Dell xps 15 L502x Problems!

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Dell xps 15 L502x Problems!

• I just happened to purchase a dell xps 15 a month ago which packs an i7 2670 and 8 gigs of Ram and an Nvidia Geforce 540 GT M. When i play  a song and simultaneously open a new web page tab or a new web page, The sound stutters for 2 seconds, it doesn't happen all the time but more often than not it does. Its really annoying and depressing! I  spent $ 1618 on this stupid machine! This problem never occurred initially  but since the past one week it has surfaced! Another thing is that when I look at pics on facebook, They appear a bit blurred, especially if they've been taken from an average camera! I mean my 4 year old PC gives better display quality! And thirdly  the sound aint that loud either! JBL speakers! I need help as to what to do! I did what people said and deleted MC Afee and installed AVG but of no avail, the stuttering still occasionally  persists! Any response would be appreciated! P.S my laptop screen is a 1366x768 resolution Display.

• ronxps15,

Try posting about the audio in the Dell Laptop Audio Forum. There are members there that can help with the Audio.

When you removed McAfee, did you use the McAfee Removal Tool

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• ronxps15,

Run the McAfee Removal tool to remove anything it may have left. Sometimes virus programs conflict with each other.

I use FREE Avast Home Edition It has a GREAT Real-time scanner.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• RonXPS15

I've got exactly the same problem. When I play music or even some videos and try to do something else at the same time it starts stuttering. It's reaaaally annoying. In my case it happens always. In this moment i'm in contact with the technical department here in spain looking for a solution. By the moment we already have reinstalled the last Bios and audio card drivers, but it didn't work. I'll tell you more as soon as know it.

Please answer me if you managed to fix the problem!!

Regards,

•  Hey, My problem got fixed  on its own, i didn't have to do anything, I just uninstalled mc afeee and installed avg free edition. My windows 7 also updated itself and ever since  , the problem has ceased to occur, didn't have to do anything else, try it , Hope it works for the best .

• Hey Rick-

Maybe we should try to get a Stickey in the forum about Dumping McAfee.  Dell keeps putting it on all their PCs and McAfee causes more problems than it is supposed to prevent..   I keep seeing that time after time.   I went through their infected update a couple of years ago, had to reformat my HDD and reinstall everything, and still had problems ever since.   Finally dumped McAfee, went to Microsoft Security Essentials, and what a performance boost.   Any of the TOP free antivirus would be good.  One that includes malware prevention for other than just antivirus like MSE and AVG.  Not sure if any other in the top free catergory.

Tom

Tacoslammer - eating too many tacos too fast: - slammin'  'em down Ick!  

Signature now approved by Dell  Big Smile

If you can read this, thank a teacher. 
    If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran
    and a Border Patrol Agent for keeping our borders secure.

XPS 15 L502X, i7 6230QM, 8GB, GT525M, 640GB 7200rpm, WIN 7- 64bit, Security:  MSE, MalwareBytes free on both systems

XPS 720, Intel Q 6600quad CPU, 4GB, 750GB, 3@ 160GB, Nvidia 7900GS, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition

• Tom,

A sticky cannot be used for this purpose. A Sticky is used to help provide useful information for the other members.

Some people like the way McAfee works and some ISP's offere this for FREE if yuou have their services. All members have different preferences for virus programs and other programs/software. The list would be a different kind of list. I use a different virus program from what you mentioned here and have NOT had any virus problems on my system. I selected the virus program because I like the real-time scanner and it has kept the computers in my home running virus free. I have seen viruses get past the ones listed above, so it's a matter of which one you like. I have tried the ones listed above on my own computer and the computers at work, where I am forced to use them, since I'm a restricted user there.

The OP problems can also come from a number of other issues, like running too many programs at startup, then it can also slow down the computer. A good article to read is...

Windows startup programs. What are they? Are they required? How can I disable them?

Yes, some programs running in the background will slow down the computer and that can cause stuttering. When using DVD's codecs are also needed to be able to view the DVD's.

Best advice is to ask other members on the forums.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

I am very knowledgable (near your expertise) about the causes of OP problems, etc.  I have been in the Dell Community since before the XPS 700 debacle and assisted GBAKMARS getting that problem resolved and worked to get RampantSpeculation started as a result.

I use a number of tools to keep my system clear.  McAfee is a bad actor.  ISP's have been sold a bill of goods and they get a fee from McAfee for any customers install the complete or advanced McAfee program(s).   The ISP programs operate from the ISP server and are not installed on your computer unless you choose to do so.  Then at renewal the customer has to pay to continue - the ISP gets a commision from that as well.  So don't use the ISP as an endorsement for McAfee.

I have used McAfee for years until my latest subscription was about to expire.  I have had many problems with McAfee.  A couple of years ago McAfee pushed out an infected update that affected worldwide PCs.  It took forever with McAfee getting the problem partially resolved.  I had to Install Linux to clean up and get files not backed up off the OS HDD as Windows would not open.  A clean format of the HDD and install of XP was required.  Getting SP3 was difficult as the Dell installation CD did not include SP3.  So all updates had to be installed.  Finding some earlier updates required thrid party downloads before SP3 could be installed.  Finally got things to work.   McAfee was taking forever to scan even though set for 2AM scan start, it took about 8 hours.  McAfee had extended my renewal for 2 years.  So I stupidly stuck with it until early this year.   I could no longer put up with McAfee other problems and program interfeerence.  Hence ditching it for Microsoft Security Essentials.  I am convinced no antivirus is better than McAfee. 

I have the same startup programs after Dumping McAfee as before.

BTW: your link to McAfee Removal Tool info is not valid.   I think this McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR.exe) link is more appropriate:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331  And can be downloaded here:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe  The first thing is to remove McAfee with Revo Uninstall as it removes more completely than Windows Add/Remove Programs.  Reboot.  Run MCPR.exe.  Reboot.  Run registry cleaner from CCleaner or other good registry cleaner to remove left overs not removed by McAfee's tool.  The MCPR.exe still does not completely remove McAfee.  McAfee is a very difficult program to remove completely.

All antivirus programs are not foolproof.  So, as I said in another post, any top rated free antivirus programs are good provided they also prevent most other spybots, worms, adware, trojans, other parasites, and other malware as well.  

A Sticky would be very useful about this to everone:  "A Sticky is used to help provide useful information for the other members."    Getting rid of McAfee is one of the most helpful things I can recommend.  Several have reported improvements with the game freezing issue after removing McAfee.

Tom

XPS 15 L502X, i7 6230QM, 8GB, GT525M, 640GB 7200rpm, WIN 7- 64bit, Security:  MSE, MalwareBytes free on both systems

XPS 720, Intel Q 6600quad CPU, 4GB, 750GB, 3@ 160GB, Nvidia 7900GS, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition

• Tom,

Thanks for providing the information. It's amazing that McAfee removed their Removal Tool. I usually like refering the people to the manufacturers website.

Your top link take me to some type of submit feedback on the article. If you caan find the page before the direct link, I would appreciate it. I like the member to see what they are downloading before they download a file.

You can start a conversation on McAfee at  Dell Virus & Spyware Forums I'm sure the discussion will give many different opinions.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick:

In my link the "link" adder in the reply editor added two extra components.  The actual correct page is:  (copy the text and enter in the browser location space)

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

The editor linker added " amp; " between the amper sign and " id":   http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

It may have done something similar to your link!

Can't imagine why this happens.

My other link is valid in that it provides the direct download link to MCPR.exe.

Thanks for the McAfee Dell Virus & Spyware Forum link.  Sometime I'll put something there.  Interesting.  Is that info easily located in Dell support - I have not looked.  I do not think people are aware of this nor look for it when they have system problems.  That's why it would be good to have a Sticky to let people know about McAfee issues causing problems with their Dell computers.  The problem may not show up until a program is loaded that causes McAfee hickups that cause crashes and whatnot.

I am not into all this on an everyday occasion anymore.  I do but in when I am online and see where I can help or I think smoeone is providing bogus or weak information.

• Tom,

I have corrected the link above. I use bookmarks and my book mark could not find the page. McAfee has changed their website, so that is why it was not found.

Enjoy your conversation in the other discussion board.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I'm nobody but even i know that McAfee is bloatware. It's much like a virus itself in that it slows your system, has software compatibility issues, redirects your browser, creates drama from the otherwise innocuous, and once it is installed you can never fully get rid of it. I've never had anything but issues with it and if I'm not careful after removing it it will reappear. I'd swear their marketing practices model the very entities which they're supposed to be protecting us from. They are not alone in this, sadly. Since I installed Microsoft Security Essentials I've had none of these issues. Plus, i don't have to buy the program every year or two. I'd have been happier if none of my Dell comps had come with any AV software or at least gave me an option to choose. There's a thought.

xps630i Q6600 Quad Core

Vista Home Premium x86

4GB crucial memory

Kingston 128GB SSD

Tarantula keyboard and Cyborg R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse

pretty stock

• Hii, am also suffering from the same problem the machine is stucking for seconed while play a song or video do you advise to do the same like you?

and the problem doesn't appear again after uninstalling the Mcafee.

ThankYou

• Hello,

The technichal support here in spain has replaced my hdd. By the moment it looks like it has fixed the problem. No more stutters in two days. I´m still doing some tests but it seems everything work properly. They even have reinstalled Mcaffe, which obviusly i'll delete asap, and it works anyway.

•  Hi. Yes I did purchased the same junk and have same problem. I have called them and they did replace new mother bored and speakers but that did not help. I asked to replace the PC the did and it has the same problem. They do provide good service so I have to keep calling them to fix it until it is right.

I have full HD screen and seems to be working alright.

I had other problem too: when I close the lid while movie is playing I set it to sleep mode but in the few hours later on whatever was playing on it starts playing even when lid is closed.