NEW XPS 15 (L521X) CPU throttles to 1.2ghz when gaming

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

NEW XPS 15 (L521X) CPU throttles to 1.2ghz when gaming

• When gaming on my new XPS 15  (L521X) | I7 3612QM | GT 640M -  I noted that the frame rate was dropping significantly after about 1 minute. (note: running on A/C power - not battery)

After loading up EVGA Precision to monitor GPU FPS and CPU Z to monitor CPU - I noted that initially when the game starts up the CPU boosts to 2.9 GHZ, but after 1 minute it throttles to 1.2ghz and stays there.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

Updated NVIDIA drivers to 3.0.4.79 - no change

Downloaded A04 BIOS and installed (was already at A04) - no change

Changed power profile to "High Performance" - no change

I was expecting this laptop to outperform my E6530 but that is not the case with the CPU throttling - if a solution is not forthcoming in the next few days the laptop will be returned

Note: When running the same game on my Dell Lattitude  E6530 | I5 | NVS 5200M -  the CPU boosts to 3.3ghz and stays at that speed indefinitely.

Here's a thread I found on notebook review forum where another user posted the same issues:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/673630-xps-15-l521x-owners-lounge-17.html#post8683402

• Raudi

Thanks for posting this in DCF.  I know that you have spoken with Dell-Bill B and I have your information.

TB

• Thanks Terry!

I sent you an e-mail with my order info per my discussion with Dell-Bill B

I'll be dropping off the unit with Bill on 7/10 (good to be in Austin)  :)

• I am also experiencing this issue with that same model. I'll see if I can contact a dell rep later today.

• Well I confirmed with the rep that going from 2.9 GHz to 1.2 GHz while using processor-intensive applications is not normal. Waiting on further information from them...

• Just noticed a reply here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/673630-xps-15-l521x-owners-lounge-44.html