Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed

• I have a XPS L1501X running windows 7 64 bits. It's less than a year old.

Every time I run Sims 3 after a couple of minutes it goes into a black screen then blinks a bit and goes to a blue screen that says "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed"

I have updated all drivers from the video card, and doesn't make any difference. I runned all the test from the DELL support centre and everything seems to be fine.

In the performance and configuartion history appears as: 0xfffffa80064364e0 (0xfffff88004b13250, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000d)

I was really looking forward to play Sims3, can anybody help me?

Thanks

• Be sure you have all the latest drivers and the latest BIOS.

Re-install your Nvidia graphics driver.   Be sure to uninstall first then do a custom - clean install of the Nvidia driver.  Try the latest Nvidia Beta driver for your GPU and specify your operating system Win XP or Win 7 (32 ? or 64 ? bit). 

Otherwise, contact Dell Support.

Tacoslammer - eating too many tacos too fast: - slammin'  'em down Ick!  

Signature now approved by Dell  Big Smile

If you can read this, thank a teacher. 
    If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran
    and a Border Patrol Agent for keeping our borders secure.

XPS 15 L502X, i7 6230QM, 8GB, GT525M, 640GB 7200rpm, WIN 7- 64bit, Security:  MSE, MalwareBytes free on both systems

XPS 720, Intel Q 6600quad CPU, 4GB, 750GB, 3@ 160GB, Nvidia 7900GS, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition

• Thank you so much Taco Slammer for your reply.

The first thing I did was to update all the video drivers, but I didn't think of the Bios. So last night I updated the Bios also. Being sucha new machine it didn't occur to me that they may be obsolete.

What happens now is that instead of going to a black screen and then blue with the message, I just goes black, then goes out of the game into windows with the game minimise in the lower tray. When you try to mazimise the game again and go inside it seems that tries to restart something several times and you can see the cursor in white and the screen in black, blinking from time to time, even the music of the game on and off. Finally after a few seconds the cursor disapear and the screen stays black and  makes a rrrrrrrrrr noise. From that you have to switch off the machine as nothing works. Not even alt+ctrl+del.

I have Windows 7 64 bit.

• Sorry to hear you still have problems.  You do have a First Generation XPS 15; i.e. you have the 1st Gen Intel Sandy Bridge processor and chipset.  There were problems with the 1st Gen Intel's.  You may want to contact Dell Support.

XPS 15 L502X, i7 6230QM, 8GB, GT525M, 640GB 7200rpm, WIN 7- 64bit, Security:  MSE, MalwareBytes free on both systems

XPS 720, Intel Q 6600quad CPU, 4GB, 750GB, 3@ 160GB, Nvidia 7900GS, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition

• Another thing I just thought of is a virus or malware may have invaded your system.  Run CCleaner, MalwareBytes, and your virus scanner to check for issues.

BTW:  Virtually all new PCs are shipped with some obsolete drivers and software.  This is due to the timing issue of when the manufacturer obtains the programs and instals them on the "new" machine.  Always check with the manufacturer (in this case Dell) and search for new drivers, etc.  Check the release dates for the software & drivers.  Any with dates later than when the manufacturer first released the model PC you ordered are candidates for updating.  This includes drivers from Nvidia.  Dell does not update drivers much beyond 6 months after a new PC is released.  Hence, your graphic driver will most likely be the first to be out of date.  Nvidia updates drivers frequently.  Those updates include fixing issues with specific games and new settings for most games, especially the newer ones.  Go to the manufacturer's website to get the most recent drivers.

You can use Dell's support chat for additional help on your system with the obsolete Intel processor.