Dell XPS 8300 - Any experience w/ GeForce GTX 660 Ti ?

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Dell XPS 8300 - Any experience w/ GeForce GTX 660 Ti ?

This question is not answered

Bought an XPS 8300 last Xmas. Replaced the stock GPU with a GeForce GTX 560 (non-Ti). It runs great, but I'd like a little more horsepower for newer games like GW2.

Before I bite the bullet and invest in one of the new GTX 660 Ti's everyone is raving about, I wanted to see if there were any problems, conflicts, or issues people have encountered when installing these cards in a XPS 8300?

I've read there are issues with the GTX 670 series--wasn't sure if it also applied to the 660 Ti's?

The cards I am specifically curious about are the MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition (N660TI PE 2GD5/OC) and the EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SUPERCLOCKED (02G-P4-3662-KR).

Thanks!

All Replies
  • Hi Sylin,

In terms of the system requirements there is not much difference between NVidia GeForce GTX 560 (non-Ti) and NVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti. Since you have mentioned that the GeForce GTX 560 is working fine with the existing power supply on the computer, GeForce GTX 660 Ti too should work fine as both have same power supply requirements.

And GeForce GTX 660 Ti from both the vendors has the same specifications.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Kalyan S
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.

• Thanks, Kalyan.

To provide a bit more background on my original question, I had read there are incompatibilities between the XPS 8300 BIOS and the GTX 670 series. Am hoping this is not the case with the 660 Ti's, since both use the GK104 GPU. Can you shed any light on this?

(Note: I have no personal experience with this supposed BIOS issue -- it is just something I read on various forums while doing research before committing to the 660 Ti.)

As for power, I've bought a new power supply for my XPS 8300 -- a Corsair AX750. Was going to install that over the weekend. While the 8300's stock PSU may be adequate for the GTX 560, I was nervous about running a super-clocked GTX 660 Ti on it. Plus the Corsair PSU is 80 Plus Gold Certified and fully modular, which is never a bad thing. :)

• Hi Sylin,

There are no compatibility issues between XPS 8300 and NVidia GeForce GT 660 Ti. As you are installing Corsair AX750, it would be more than sufficient for the system.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Kalyan S
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.

• The GTX 660 Ti work PERFECTLY fine with the H67 dell motherboard I was sure its gonna work so I buy it and after a simple installation and Load up the new drivers and Also the GTX 660Ti TDP is only 450 watts and the stock PSU of 460 Watts work perfectly fine ... So Just go In ;)
  • Do all dell XPS8300's have the H67 motherboard? If not how can you tell? Does your setup still work fine? Would you do it again? Do you do gaming and rendering? I know it's a lot of questions but thank you in advance. 

• I play Battlefield 3, Starcraft 2 and all king of games but in fact I just play games with it and yes ALL Dell XPS 8300 have a H67 Motherboard... and my GTX 660Ti is a BEAST I love it soo much playing BF3 at ultra is very fun :D

• would you recommend a higher wattage PSU? 

• hummm good question you have because... the GPU itself only require 450 watts TDP (the desktop all in that) and if you want to overclock it I would recommend it but my GTX 660 Ti is a MSI Overclocked a 1020Mhz and 6008 Mhz on the memory in that case my power supply is very good for that

PS: If you want a GTX 660 Ti I would choose the MSI one who is overcloked like mine ;)

• This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community