How to connect XPS to TV with HDMI cable?

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

How to connect XPS to TV with HDMI cable?

• HI,

Have my XPS plugged into a Sony Bravia tv by an HDMI cable.

Two nights ago I went through every configuration to get the desktop screen on the tv. Eventually I unplugged the HDMI and plugged it in again, and suddenly I had the pc on the tv. Hit'n'miss - smart technology -  I have no idea what I actually did to achieve this. Today no such luck.

I plug the XPS into the tv and select HDMI on the tv. I get a blank HDMI tv screen with the HDMI symbol at the top. Nothing pops up on the XPS to say it has recognised the HDMI connection. I cannot find HDMI in Device Manager so I can't see what the socket is doing.

Have searched HDMI in Win7 on the XPS and selected "connect to a tv" and "ok" but I notice the "apply" button is always faded out. I also select "Sony TV" which the XPS has remembered but again I cannot apply that selection. When I unplug the cable the XPS is still showing 'Sony TV' as an option.

I have also tried "search for a device" and even with the HDMI plugged in and the Bravia switched on & connected the search never ever detects the Bravia.

Advice please.

Many thanks,

Ric (UK)

• Update.

The NVIDIA  video card has allowed me to set the tv as a 'second monitor'. The tv now shows the desktop blue background without any icons. Whatever program you choose on the XPS you just get the blue. It proves that there is still a connection between the XPS and the tv but that's all. This is rubbish HDMI technology. I plugged my ancient XP into the back of the tv set and the desktop + icons were instantly there in VGA Sad

• What HDMI connection are you using on the computer?

Jeff Beer

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• kr236rk

Update.

The NVIDIA  video card has allowed me to set the tv as a 'second monitor'. The tv now shows the desktop blue background without any icons. Whatever program you choose on the XPS you just get the blue. It proves that there is still a connection between the XPS and the tv but that's all. This is rubbish HDMI technology. I plugged my ancient XP into the back of the tv set and the desktop + icons were instantly there in VGA Sad

You have to open a program on your PC and then drag whatever window over to the TV.   Example:  Windows Word Processor and a Game.  Drag the WINWORD window over to your monitor.  The Game stays on your main desktop monitor.  No programs or Icons appear on the 2nd monitor (TV) unless you drag them there.

Tacoslammer - eating too many tacos too fast: - slammin'  'em down Ick!  

Signature now approved by Dell  Big Smile

If you can read this, thank a teacher. 
    If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran
    and a Border Patrol Agent for keeping our borders secure.

XPS 15 L502X, i7 6230QM, 8GB, GT525M, 640GB 7200rpm, WIN 7- 64bit, Security:  MSE, MalwareBytes free on both systems

XPS 720, Intel Q 6600quad CPU, 4GB, 750GB, 3@ 160GB, Nvidia 7900GS, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition

• tacoslammer

No programs or Icons appear on the 2nd monitor (TV) unless you drag them there.

What he said ... but you can also make the TV the Primary monitor if you want.

When first powering everything on, be sure the TV is on FIRST so that the video card and Windows can read the TV's EDID info.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Hi Jeff,

The middle one at the back, under the xps logo

http://computershopper.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/dell-xps-15-right/723776-1-eng-US/dell-xps-15-right.jpg

• Thanks tacoslammer, but there is nothing on my desktop to drag anything to? Besides, I want to use the tv screen as the XPS's monitor. I managed this 2 nights ago and had a mirror desktop image on both XPS and the tv screen, but I don't know how to get back there.

• Dear Tesla,

I read you with thanks - but I always have the tv on and the channel set to HDMI / HDMI cable plugged both ways into XPS and tv. I power up the XPS and ... nothing. XPS boots up great, tv stays blank. In utter frustration I went into Nvdia and set the tv as a secondary monitor - which worked, gave me a blank blue Win7 screen (for gaming?) - but that's not what i need: i want to use the Bravia as the xps monitor. I know it can be done because I managed it 48 hours ago, but I have no idea what steps to follow to set this arrangement up again?

• Update.

Got there again but this time the XPS monitor blanks out and the tv screen takes the desktop and any other pc program you want to run. You type in "HDMI" into the Win7 search box and that will find options - one of which is use a tv as your monitor. When you click for that you have to select the setting for 2 monitors. Don't ask me why but this blanks out one display and opens it on another, it is very confusing. I will have to power down shortly and fingers crossed I can replicate this trick. I hope XPS will take a usb mouse because I am torturing myself reaching over the tv at the moment to operate the fingertip mouse pad on the XPS, having quite a short HDMI cable :-o

• Do you have a video card installed? In my system doing that DISABLES the HDMI port.

Jeff Beer

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• "Do you have a video card installed? In my system doing that DISABLES the HDMI port."

Thanks Jeff,

Yes the video card is Nvidia. But I managed to swap screens, only problem is the XPS screen display is slightly cropped by the tv :-|

• ". . . XPS screen display is slightly cropped by the tv."

You should be able to set the screen size with sliders in the Nvidia Control Panel and/or in the TV Setup manu.  This should help with the croping.

I think you should still be able to open a WINDOW (program), grab it at the top in the Blue (?) area by clicking and holding the left mouse button while you slide the Window to the second screen.

Tacoslammer - eating too many tacos too fast: - slammin'  'em down Ick!  

Signature now approved by Dell  Big Smile

If you can read this, thank a teacher. 
    If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran
    and a Border Patrol Agent for keeping our borders secure.

XPS 15 L502X, i7 6230QM, 8GB, GT525M, 640GB 7200rpm, WIN 7- 64bit, Security:  MSE, MalwareBytes free on both systems

XPS 720, Intel Q 6600quad CPU, 4GB, 750GB, 3@ 160GB, Nvidia 7900GS, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition

• Thanks. The sliders are set at maximum at the moment, when I reduce this the screen seems to get bigger as the resolution falls?

There is no second screen in the current mode. XPS blanks out and desktop appears on tv screen - I guess (as was suggested earlier) the HDMI bypasses the video card here?

Ric

• I am having the same trouble, but with my DELL hd tv. the hd cord is not registering that it is hooked up to the XBOX so that my son can play split screen with another player. The DELL people haven't been helpful so far, but after talking to Target and to the XBOX folks, it is most likely an issue with the DELL tv.

• I think we have the same problem, except when I type in hdmi to the search bar all I get is "connect to a projector" or "connect to an external display". Neither of these options help and nothing works. Have you by chance figured anything else out since your last post?