Factory Reset of a Dell XPS 14z

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Factory Reset of a Dell XPS 14z

• Hi All,

I am looking for any help/advice to factory reset my Dell XPS 14z. 

I have tried hitting F2 and F12 but I couldn't find any option for a factory reboot. I've also tried hitting F8 multiple times before the window logo but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I've heard that If I had the windows boot CD I could use that but when I ordered my laptop from Dell, I never got a boot CD.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. (I'm also running windows 7 home premium)

• Storrence88,

Make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose.

Restart the computer and tap F8 once a second until the screen appears. Then select, repair my computer. Select the language, then username and password, then follow the instructions.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I have a dell xps 14z  Storrence88, same OS and everything. But even if I keep on tapping the F8 button when the dell boot screen is loading up, I am not taken to the advanced boot menu. Please help.

And additionally my problem is that something happened to my computer, which I don't know but the OS won't just boot up. I keep on getting a black screen with a blinking cursor which runs for infinite. 

Point to be noted is that I have not created any recovery disk. So yes, I am in very much trouble. Support is much appreciated.

Regards 

• Don't bother with the dell factory reset,I used it and then had to go get an OS install disc and re install it anyway. Go online and type in "reinstall windows 7 without cd " should be a PC world site follow what it says on there get fresh installation, and while your at it you can get rid of all the rubbish dell puts on it. Try save all the stuff you want to keep on some other form of storage than your HDD so it put back on later. If you cant boot to windows you need to get on to advanced boot options which is F12 on my XPS 15 you then need to change the boot order for the Disc drive to the top is easiest restart then load from the CD reinstall windows and everything that follows.

• Make sure you get the correct version of windows for your system, also sorry for any bad spelling or grammar. 
  • mhasananik,

Can you boot the system enough to create the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create?

If not, if you live in the United States, Request Backup Disks USA if in another Country, Contact Dell Tech Support in your Country.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!