No sound on Latitude D600; Windows XP Control Panel finds "no audio device"

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

No sound on Latitude D600; Windows XP Control Panel finds "no audio device"

• Since my hard disk keeps clogging up, I recently deleted a lot of junk, including apparently something that wasn't...

After I had done that, I got a message "new hardware found" and then a message that Windows couldn't install it, or couldn't find a driver (I'm not exactly sure what it said), but I basically ignored that, because I had not installed any new hardware recently.

However, since then I no longer have sound on audio, video, websites etc. (I do hear beeps every now and then, so it isn't a hardware problem in the internal speakers I think).

I am using Windows XP, SP2 on a Latitude D600 laptop. Checking system info as far as I know how, I found that the "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Windows XP Control Panel lists "no audio device" and everything is greyed out there. Also, in the System Device Manager, there is no controller listed under "Sound, video and game controllers", but under "Other Devices" it does list 'Multimedia Audio Controller', including yellow exclamation mark. If I look in the Properties of that MAC, the Device Status mentions "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." but when I click that, I get an error message saying " Cannot Install This Hardware. The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software".

I have seen that there are a number of threads on this forum that list the same or similar problems, but I haven't found one about the D600. It seems the problem can be easily solved by installing a new driver, and there are a few links to the Dell Support download site, but the links url always seem to include the Dell model number, so I don't know if those drivers are specific for different computers. I also cannot find what specific soundcard (?) I am supposed to have in this laptop; I assume it is integrated but I do not know the type.

If I run the Dell Support System Information Utility, it tells me

under General Information:

Computer Model   Latitude D600

BIOS Vendor        Dell Computer Corporation

BIOS Version        A16

BIOS Date            06-29-05

Windows Version   Microsoft Windows XP Professional

and under Hardware:

Type                                            Description

DVD/CD-ROM Drives                       TEAC DVD-ROM DV-28E-C

Disk Drives                                    HTS548040M9AT00 37.26Gb

Display Adapters                            MOBILITY RADEON 9000 32Mb

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers               Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA  

Primary IDE Channel  

Secondary IDE Channel

Keyboards                                     Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mice and Other Pointing Devices       PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Monitors                                        Default Monitor - (Standard monitor types)

Sound Devices                                SigmaTel C-Major Audio

USB Controllers                               Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2  

Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4  

Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7  

Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

I suppose that means I probably have a "SigmaTel C-Major Audio" sound device?

Could somebody tell me if that is the thing I need to find a new driver for, if it matters or not that I am using a D600, and where I can find that driver? Looking at the Dell download site, I couldn't find anything under 'Audio' that looks as if it would fit.

Thanks for the help (computers that make noise are much more fun....:)!

edit: Somehow, I managed to solve the problem on my own:

I used the "Add Hardware" function in Control Panel. A menu came up (after searching for 'newly added hardware'), which looked exactly like the one that comes up with "Reinstall driver" from the Device Manager/Properties. For some reason though, this time the search for a driver worked. I don't know if that was a coincidence (maybe the server was down before :)?), or if this function uses a different way of looking for appropriate drivers, but in any case, after a while it told me that  "SigmaTel C-Major Audio" had been installed, and now everything works fine again.....

Message Edited by Helanren on 06-30-2008 06:14 AM
  • This is the Desktop section.  HERE is the Laptop Audio section.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• You're right, thanks :)! Can you move it, do I need to do that myself somehow? For me it is solved, but maybe someone else might benefit from the 'Add hardware' thing?
  • I can't move it, only a Dell Moderator can do that.  You would have to repost, however since it's fixed, nothing else is required.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.