new computer but still need this one for work. It sounds like this is a common problem with the Dell Dimension. PLEASE POST A SOLUTION IF YOU HAVE ONE!! Thanks a million.

• We solved the problem by going to the Dell Support SIte for the 2400, Drivers and Downloads, and downloading and installing the updates listed there for the computer. They are installed in the order listed, I believe it's chip set, bios and then audio. Restart after each one.

• Hi Everyone!

I've discovered your solution as well.  I had recently not been able to load Windows Movie Maker, and in going to the Dell support website, found this question.  After viewing the symptoms (hehe) that jwbonnett found wrong, I realized I had the same issue as well.  No Audio Device, non-working speakers, no yellow exclamation points, etc. etc.  Basically all the problems that he had, and including all the problems other commenters have had. 

It was through the last commenter, although there are easier steps, that I solved my problem. I'll try to make these as clear and easy as possible (because it is just that, very very easy) What I did is go through the Dell Website search >Dell Support  >Dell Drivers and Downloads >Chose my Desktop model, which happened to be the Dell Dimension 2400.  I'm sure it does not matter for any kind. 

Looking at mine, I first followed the commenters steps of going to chipset.  For mine, there was (1). For others, there might be more then one.  This was the Intel-Driver Version 4.04.1007 update.  It went all the way back to 2003. I recommend for other computers that if there is a more recent update of the simaliar name, use that update instead. 

Save it in an easy accessable folder.  Of course when you pull it up again, it'll save in its own designated folder. Picky Computer, I know. Anyway, its a very small file... of about.......... oh at tops 20 something MGBs. Typically very small.  So I downloaded that, took approximately... 3 minutes. RESTART YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT AFTER. IT COMES INTO EFFECT IMMEDIATELY THAT WAY.

After that I re-entered the Dell website, same entering steps, but this time clicked Bios.  There's (1) However it asked for a hardware disk. I didn't have one.  So it pretty much said "Screw you" and wouldn't download it.  I got by just fine without it, but if you have a hardware disk and want to download it, feel free, it's a waste of time to me.  Didn't help me at all anyway.

Went back to Dell, went to audio, and hoped for the best.  There was a 2003 update for Sound Blaster, a 2005 update for ADI 198x Integrated Audio, and a 2005 update for Sound Blaster.  Thinking I was wise, I chose the 2003 update for Sound Blaster. But how can you update Sound Blaster when you don't have Sound Blaster? You can't. Therefore, it yelled at me, and wouldn't let me download it.  Figures. 

So going BACK to Dell, I decided then to pick the cool ADI 198x Integrated Audio one, and clicked download.  And what do you know! It actually worked! There was a big picture that filled my entire background too! Happy people and everything smiling at computers. If only they knew.... Again, easy accessible file save, then being the picky one it'll save on its own place.  RESTART AFTER AGAIN. Don't be a restartless fool.

And after my WONDERFUL Dell Dimension 2400 came back on, vwala! Windows Movie Maker happily presented itself to me, the sound YELLED it was working when I clicked on a video project, and checking control panel, everything was clickable and on again.

Thus the story of about an hour.  But you can do it all in about 15-20 minutes. So remember, just download the Chipset (you possibly may not have to, but I wouldn't risk it) and the ADI 198x Integrated Audio.  And everything will be back to normal.  For other computer users, follow similiar steps and you should be good.  YOU DO NOT NEED A BIOS DOWNLOAD.

I hope my rambling helps everyone! :)