Full HD option for the new XPS 17

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Full HD option for the new XPS 17

• why isnt there any option for a Full HD (1080p) screen on a Dell XPS 17.If the XPS 15 can have it then why not the XPS 17.which needs it all the more since its more of a gaming/multimedia laptop for a complete experience.And anyway for that price(around $1500) most  other companies have standard full HD screen.Hope Dell looks into this matter soon enough or else XPS 17 in my opinion lags behind the competetors(i.e. Sony,Toshiba,HP,Asus) in terms of a gaming/multimedia laptop.XPS 17 would have been a wonderful and complete laptop with the 17 inch Full HD screen.Lack of Full HD screen doesnt do justice to the 17 inch frame as well as the 3gb video card that comes with it.

• Hi there!  Thanks for making your voice heard and for joining others in asking Dell for this same feature.  It only makes sense that the XPS17 receives a 1080p display with the video card and all the other toys.

So far really enjoying my XPS17 but have to agree, it would have been a very nice option.

Happy holidays! Wink

• Hi gilgomez..congrats on ur new lappy..i m sure u r enjoyin it a lot...a gr8 one to have...i m also lookin to buy a desktop replacement at around $1500 and hence has been looking at Asus G73JW-A1 and Toshiba Qosmio X-505 apart from the XPS 17.Thing is for a 17 inch screen a full HD becomes a must.i dont like the qosmio for the plastic-y look it has..i like XPS 17 look and also the fact that u can customize it at the dell design studio Wink

couple of quick questions tho..

1.would i need a laptop cooler ? does it get hot considering that i would be gaming  and would push the i7 and NVIDIA quite  a bit Big SmileGeeked

2.how does the 900p screen hold up...? and does the graphics card come with a tv tuner ? also i agree with some of the others that the bluetooth and the backlit keyboard should be made standard along with the 1080p for that price range.

its always great to know the experience of an owner rather than just reading reviews so i may hurl a few questions at you Stick out tongue

enjoy ur XPS ...i heard the speakers are awesome .. Wink 

• Souravsunny:

Yes, I am enjoying my new XPS17 but let me say that for having paid top dollar for a "performance" XPS, the display is no better than my almost 6 year old Toshiba 16" notebook.  Really, Dell needs to not only make the XPS have the 1080p full HD displays a common feature, they also shouldn't be so cheap as to charge extra for the bluetooth or backlit keyboard.  Sony and Asus make those common now and the XPS is definitely not low or budget priced.  So I am disappointed that they nickel and dime you for each little thing like the recovery discs when again, they really need to elevate the XPS line and make recovery discs also part of the package.  Dell should return to its roots when it was a stellar company known for top notch hardware and customer service; they used to always include great documentation and recovery discs PLUS throw in lots of little hardware perks.

Aside from the gripe regarding Dell having gotten a bit "el cheapo" on including hardware that is common in the current market, let's talk about the XPS 17 experience.

1. I would definitely suggest a good quality laptop base cooler simply for the ergonomics, comfort and of course to keep your lap comfortable.  Heat also kills notebooks so it should go without saying than whenever possible use some sort of cooling pad.  I have a very comfortable wedge base from Targus which I picked up at Costco at a very reasonable price.  It is wide enough for the huge XPS17, the fans are quite discreet and run off the notebook's USB and the angle is perfect for keyboard comfort and screen height comfort.  The notebook itself gets warm only at the fan exhaust side which is on the left; it is very well ventilated and honestly isn't a bother at all nor does the top deck ever get hot or uncomfortable.

2. The screen is sharp and bright but alas, not 1080p.  The NVIDIA 445 graphics card does come with the TV tuner integrated as an option, something I did NOT order because I had been promised (at point of sale) that this unit would wirelessly stream to my HDTV and it would wirelessly connect to my home network to pick up shows.  If using it as a DVR or extension of your home entertainment system is important and you do NOT mind using cables (yes, old fashion wires my dear) to connect them, then go ahead and get the TV tuner built in.  I decided that if no wireless solution is at hand or if my situation changes and I need a TV tuner card, I will purchase the Hauppage external adapter which is easily found for less than $49.

If your unit isn't ordered yet or if still contemplating an order, please consider upgrading the i7 to the 840 or downgrading to the i5 or ask for some other graphics card that truly supports WIDI, Optimus technology, etc.  I would if I didn't already have mine home; I would upgrade or change configuration or seriously consider going Asus.

Good luck to you and please let us know what you decide.  The XPS17 is a terrific higher end desktop replacement and it performs well.  And yes, the speakers are awesome!!!

• I did read an article that FHD(1080p) with 3D option will be available on L702X model(which is the next refresh in Q1 2011).

Dell XPS 17 (L701X) // i7 840QM // 16 GB Ram ddr3-1333 // nVidia GT 445M 3GB // 1600x900 // Internal TV Card // Win7 Ultimate 64bit

• RidhuanKim

I did read an article that FHD(1080p) with 3D option will be available on L702X model(which is the next refresh in Q1 2011).

Hi Ridhuankim. I AM IN QUITE A DILEMMA AND NEED YOUR HELP. I WANT TO ORDER AN XPS17 BUT I WANT THE FULL HI DEF 1920X1080 SCREEN ALSO (AND I AM WILLING TO WAIT FOR IT). I USED DELL CHAT TO ASK ABOUT THIS AND NO ONE THERE SEEMS TO KNOW IF XPS 17 WILL BE OFFERED WITH 1080P IN 2011.

CAN YOU SEND ME THE LINK FOR THE ARTICLE YOU READ DESCRIBED IN YOUR POST?  I EITHER NEED TO BUY THE XPS 17 NOW AS IS OR WAIT FOR THE FULL HD OPTION IN 2011 AND RISK LOSING A NICE DISCOUNT I WAS GIVEN IF I ORDER TODAY (O R VERY SOON).

Thanks in advance for your help!Cool

• Got your notice through automated alert thru email,

Do not mean to intrude, But I do monitor this thread for questions I think I can help with,

from my understanding the L702X is due early spring but this site has some good info If you planning to wait for it

http://dell-lab.posterous.com/say-hello-to-the-xps-l702x

I am happy with my L701X and the upgrade for screen is under $160.00 with some searching.

Hopes this helps.

• Hi, The article I was talking about is actually same as RoosterRed.

In fact, many other sites refer to Eric.G's blog for that same information so I guess this is the root of the source although I am not sure what is the relationship between Eric and Dell.

http://dell-lab.posterous.com/

But same like Apple will not comment on your enquiries about the next generation iPhone, Dell is not giving out any "Official" comment on this rumor.

If you have not already made an order, it would be good to wait if it is not urgent for you.

Dell XPS 17 (L701X) // i7 840QM // 16 GB Ram ddr3-1333 // nVidia GT 445M 3GB // 1600x900 // Internal TV Card // Win7 Ultimate 64bit

• Hi, RoosterRed.

Do you mean we have option to upgrade to FHD even after purchasing L701X?

Can you share the source of that information?

Thanks

• I guess you were talking about

Official "swapping the XPS 17 L701x screen" thread

• officially no.  But you can, on your own (its a really simple process) replace the current screen with a aftermarket screen for around $160.00 roughly. And yes your "laptop" will still be under warrenty, just not the screen. there has been a thread created at a forum that I hover over religiously http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/544174-official-swapping-xps-17-l701x-screen-thread.html that shows the process from the beginning and the journey of many users who are indeed upgrading their own screen.

If the price is that good for the L701x get it. our motherboard and graphic cards (well, mainly 445M) will support the FHD screen.

RoosterCool

XPS 17, Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz /6M, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M 3GB with Optimus / TV Tuner, 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo, JBL 2.1 Speakers, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 WiFi card,  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Dimension 3000 Desktop, Intel Xeon Processor 3GHz / 8M Cache / 667 MHz FSB, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, 17” Flat Panel Display, Toshiba DVD Drive, Windows XP 32bit

• Thats the one!... I can vouch for just about every poster on that thread (well, except for me, that would be unfair to the rest of them..Big Smile)

RoosterCool

XPS 17, Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz /6M, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M 3GB with Optimus / TV Tuner, 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo, JBL 2.1 Speakers, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 WiFi card,  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Dimension 3000 Desktop, Intel Xeon Processor 3GHz / 8M Cache / 667 MHz FSB, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, 17” Flat Panel Display, Toshiba DVD Drive, Windows XP 32bit

• http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/544174-official-swapping-xps-17-l701x-screen-thread-5.html

• Hi RoosterRed and thank you for your reply. I have decided to wait for the full HD multi-touch version of the XPS 17 (I702X). Given this decision:

1. I was wondering where you found the upgrade price of "under 160.00 qith some searching"?

2. Also, I was wondering if you had any inside word on WHEN the 702 is going to be made available by DELL?

3. Perhaps there is also some info on about how much the new version will cost?

4. Finally, where on the net would you go to keep track of it's impending release?

Again, THANK YOU for our help!

• Hi RiduanKim and thank you for your reply. I have decided to wait for the full HD multi-touch version of the XPS 17 (I702X). Given this decision (also asked of Rooster Red):

1. I was wondering where you found the upgrade price of "under 160.00 with some searching"?

2. Also, I was wondering if you had any inside word on WHEN the 702 is going to be made available by DELL?

3. Perhaps there is also some info on about how much the new version will cost?

4. Finally, where on the net would you go to keep track of it's impending release?

Again, THANK YOU for our help!