If you sent your computer to Dell for repair recently, I might have it sitting on my desk!  The service department sent someone else’s broken computer to me after I sent my new but still defective computer in for repair. Customer service’s “solution”—send the computer I have back to that person (probably without disclosing that Dell sent it to me) and try and retrieve my computer and send it back to me—is unacceptable.

A manager told me that someone from the legal department would call me--NOPE.  Just another idiot from the "corporate department."

Here is a summary of what happened:

June 28, 2017:  I took my new computer out of the box and set it up.  It was defective; the screen was so pixilated that it looked like a Lite Brite.

June 29, 2017, 7:22 a.m.:  I spent 19 minutes on the phone with customer service.

July 4, 2017, 8:17 a.m.:  I spent an hour and 34 minutes on the phone with customer service.  They eventually sent me a box and I sent the computer in for service.

July 21, 2017, 2:44 p.m.I spent 25 minutes on the phone with customer service after receiving a computer back from the Dell service department.  When I took the computer out of the box, the screen was cracked—probably because it was shipped back to me upside-down.  I do not know whether the computer the Dell service department sent back to me this time was my computer because I never turned it on.  A manager assured me that the repair would be expedited because it was obviously Dell’s fault that the screen was cracked.

August 2, 2017, 12:22 p.m.:  I spent 10 minutes on the phone with customer service after checking on the status of the repair.  Despite the customer service manager’s assurance that the repair would be expedited, the Dell service department had refused to repair the computer because no one had informed them that it was Dell’s fault that the screen was cracked.

August 7, 2017, 7:17 p.m.:  I spent 40 minutes on the phone with customer service after realizing that the computer the Dell service department sent back to me was obviously not mine because it had a different service tag.  The computer was set up, there was no password protection, it displayed error messages as soon as it was turned on, and the keyboard and mouse would not pair.  The customer service agent assured me that the matter would be “escalated” and that someone would call me.

August 8, 2017, 6:08 p.m.:  I called customer service after hearing nothing and spent an hour on the phone.  The customer service agent I had spoken to the day before had done nothing—he did not even make a note of the service tag of the computer I received.  So, I had to explain everything again.  A customer service manager told me to send the computer back to the Dell service department, and then they would try to locate my computer and send it back to me.