Disable Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen During Startup

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Disable Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen During Startup

• I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop, with just a single hard disk. During startup, there will be a boot screen, stating:" Intel Matrix Storage Version xxxx", shown after the Dell boot screen (the one showing F2 for BIOS and F12 for Boot Options). It is useless for me as I do not use RAID mode which is facilitated by this software. Plus, it slows down the boot-up screen as a few seconds is wasted showing this boot screen.

Is there a way to prevent this screen from showing up? Most probably, I will not going to use RAID mode.

Thank you for your advice.

• You can change it, but I recommend you leave it the way it is ... yes, even with just 1 drive.

There is only 2 settings for this SATA HDD controller:
    1. ATA (IDE compatibility) Mode
    2. RAID AHCI (Native mode)

AHCI mode is faster and enables performance features like Native Command Queuing (NCQ).

By living with an extra 4 seconds boot delay, the PC is faster the whole time it is on.

Also, if you change it while Windows is loaded you might have to re-install Windows or do a fix.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Odds are that you can change it to ATA Mode without dire problems. The system will boot slightly faster and then run about as fast as pond water! I strongly suggest that you leave it as is. Of course it's your system - your choice.

JeffBeer

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• I need to check back here this evening. ATA / ACHI...

• Thanks for the replies, guys.

Let me get this straight. If I leave the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen as it is, it will run in RAID ACHI mode. The bootup is slower, but the PC is subsequently much faster.

Otherwise, if I disable the screen by changing the BIOS setting, it will run in ATA mode and the bootup is faster, but the PC will suffer some reduction in performance. Correct me if I have said anything wrong.

I noticed that the default factory setting for 'SATA Operation' in BIOS, is 'RAID On', and this is my current setting. Is this reason why Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen appears during bootup? So, to disable the screen, I have to charge the setting to 'RAID Autodetect / ATA' mode, right? Sigh, it is kind of annoying to have this screen appearing. It is not that I have 2 hard disks that would utilize this screen.

Addtional Questions:

1. Suppose if I do charge to 'RAID Autodetect / ATA' mode, the only thing I have to do is just reinstall Windows, right? Will there not be any harm to my computer?

2. Intel Matrix Storage Manager has been replaced by Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Can I install Intel Rapid Storage Technology on my XPS 420 to update the SATA driver?

3. I have another computer, which is Alienware M15x, with Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed in default. And yet, during bootup of this laptop (single hard disk), there is no such Intel Rapid Storage Technology screen. Since Intel Matrix Storage Manager and Intel Rapid Storage Technology are pretty much the same thing, how come the boot screen are different?

Thanks again. 

• That about covers it...... The key here is -> RAID ACHI mode. Two different things. I tried ATA on my old (10 months) XPS 8100. The default is MUCH better. That said I had no problems in switching that setting or in switching it back. I'm sure you understand that all systems won't respond in the same way. What worked for me may not work for you. Always remember: We are just users trying to help other users here. I'm like you in that I try to squeeze every last bit of performance out of my system that I can.

Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Let us know how things work out!

Jeff  BeerBeer

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• Before you take advice from "Russ" click on his username, that will show you all of his posts. read a few...... You may want to listen to him - maybe not. And click on the other posters names and do the same.

It's fairly simple to figure out for yourself from whom you would like to take advice. Or NOT!

Jeff Beer

• Yes, that is all correct ... so leave it in RAID mode.

1. If you change it, it might just disappear (and slow everything down) or Windows might complain and you will have it either fix it or re-install Windows.

2. Yes, they changed the names. Yes, you should be able to install it. It's a way to control and monitor it within Windows. However, once it's installed in Windows 7, it replaces the Microsoft HDD driver with the Intel one. Once you do this, it can never be reversed. Even if you uninstall Intel RST, the driver replacement stays behind.

3. Not sure about the laptops, but on the AW desktops ... the BIOS level screen is hidden. The HDD controller still initalizes, but in a hidden way. If you install another HDD in a true RAID way, you can change the BIOS option to display the initialization screen.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• I can't believe they still allow you to post here.

Jeff Beer

EDIT: This was aimed at Russ.

• I agree and am one of the growing number who sincerely wish that "Russ" were NOT here. Ever.

• You're a funny guy! I'll "remain quiet" if and when I want to. We are just users trying to help other users. Your posts do nothing to further that aim and are therefore less than useless.

Jeff Beer

• I agree, Jeff! He IS  a funny guy, in a get him some lithium and a straight jacket sort of way.

Seriously, after 12 years of success with 7 systems ( I usually have two at any given time), I don't think I'm jumping ship just yet. And regarding "our friend's" fanboy allegiance to all things Applehead, this is not the forum for that kind of debate. And for what it's worth I am OS agnostic: they all have their issues. I had two jobs where over the course of 12 years I had Macs and PCs (one of each on my desk) and guess what: The Macs crashed, burned, and died MORE often than the PCs.The only difference was that the funeral services were far more costly!

My advice is to our very troubled friend: Get a meaningful hobby, get a real job, or get a life: But please, get out of here.

We are here to help one another, not fan the flames of hatred with vitriolic words.

dg

• Ok guys - serious business here...I can use some help with ATA vs. ACHI setting on a Studio XPS 1640 system.

System Summary: XPS 1640 replaced original Vista OS w/ a new re-install of XP then added VistaBootPRO 3.3to enable a "multi boot" system and added Vista and Win7 to make a "tri-boot" laptop. The exact order of install may not be correct. It currently has option to select any of 3 OS upon startup: XP / Vista / Win7. 

Problem 1: is that I must manually change BIOS setting to ATA when booting to XP or VISTA, and must remember to manually change to AHCI before booting to WIN7 - otherwise, I get a "fast" dark blue screen (aka BSOD without freeze) then auto re-boot. I think WIN7 is installed as 64bit and XP / VISTA is 32bit OS.

Problem 2: In order to avoid "IE image flicker" after first startup to WIN7, I must "logoff" and then "log back on" so that internet images do not "flicker" as if trying to constantly "refresh the images on any web page".

I would like to know how I can "fix". Either "fix" XP and VISTA installs to use ACHI (instead of ATA) or "fix" WIN7 to use ATA (this is less desirable), without having to re-install any OS from scratch again.

Serious help here may be "re-warded" or, if from Dell, another new purchase or so this year! I am very happy with this XPS16...ANY HINTS are WELCOME and APPRECIATED!

sf

• SFrushon

Ok guys - serious business here...I can use some help with ATA vs. ACHI setting on a Studio XPS 1640 system.

System Summary: XPS 1640 replaced original Vista OS w/ a new re-install of XP then added VistaBootPRO 3.3to enable a "multi boot" system and added Vista and Win7 to make a "tri-boot" laptop. The exact order of install may not be correct. It currently has option to select any of 3 OS upon startup: XP / Vista / Win7. 

Problem 1: is that I must manually change BIOS setting to ATA when booting to XP or VISTA, and must remember to manually change to AHCI before booting to WIN7 - otherwise, I get a "fast" dark blue screen (aka BSOD without freeze) then auto re-boot. I think WIN7 is installed as 64bit and XP / VISTA is 32bit OS.

Problem 2: In order to avoid "IE image flicker" after first startup to WIN7, I must "logoff" and then "log back on" so that internet images do not "flicker" as if trying to constantly "refresh the images on any web page".

I would like to know how I can "fix". Either "fix" XP and VISTA installs to use ACHI (instead of ATA) or "fix" WIN7 to use ATA (this is less desirable), without having to re-install any OS from scratch again.

Serious help here may be "re-warded" or, if from Dell, another new purchase or so this year! I am very happy with this XPS16...ANY HINTS are WELCOME and APPRECIATED!

sf

When my XPS-410 desktop was new and my main computer (for 3 years) I had the SATA set to the faster AHCI-RAID mode. I ran a tri-boot on that system with no problems

1. XP Pro 32
    2. Vista Ultimate 32
    3. Vista Pro 64 (and then Win7 Pro 64)

Ran fine. Never any problems booting. I never messed with the BIOS SATA option ... but I've heard that if it's set to IDE mode when you install Windows (maybe just XP or Vista) you might have trouble changing it later. I suggest set it to RAID and reinstall OSes.

I always installed OSes in proper order (as listed above ... oldest to newest releases). For example, in the above setup, if I wanted to re-installed Vista 32 ... I would, but then Win7 would have to re-installed.

Yes, I used VistaBootPro when it was free. Now I use EasyBCD v1.7.2.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Thank You Tesla1856!