Forums

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

How can I disable Dell DataSafe Local Backup Premium upgrade messages?

• Today I started getting incessant "Upgrade Recommended" messages from Dell DataSafe Local Backup Basic edition, recommending that I upgrade to Premium. I have no desire to do so and selecting "Do Not Remind Me" does nothing. These popups are coming up every few minutes!

I'm running Win 7 Pro on a Dell Studio XPS 9100.

I disabled it on CCleaner startup menu and this also did nothing.

I am thisclose to uninstalling it entirely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

dg

• Make the backup media with it, the USB and or DVD. Then uninstall it, it has no other real use unless you upgrade it.

The Dell Quick Restore to factory settings will still work as it is on a hidden partition.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Thanks. I made the backup media (flash drive) when I got the machine and since then use Acronis regularly.

I seemed to have stopped the popups by disabling SoftThinks Agent Service, in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services as noted here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3526/p/19387655/19899865.aspx

but think I'll just uninstall anyway.

I thought it was weird that these just started appearing out of nowhere.

Thanks.

dg

• Should anything go totally wrong with you're system you can always reinstall with the method below aswell. Everything you need can be downloaded.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• You don't necessarily have to uninstal.Here's what I did. When the pop-up showed up on my system it appeared at the lower right hand corner and the entire dialogue box did not show. I started Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-delete), right clicked PC Angel Notifier, picked Minimize; Then I picked Maximize, and the entire dialogue boox showed up at the top left of the screen and here you can pick the box to don't show me this again!

Worked for me...

• It was actually showing the "Do Not Remind Me" choice and clicking it did nothing. These babies were appearing every few minutes.

Thanks.

dg

• Dg27:

That link

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3526/p/19387655/19899865.aspx

shows a bunch of "updating" remarks but no usefull infomation. Do you have a better link to how to disable SoftThinks?

I know how to disable it using your instructions, but I'd like to see what others are doing.

Radiodave

• I don't have any links: I disabled as described and haven't had the problem again.

• Aurora R1/X58 (Win-7 Ultimate 64bit)
    Dell Data Safe Local

Processes:
    Toaster.exe
    STService.exe

Services:
    SftService - SoftThinks Agent Service

Uninstalled on 3-2011
    - Doesn't even detect Resore Partition any more, even though I never messed with it.
    - An update a while back seemed to kill it (not that I ever used it)
    http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19347984.aspx?PageIndex=1

Stopped these Processes:
    Toaster.exe
    STService.exe

Uninstalled Dell DSL and rebooted

Directory in "Program Files (x86)" is removed
    Start-Menu Program icons are removed
    Tray Icon is removed
    Processes are gone
    Service is not running any more
    - Partiton still there (of course)

To finish, Uninstalled DSL "Support Software"
    - separate entry

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• The program WinPatrol at http://www.winpatrol.com is one I recommend every user should install before anything else on any new system.

Firstly, when you click on the Startup Programs tab (normally open when you start it) it lists all the programs that will start when you log into your account or start in the absence of an account login.  

Click on the title of a program then gives you the option to Remove it, or if you are not quite sure then you can simply Disable it which gives you the chance to Enable it later if you change your mind.  Or if you are simply unsure.

In particular, that will stop a lot of programs such as updaters that simply look to see if there is an updated version of the particular program available.  I prefer to set a program to look for updates when I use the program, which can be done for most applications.

The only issue I have found is identifying the program.  Paying the once-only lifetime subscription to PLUS gives you access to PLUS Info... which is more useful than what can otherwise become a hit and miss exercise,  In the absence of the PLUS option, you can refer to the Company (Microsoft and Intel are expected to be OK) and you can always Google the Command or the Title.

Once you have your startup well and truly cleaned out, you then need to attend to other programs that start running in the background by other means!  Restart your system, go back into WinPatrol and this time click on the Active Tasks tab and Scotty the Windows Watch Dog will have sniffed out programs that are currently running.  This time the Program Description and Company fields are a guide and you can Google the Module desciption.  Or PLUS Info,,, as before if you are subscribed.

However, you will not be able to kill all the programs.  As well, they will reappear when you next turn on your system.  In those cases you need to go to the application and check what options there are to disable functions of the program from within the program itself.  There are options after that which require a higher level of technical knowledge and solutions for the specific program or application which you can get in most cases by Googling the reference.  But, hopefully, what I have described with using WinPatrol will dispose of most of your problems including some you didn't know you had!

Cheers

• Hey, i also was looking in the internet for a answer, until I got it from somewhere

1. go to: control panel - services - disable soft thinks agency service

2. Also type msconfig on windows start/search and uncheck soft thinks agency service and the dell datasafe from the services tab. You can also disable datasafe from the startup tab aswel.

All this will disable -stservice.exe - toaster.exe and remove the dell datasafe logo from icons! No need for uninstall and major modifications.

worked for me, and reduced the load on my ram, so all good!

• Thanks, Darz.

That is an elegant solution for getting rid of Dell Datasafe ONLINE but I regret to say that it doesn't do anything in regard to Dell DataSafe LOCAL.

After making that change, I have found STSERVICE,exe, Toaster.exe, as well as DSUpd.exe still happily running as active tasks and the Dell DataSafe Local Backup icon sitting comfortably in the system tray.

I would suggest that the need to uninstall remains - after creating a set of Recovery Disks of course.  My choice is Revo Uninstaller which gives you a nice clean uninstall.  It has the option as to how deep a cleanand the free version works fine.  The big advantage it has over others is that it also deletes registry items and folders left by the uninstaller that comes supplied with the program.

I use a Western Digital My Book Elite 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive which provides continuous backup when idle, so having made an initial Recovery disk set, I would rather not have superfluous software on my system.  And definitely not running as a number of active tasks.

While I would like to think that there is a solution that doesn't require uninstalling, that doesn't appear to be likely at this stage.  Backing up is crucial and Dell appear to have responded by making things difficult for us to get around it, which I can understand.

Cheers

• Maybe this will clear things up...

Disable "My Dell Downloads" popup

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks, Rockstar-PudgyOne.

You have had a lot of grateful users with this advice, 

However, permanently deleting the offending files is possibly a bit extreme.  Like shooting the messenger!  You get rid of the problem but not the source. 

If you found you ever needed to restore things (when you sell your laptop) you could simply hide the offending files by:
    1. Identifying and locating  the offending files (STSERVICE.exe, Toaster.exe, and DSUpdate.exe), then
    2. Simply move (cut and paste) them to an archive folder (in my case create a new folder, \Program Files (x86)\Vault) along with a Notepad file which contains the reference to which folders they came from, e.g.  \Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\DSUpd.exe etc

However, I certainly appreciate the need for users to get quick relief.

Cheers

• Im no tech expert, but for some reason that worked for me, no idea why,  perhaps it depends on laptop model or dell datasafe version?