Which drivers do you use for SB Live! Value (CT4780)?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Which drivers do you use for SB Live! Value (CT4780)?

• Hi,

I have really had a lot of trouble to install any other drivers for this card than the native Windows XP drivers from 2001-09-13. When I try the drivers recommended by Dell I always get the message "Setup could't detect any Sound Blaster hardware on your computer". I have competely reinstalled Windows XP with the same result. The Dell technical support is not able to solve the problem either.

So now I would really want to hear from other users of this card:

Which drivers do you use for this card?
    Have the drivers worked good for you?

Are Windows XP native drivers from 2001-09-13 recommendable and stable drivers for this card? I have noticed some sound problems in games but I don't now it it is a sound driver problem. And because it is impossible to install any updated drivers from Dell I have no option to try other drivers.

Btw, I have a Dell dimension 4500 and on the CD that was shipped with the computer it stands Creative Sound blaster Live! Value Digital 1024.

Regards
    Benny

• What driver suggestion do you get (if any) when you go to Product Support > Downloads and enter your Servive Tag and select "Audio Drivers"?

• arnieday wrote:
    What driver suggestion do you get (if any) when you go to Product Support > Downloads and enter your Servive Tag and select "Audio Drivers"?

I get two driver suggestions that can be relevant for my card, these are:

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 and
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 512V

The strange thing is that my card is a Sound Blaster Live! Value and no driver for this name of the card is available for download. Dell technical support claims however that I have the SB Live! 5.1 despite the fact that it stands SB Live! Value Digital 1024 on the CD that was shipped with my system. So the whole thing is VERY confusing. And when I try to install the first driver above I get the message that "Setup couldn't detect any Sound Blaster hardware on your computer". I have formatted the hard drive and performed a clean install of Windows XP but nothing seems to help. The Dell driver don't recognize my sound card.

Message Edited by bsd72 on 02-27-2005 06:41 AM

• I have a WIN98 system, with the CT4780, and the 1024. I believe that the Dell technicians are incorrect in stating that you need the 5.1, unless you have a 5-speaker setup. All of my research has always indicated to me that the 1024 is covered under the category of the 512v, as that has to do with "voices", not speaker setup.

As you have stated, everything is terribly confusing. I've never bothered to monkey with my soundcard; however I have read a great deal about what to do, and what to expect if I should ever do what you have done.

First of all, you need to remove every mention of Soundblaster from your Add/Remove programs, and from your Device Manager. After you have performed that task, and rebooted five or six times, then reinstall your Creative drivers using the Dell-supplied Creative CD. During the reinstallation, you need to have a fair idea of what to expect, as you will be directing the Windows Installation Wizard to use the "disk supplied by the manufacturer."

Consequently, read through the Uninstallation/Reinstallation software details in your User's Guide. At the same time, go online and find a copy of a thing called "Getting Started by Creative" (for your specific operating system and card, the CT4780). After you have read through "Getting Started", you will probably be more confused then ever; but there's a possibility that you may not.

I no longer know anything about Creative, about Dell, or about these driver issues. I have basically given up. If I go, today, to the Dell Downloads, the only drivers that are listed for my card are two patches, one is a patch for a correction for a problem with "missing bass in quadraphonic sound", and the other is a mute-fix for the mixing panel.

A year or so ago, Dell supplied full driver downloads for everything; yet even then it was as confusing as .... because a user needed to differentiate between CT4780 and SB0200.

I think because of all of this confusion I will never purchase another product from either Dell or Creative. It is all much too confusing.

Good luck.
  • Thanks for your reply xley.

I have no entries for Creative under Add/Remove programs because I have not installed any software for the card. However in device manager I have an entry called Sound Blaster Live (WDM) and if I uninstall this and restart the computer it automatically comes back because Windows has native drivers for the card. But I think this automatically installed drivers is by no way optimized for this Dell OEM card.

So I give up with this card and I am VERY VERY surprised that Dell has no answer to give me of the question of where to find a driver which is possible to install under Windows XP. They told me to reinstall XP to get rid of the error message "Setup couldn't detect any Sound Blaster software on your computer" but as I said earlier this didn't help.

After this lot of trouble I have absolutely no faith in Dell anymore.
  • You didn't say whether you had tried xley's recommendation to install the sofware from the original Soundblaster CD that came with the computer. That's usually the best thing to do after an XP reinstall and then worry about any updates later. But first make sure the soundcard is firmly seated in its slot.
  • bsd72,

I think that you need to stop Windows from installing the native drivers.

As soon as the installation procedure begins, I believe that you need to cancel everything, and then to change the Windows Installation Wizard by checkmarking the selection "disk provided by manufacturer." Then you insert your Creative CD.

I believe that you will find this procedure addressed in both your User's Guide, and in "Getting Started."

xley
  • I have succeded in installing the drivers from CD, but these drivers are even older than the native Windows XP drivers so I think it is not a good idea to use these. The problem is to install the newer drivers from download section on Dell home page. I have uninstalled the drivers from device manager and restarted in safe mode but the Dell drivers (i.e. the newer drivers from download section on Dell home page) still don't recognize the card. I also tried to install the newer drivers after first installing the drivers from CD with the same negative result.

So if anyone could confirm that the native Windows XP drivers are the best drivers for this card everything is fine. If not, I would be happy if someone could tell me where to find better drivers which is possible to install in Windows XP, i.e. which not give me the error message mentioned above (Setup couldn't detect...).

By the way, can anyone tell me which of these drivers

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 or
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 512V

found on download section are really made for the SB Live! Value Digital 1024 sound card? I think it is only one of them and not both (or perhaps none of them). I have not been able to get a definite answer of this question from Dell technical support.

Message Edited by bsd72 on 02-27-2005 03:36 PM

• Since this is an OEM card, it has a different product number than a retail card. That's why people have a hard time trying to update them. When going to install retail drivers, the configurator doesn't recognize the OEM numbers and won't install. And if you do get the retail drivers to install from Creative, you will loose the extra programs like Wavestudio.  But there is a way around it. Here is where I found out about it. I like tinkering with stuff, so this was fun for me to try, but others might not have as much patience as I did getting it to work. Probally the hardest thing to do is get a good link to download the over 400mb file. I made a custom install cd that I have been using for over a year now. I wish I knew somewhere to upload it to. Right now my drivers are dated 6-04 with the update. :smileyhappy: 

BTW If you play games.......using the Windows drivers is the worst thing you can do.

Message Edited by thatsme on 02-27-2005 06:17 PM

• bsd72 wrote:
    I have succeded in installing the drivers from CD, but these drivers are even older than the native Windows XP drivers so I think it is not a good idea to use these.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Why not? They are obviously the most recent drivers for that particular Dell OEM card. More computers getted messed up every day by people installing incompatible drivers when there was nothing wrong with the old ones. Now, $64 question. Were you having some audio problem with the software that came on the original CD?

• arnieday wrote:
    Why not? They are obviously the most recent drivers for that particular Dell OEM card. More computers getted messed up every day by people installing incompatible drivers when there was nothing wrong with the old ones. Now, $64 question. Were you having some audio problem with the software that came on the original CD?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your response arnieday!
    Because I only run with two stereo speakers and do not have use for all that stuff that I got when I installed the software from CD. I only want to have updated and good drivers for the card and not a lot of additional software. I noticed the same sound stuttering when I played HL2 with the CD software installed, but perhaps this is an issue with the game and/or video drivers and not with the sound drivers.

Isn't it better to use the newer Windows XP native drivers than the drivers on CD?

• thatsme wrote:
    Since this is an OEM card, it has a different product number than a retail card. That's why people have a hard time trying to update them. When going to install retail drivers, the configurator doesn't recognize the OEM numbers and won't install.

Thanks for your response thatsme!
    I have not tried to install retail drivers, the error message I got was with the Dell drivers.

BTW, you wrote that the worst thing you can to when playing games is to run with the Windows XP native drivers. Why? Is that the case even if you only run with a set of stereo speakers and not 5.1 or other configuration?
  • I would stay with the OEM drivers, rather than mess with everything. Yet I can see from all of your posts that you are hellbent on updating. The way to go would be to fdisk and reformat and buy an Audigy 2Z. Nevertheless read through the following. The author is someone who went to a great deal of trouble to wipe his system clean from Creative. Maybe you can follow his lead.

Right click on My Computer and click on Properties. Click on the Device Manager tab and double click on Computer, it should be the very first icon. This should bring you to a window called computer properties with a list of IRQ's on the left and a list of devices on the right. Check the IRQ of the listing for your sound card and see if there are any other devices listed on that same IRQ. If there is, then close out of the Device Manager and shut down the computer and open the motherboard case. Then unscrew the sound card, disconnect all the cables connected to it, and remove the card from it's slot. Next, reinsert the card in the nearest available pci slot. Keep in mind when you do this not to put the card in the slot right next to the video card or in the sixth pci slot if you have one. If there are no other slots available, try switching slots with another card like a modem or network card. When the card is firmly seated in the slot, screw the card back in, close up the case and reboot the computer.

If the above step doesn't work then try a cleansweep of the card.

This procedure will completely uninstall your sound card.

Restart the system into safe mode.

To enter safe mode, restart your computer by Clicking on Start, Shut Down, Restart, then clicking on OK. If you have Windows 95, tap the F8 key about once every second as the system restarts. If you have Windows 98 or ME, you can hold down the left Control key. This will bring up the Windows 95, 98 or ME Start Up Menu. At this point, choose Option 3 (Safe Mode) and press enter. This will boot your system to Safe Mode. (An alternative way to get into safe mode is to go to Start and then Run and type in msconfig. Press the Advanced button at the bottom of the System Configuration Window. On the Advanced page, put a check mark next to Enable Startup Menu and press OK. This will take you back to the System Configuration. Press OK again. It will prompt you to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. Restart the computer. This will bring up the Windows 95, 98 or ME Start Up Menu. At this point, choose option 3 (Safe Mode) and press enter. This will boot your system to Safe Mode.)

Right click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties. The System Properties window should open. Click on the Device Manager tab. Click on the plus + sign next to Creative Miscellaneous Devices.

Remove each listing under this heading. To remove an entry, highlight it by clicking on it, then click on the Remove button at the bottom of the device manager.

Once all of the entries under Creative Miscellaneous Devices have been removed the heading itself should be removed as well.

Now click on the plus sign next to Sound, video and game controllers. Remove all Creative SB live listings found here.

Close Device Manager.

Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel. In Control Panel double click on Add/Remove Programs. Under the Install/Uninstall tab you will see a list of software that is installed on your computer. Find Sound Blaster Live! in the list and highlight it by clicking on it. Now click on the Add/Remove Programs button.

A window named Creative Installer will open.

Click the Select All button and then click Next. It will take a minute or two for the all of the software to be uninstalled. Once it is complete you will be prompted to restart your computer, click on No.

Close Add/Remove Programs and close Control Panel.

Click the Start button click Search and click on Find Files or Folders.

This open a Search Results window.
    In the Search for files or folders named: field type EMU10K1.VXD. In the Look in: Click on the Down Arrow. Click on Browse. Click the plus (+) by My Computer. Click the plus (+) by c: drive. Click the plus (+) by Windows. Click on the word System. Click on OK.

The field should show C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. Click on Search Now.

Delete all files that it finds named Emu10k1.vxd by right clicking on the file and clicking Delete. (You can also delete the file by highlighting it and hitting the Delete key on your keyboard.)

Now type SB*.* into the Named: field. (You can type the * character by holding the Shift key on your keyboard and hitting the 8 key.)

The Look in: field should still say C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

Click Find Now. This will find all files that start with Sb in the C:\Windows\System folder. Delete these files.

Repeat this with the following file names by typing each file name into the Named: field. The Look in: will remain the same.

CIFMAN*.*
    SFMAN*.*
    CTSYN*.*
    CTWT16.DRV
    CTMM16.DRV
    A3D.DLL
    DEVCON32.DLL
    AC3API.DLL

Now we are going to change the Look in: field to C:\WINDOWS\INF.

We are going to rename each of the files instead of deleting them. To rename a file, right click on it and click Rename. The file name will have a box drawn around it and you can type the new name into this box.

We are going to add .CLI to the end of the files that we find. Type the following file names into the Named: field clicking Find Now after each one:

EMU10K1.INF
    CTMISC.INF

If you do not find any files when C:\WINDOWS\INF is in your Look in: field, double click on the My Computer icon. Click on the View pull down menu at the top of the window and select Folder Options. This will open up a new window, click the View tab in this window. Under Hidden files or folders, click on the radio button next to Show all files and then click OK. Now you should be able to find the files.

Click the Start button and then click Run. Type MSCONFIG and then click OK. This will open a window named System Configuration Utility. If you see a message that says Environment variables were found in the legacy files... just click on OK and the System Configuration Utility will open.

On the General tab you will see three startup options: Normal, Diagnostic, and Selective. Click on Selective startup and then uncheck all of the boxes listed underneath it.

Some of the boxes will have a gray background with a check mark, these can be unchecked as well.

Once all of the boxes are cleared click OK and you will be prompted to restart your computer. Click on Yes and your system will reboot.

When windows restarts your screen will have a very large display with very few colors, this is normal.

You should see a window that says New Hardware Found and will reference a PCI multimedia audio device.

Click Cancel on this window.

The next window that comes up will also say New Hardware Found but it will reference a PCI input controller.

Click Cancel on this windows as well.

Insert the CD labeled Installation CD into a CD-ROM drive. Select Sound Blaster Live! hit OK and reinstall your sound card.

When you are prompted to restart your computer click No.

Click the Start button and then click Run.

Type MSCONFIG and then click OK. Again the System Configuration Utility should open. Click on Normal startup and then click OK. Restart your computer and your display should be back to normal.

If Cleansweeping the card doesn't help then try reinstalling the multimedia part of windows. Double click on the My Computer icon. Double click on Control Panel. Double click the Add/Remove Programs icon. Click on the Windows Setup tab. Windows may take a few moments to detect all the installed components. Once it gives the list of components, scroll down the list to Multimedia. Remove the check mark from Multimedia and click the Apply button. This uninstalls the Multimedia section. When the uninstall is completed, place the Windows installation CD for the version of Windows that is being dealt with in the CD-ROM drive and close any window that may come up from an auto-play feature. Re-check the box beside Multimedia and click the Apply button again. Windows will install the components in fresh from the installation CD. When complete, close all windows and reboot the system by going to Start, Shut Down, Restart. Click the button that says Yes.

At this point try to reinstall Windows. To do this, insert your windows cd in the drive and close out of the menu window it brings up. Then click on start and run. Erase whatever is typed in the white bar and type in the drive letter of the cd-rom drive, colon, backslash, and then setup. Example: D:\setup

http://www.driverguide.com/forums/sound/crea/messages/6861.html
    Mike 19:52:47 2/14/02 (1)
    in response to : "Problem installing driver for Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1 - Help...
    @ driverguide.com
  • Isn't it better to use the newer Windows XP native drivers than the drivers on the CD.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Possibly, but generally not. The original software was written for that particular card and whatever features it has.
  • The windows drivers use more cpu cycles as can be seen here .