Dell studio XPS 9100 Desktop - Graphics card PSU upgrade

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Dell studio XPS 9100 Desktop - Graphics card PSU upgrade

• Hello club,

Talking to Dell technical and software depaartments is like the blind leading the blind.  I for the life of me cannot get a direct answer from either one of these departments.  If I do, the next rep will tell you something different....  Then, they put you to another rep, and HE has a different answer.  Here is my problem:

My system:

i7 cpu X980

12gb ram

win 7 64bit

I want to upgrade my graphics card and PSU.  Dell advised me NOT to upgrade the PSU because they said it could void the warranty if the PSU is too large and you have complications.  I wanted to put an 850 watt Corsair in my unit with a larger card like a GTX HD 570, 680, or Radeon 7970. (These cards are just for example, and the largest I will run.) I asked the rep at Dell how can a power supply void a warranty?  He said because the power to the motherboard could be overloaded.  I said, "How can that be a problem... the motherboard only requires this much power, and NO more."  He said, "It could void your warranty if you have any problems."  I know I can't crossfire, and don't intend to.  As you know, the 9100 comes with a 525 watt PSU stock....  Another rep said I could run any of these cards in the unit w/o upgrading the PSU.  He said if you clock it high enough (Which I won't) it could cause glitching on high end graphics because the PSU isn't putting out what it needs...  but yes, you can run that card, or any card in this 9100. 

My question: Can I put an 850 watt PSU in this unit w/o any complications?  Do I need to change the PSU?  Can I run any of these cards mentioned above with only 525 watts?  I know the cards only run at 200-300 watts roughly.  Dell said because of the configuration of your XPS, it's not advisable to change anything...  BUT, you could put an Nvidia GT 640 card in there to replace your 5670 card you have in there now.  (That card is a piece of junk I said to myself.)  After talking to Dell for over THREE and a HALF hours today...  Am I making any sense here?  Can someone please give me some advice? 

Thanks.

Tom

• Yes, you are right ... you can over-size power-supplies (everything only draws what it needs). Not only that, the larger power supply will run at a lower % capacity, cooler, and last longer.

Corsair is a good brand. Just make sure it will fit and stuff like that. 850 is fine. I put a Corsair 750 (and AMD 5770) in my wife's XPS-410 and a Corsair 650 (and AMD 6770) in my brother's. Both running Intel quads.

Yes, I would upgrade the PS. Pushing an old small PS is a bad idea.

All that said, there are no guarantees and this is an advanced upgrade (not like popping in a video card or RAM). You better know what you are doing (or have a qualified technician help you). Also, some users were having issues installing newer nVidia cards in newer XPS (not sure what it up with that ... read these XPS forums). Personally, I think you would be happier with a AMD 7xxx card anyway.

As for the warranty status change ... I don't try to interpret Dell policy.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Tesla,  Thank you for responding.  I appreciate your help.  I've seen the AMD 7 series cards you're referring to.  Nice!!  My XPS is about 1.5 years old now.  It's the BEST computer I have ever owned, and the most powerful.  I will definately take your advice.  Thank you again!

Tom

• Tesla,

I just ordered an Asus AMD Radeon HD7850 card.  This card runs cooler, and I don't have to upgrade my PSU which as you know is 525 watts.  I will NOT be over clocking this card.  I'm not running any other cards and this 7859 uses less power than other cards in it's class; according to what I read.  Thank you again.

Tom

• Tom

I too have a Studio XPS 9100 and just love it.

I had it custom made when ordering new about over a year ago. 

Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X

24.0 GB RAM   i installed about 6 months ago

ATI Radeon 5800 series graphics.

Dell 05DN3X (cpu 1) Motherboard

the extra RAM i put in it about 6 months ago...      She purrs   ...   ;)

But now have decided to order another item to make her even beefier.

ordered a AMD Radeon HD 6850, 1 gb GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card  ( at  $209.99 - it better be good)  - 2 gb is not available for this 9100 series.

I run    www.speccy.com   free software to monitor the temp and charactor of all the electical components in my comp. so i will be watching to see if or how high it will raise the temp on my dear motherboard when under the load of active games. Let me no if u would be interested in the results of this. I was assured it was compatible and will do what i want it for by the superviseor, but we no he is human and does make mistakes.

• Hi StormyMeadows,

Yeah...  These systems are great; you're right, they do purrr!!!  :)  However the graphics card I just ordered from Newegg is a 2gb card.  Tesla1856, up above on this page suggested an AMD 7*** series card for the 9100, but made no mention of a 2gb card not being available.  He said I would be happier with that particular series.  W/ shipping, I paid $267.00  Unless you heard something different.?  (TESLA1856 if you could chime in, it would be appreciated.)  Now you have me wondering, Stormy.  Ahhh...  We'll get it resolved.

For cooling, we do have pretty large cases, and four fans.  Processor fan, front fan that sucks air in, PSU fan and the fan below the PSU the vents the hot air out of the case.  My stock graphics card is an AMD HD5670.  That 5670 catd temperature has reached 185 degrees F  playing this game called, World Of Tanks.  (My brother got me into this game!  Thought I would never play games, or a game on this computer.  I do now.  Heck, we're both in our 50's!!  I must admit, it's a blast...  Literally!!  Big Smile

Thanks for letting me know about your experience, Stormy.  Love that Ram on yours!!  WOW, nice.

Tom

• Yup... glad to hear u found the card u think is right for ur comp. I just double checked with the tech on the AMD Radeon 6850 i m waiting on to be delivered. I was assured my motherboard was compatible with the graphics card to soon be installed. Both needed to be 1 gb, and so they r and no change in clocking needed/ required should be happening. I'm still going to monitor the temps of them just so i feel confortable. Excited to see the snap action that will soon be going on...on my screen. Yup, i m addicted to them too (games).

WoWWwww ur 5670 graphics card was way hotter then it ever should had been. On a ruff day at play mine (the old card still installed) ATI Radeon HD 5800 never runs over 142 or 143 degrees.   Awww nothing wrong being a gamer, dont worry about ur image...haha, just have fun.

Glad u admire my extra RAM... is very nice to have, infact i have ran two avatars on the RAM load i got. Seems to look like doing magic to ppl who havent seen it done before. Its all in the RAM.....haha I figure after i get the graphics card in...it will be like driving a Lexus or Porche....Well worth the denaro.. i m getting excited... aww just kidding. ;)  Post me on how ur new card does for u and i'll wave as i pass u on the quarter mile in my soupped up machine so u'll no how my new card worked out. (just kidding). By the way if u downloaded the Speccy software and noticed the two tone green boxes next to the temp read out... click on the green boxs, it will open to a graph chart that will read out the fluxuations in temps and durations. Good way to spot a failing component or a excessively over heating board. Have fun , catch u later.    Stormy

• Yeah, Stormy, the heat was earlier today.  Perhaps a glitch?  That was the hottest I've ever seen it  It's running now at 140 degrees max while playing that game.  Right now the temp is 124 degrees.  Well, I question my motherboard being compatible with the 2gb card.  You say both need to be 1gb.  I was told by Dell that I could run any card in here, but they didn't advise it because of the configuration.  NOW, I'm not so sure.  I'm calling Dell now, AGAIN, because I cannot find what type of motherboard I have.  I can't read it on the board either. 

Just got off the phone with Dell.  The only info they could give me was the chipset which is an X58 standard board.  She, the Dell rep, said I could run that 2gb card in my system, but was unsure if the board was a 1, 2 or a 3gb motherboard.  She said there was no way she could find that information out.  BUT, she said she would send an email verifying that I could run this card in the 9100.  I asked her to send me the email in case I fry the motherboard.  Tongue Tied 

I saw an XPS 9100 motherboard online and the part number for this board is: 5DNX3 or 05DNX3 according to the site.  Man, I don't want to screw this thing up!  Thanks for that info, Stormy.

Tom

• Ok Tom... dont worry be happy. Just download the   www.speccy.com   software. Its free, its clean... i have no association with the manufacturer or selling of any software. I'm just another common Jane Doe. I no u dont no me but i can assure u this software will not harm ur machine.... i use it... i love it. Best thing since potatoe chips, believe me.

This software will give not only operation info. but WILL GIVE UR MOTHER BOARDS # WHICH U R LOOKING FOR  (easy, right)...(and will end ur guessing) plus technical info. i'm not even sure what to do with, let alone understand some of it as a lay-person. (i'm not a electrician).

I'd stay off the gaming until u find out, "reving up" with the extra load created by the games graphic aint good if ur not sure and just idell her along easy being careful to limit the use until u get that correct number for ur mother board and find out then where u stand.   But i m guessing ur right the mother board is standard stock put in the 9100's.... my mother board is Dell inc. 05DN3X. Hope that helps.

Good luck Tom and may the force be with u.      Stormy 

• Tom,

I forgot to add the temp u had on ur new card is not really excessive, my old card cureently in runs 142 to 143 with heavy gaming. 114 to 117 in idell use.Surely ur's is not excessively warm. The 1 gb is the memory used by the card to operate. So i have been told by Dell.   Stormy

• tmv123

I just ordered an Asus AMD Radeon HD7850 card.  This card runs cooler, and I don't have to upgrade my PSU which as you know is 525 watts.  I will NOT be over clocking this card.  I'm not running any other cards and this 7859 uses less power than other cards in it's class; according to what I read.  Thank you again.

By choosing NOT to upgrade your Power Supply, so seemed to have missed the main meaning/purpose of my post.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Okay Tesla,  I'll upgrade the PSU to an 850 corsair.  Though you said, "the old PSU" mine is only 16 months old, and it is 525 w.  It's capable of running the new card.  I'm not running anything else on my system besides basics, I.E. motherboard, one card, ane a drive.  No sata drives, or anything external.  BUT, I do know what you mean about pushing a small PSU.  I understand, and will do the upgrade.   Now that being said, I have the same motherboard as Stormy.  (Thanks Stormy)  Model 05DN3X chipset X58.  According to her, the motherboard GB has to match the graphics cards GB.  The new card I'm getting is a 2GB card.  She said it has to match the board, and she just purchased a 1GB card as described in her post.  Tesla, do you know if I can I run a 2GB card, and is my board compatible with it?  As stated, I did call Dell, they said I can run the 2GB card, and I did get the confirmation email from them:

Hi Thomas,

This is regarding SR# 859389810, wherein you are planning to
    upgrade your video card to AMD Radeon HD7850 2GB.  We've checked the System
    Requirement of this video card on

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7850/Pages/radeon-7850.aspx#/2

Based
    on the information we've gathered and the specifications of your Studio XPS
    9100, we were able to check that this video card is compatible with your
    system. 
    Thank you for choosing Dell.

Abigail
    Rep ID 0181264

Dell said I wouldn't have to upgrade the PSU, but TESLA, I think you're right, and I will do that!.  Thank you both!

Tom

• tmv123

. . .    I'll upgrade the PSU to an 850 corsair.    . . .    According to her, the motherboard GB has to match the graphics cards GB.  . . .

Good call on upgrading your PS to an 850.   My system has a 1,000watt PS for running two graphics cards in SLI, which I do with no problem.   Some of the NVIDIA graphics cards are power hungry and will require 400 watts just to run SLI mode graphics (for some cards).  The 600 series is lower power and future builds are trending to lower power.   So if you decide to go SLI or FireWire (depending on your motherboard chipset capability), the 850 watt PS should work well.

NO, the graphics card memory is independent of the memory on the motherboard.   So you can use a graphics card with the most memory for best graphics and gaming performance.   The graphics card does not use the PC memory for graphics.    Apparently you have 12GB of RAM per your early post.    That is more than ample to do anything you want.   Win 7 operating system only requires 2GB of RAM to preform well.

However, you will get better performance from your system with more memory since it will not have to use virtual memory for any tasks or programs.

BTW:   A better program for monitoring your temperatures is CPUID HWMonitor (CPUID.com).   It has been proven to be one of the most accurate.   Speccy is good to tell you what's in your PC.   But for finding temperatures it is rather clunky.   CPUID HWMointor  gives temperatures and voltages.

Tacoslammer - eating too many tacos too fast: - slammin'  'em down Ick!  

Signature now approved by Dell  Big Smile

If you can read this, thank a teacher. 
    If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran
    and a Border Patrol Agent for keeping our borders secure.

XPS 15 L502X, i7 6230QM, 8GB, GT525M, 640GB 7200rpm, WIN 7- 64bit, Security:  MSE, MalwareBytes free on both systems

XPS 720, Intel Q 6600quad CPU, 4GB, 750GB, 3@ 160GB, Nvidia 7900GS, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition

•  

tacoslammer/Tom

NO... i said radeon HD 6850 (1gb)  GDDR5 PCI Express graphics does not come in a (2 gb) for the 9100.comp. (per DELL supervisor !)

I said my mother board is 1 gb aswell. READ BACK ! I did not say they have to match !  Get the story straight.

AND Speccy is just as reliable on temps and does have voltage read out, besides telling specs. of the contents inside !  So is just as good as and reliable as CPUID HWMonitor ! Its all on what one a person prefers !!

• Okay Stormy, you're right, you did say that.  Sorry.  Trying to get this story correct... I was saying, that you said the motherboard and the graphics card had to be compatible.  Quote from you in an earlier post:  "I was assured my motherboard was compatible with the graphics card to soon be installed. Both needed to be 1 gb, and so they r and no change in clocking needed/ required should be happening."   Hence the words, "Both needed to be 1GB"  My board is the samre model as yours, 05DN3X, 1GB.  But I can use a 2GB card on it, and so can you.  However, with your new card, you don't have to change your power supply like I need to do.  In my case, Tesla and Tacoslammer are correct in having me upgrade the PSU.  (Though I didn't want to)  I was trying to get by with my 525 watt PSU, but that PSU will draw too much power from the wall, supply 450 watts of required power to my system.  I would be running my 525 watt PSU at over 90%, get hotter, and ware out faster.

With the 850 corsair gold I just bought from Amazon because Newegg was out of them...  I'll use half the wall energy, and the PSU will run cooler and only run at  a bit over 50% of it's capcity.  I'm starting to see the WHOLE picture, finally!!  I had some wonderful responses here!  Thank you all!

Tom