XPS 14Z fan noise

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

XPS 14Z fan noise

This question is not answered

My Dell XPS 14Z is giviing out loud noises. Its coming from the cooling fan on the left-hand side of the laptop. Is it a normal thing, or is it a problem? Please help. Thanks

All Replies
  • Hi Aimeer Raffiq,

Follow below steps to isolate the issue:

BIOS update:

I have provided a link below for   BIOS update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-l412z?driverId=38CJN&osCode=W732&fileId=2731104460

Clean Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
    2. Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.
    1. Turn off the System
    2. Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.

Hardware Diagnostics Check:

Run diagnostics on the computer. (Hold down the FN + Power button simultaneously).

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• Hello

Thanks for the word of advice. I don't see why it is necessary to update my BIOS as it is already at A05, and I assume it has already been updated. I haven't tried out the air vents cleaning thing yet, but will be doing it soon. Tried lots of other ways to make the noise die down, which includes lifting up the back of the laptop. Thanks for the help btw, and sorry for the late reply. Internet went down for a few days.

Cheers, 

• Hi Aimeer Raffiq,

Yes, try cleaning the fan vent with compressed air can and then try running diagnostics on the computer to determine the hardware failure.

If the issue still persists, kindly private message me the service tag.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services.

Check warranty status: http://dell.to/zEE2Cm

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    Yes".

• Dear all

I bought a 14Z 10 months ago and it was fine until 1 week ago. Then is started to make this dreadful fan noise that is all OVER the internet with this laptop.

I was about to just give in and get a new computer. BUT it didn't make sense, fan going 100% all of the time and still the CPU temperature high. I am not a computer geek but this just didn't make sense. I decided it must be dust so I started to take the baseplate off the computer. I have never done this before and found out its supposed to be the most difficult laptop on the planet to get to the inside!! Actually once I had searched a bit it was not too bad. Take all screws out, start at the back with a credit card easing the baseplate apart and work to your left.

You would not beleive what I found!! A small piece of platic paper, maybe 10mm by 2-3mm ( a bit like a tab) was actually IN the fan. It looked as though it must have always been in the computer and had not been sucked in. I took it out, replaced the baseplate and the machine is back to new!!

I wonder if this is some Q+A issue with the way the machine is made..........not sure what this bit of plastic/peper could be used for?

I am a doctor, not an expert in computers but I am happy as can be that my machine is back!!

Just a thought

MTTWINS

• Hi MTTWINS,

I appreciate your efforts in resolving the issue by removing the plastic paper.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We assure the best quality and customer experience throughout the journey. Thank you for the feedback this will help us to be even more extremely vigilant.

I appreciate that few qualities come by profession and only a Doctor can have a micro observation skill!

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    Yes".