RESTORE TO DEFAULT FACTORY SETTINGS

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

RESTORE TO DEFAULT FACTORY SETTINGS

• Hi all,

i have an a dell xps 1640. i have been trying to restore to my computer from the F8 screen when the computer boots.

But the issue is that when im trying to do so, a black screen appears and nothing else happnes. i have waited for almost one hour but nofing great hapens. i get the same black screen.

kindly help how should i perform the same task

regards,

Nihaal

• Instructions from the user manul

Dell Factory Image Restore
    Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo 1. appears, press <F8> several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.
    Select 2. Repair Your Computer.
    The 3. System Recovery Options window appears.
    Select a keyboard layout and click 4. Next.
    To access the recovery options, log on as a 5. local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.
    Click 6. Dell Factory Image Restore. The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.
    NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.
    Click 7. Next. The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.
    NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.
    Select the checkbox to confirm that you 8. want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory condition, then click Next.
    The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.
    Click 9. Finish to reboot the system.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Your reply does not answer or help Nihaal. Nihaal states that when F8 is press only a black screen appears.

• why are you replying to a two month old thread in a negative way?

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

• Sorry you felt this was negative, I was just stating the facts.  Normally the originator of the thread will state that the recommendation helped. I did not know there was a time limit on replying to threads. Normally if you are not suppose to reply, the thread would be closed.

From what Nihaal had described he was well aware of the restore procedures but came to a black screen, you repeating the procedures did not address his situation. I am sorry you feel that my response was negative but I stand by my reply.

• I have a somewhat different issue.  When I hit the F8 Key I get the advanced boot up menu but it doesn't have the option to repair or do the factory reset, just options to boot in various safe modes, diagnostic or debugging modes.

I still have the full D partition with the full image, but I can't get to the menu that will let me use it.

Thanks

Andrew

• this thread is over a year old. You should really post a new thread with your issue and state your computer model number as well as your operating system

Forum member since 2003