Keyboard backlighting not working

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Keyboard backlighting not working

• Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15 l502x. It's not bad, except for the fact that I can't get the backlight to work. I checked the settings and can confirm that the functionality is set to 'on' and the intensity is maximum. Any pointers on what I'm missing here and how this can be fixed? Quite irritating, since I work predominantly in dim light and the backlight would be real helpful!

• deepakprince,

I suspect the little wire (#3 in the Service Manual) has come off.

Unless one of these settings below has changed.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I have a problem is that my keyboard does not work only the lights, buy a new keyboardand nothing still does not work the lights and just about anything else

• Kastro_,

Make and model of your computer, I might be able to find instructions for you to check to see if the wires are connected.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• the model is already eh xps 15 l502x tried all cables and connections, replace the keyboard and the motherboard and still does not work only work lights

• Kastro_,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

Start, control panel, Windows mobility center.

Click on the little square in the keyboard brightness on.

You should see...

Rick

#DellRockStar

• What does not work are the keys, and as I said and change the keyboard, the motherboard and no nothing, just continue to operate the lights

• Kastro_,

I would check to see ig the wire is connected to the keyboard(instructions here) Seems starnge that the keyboard doesn't work.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• nd the manual probe with two different keyboards and still no change, only the keyboardlights come on but no keys work, no way, also formate windows and nothing

• Kastro_,

I replaced one a while back. The large waffle wire is for the keys. The little wire is for the lights.

Wonder if the keyboard malfunctioned.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I bought a new keyboard and does not work .. key no nothing just turn on the lights

• Now i am not sure if i have a backlit keyboard or not because dell sent me the computer as a replacement. But, i have the option to turn it on but it doesn't turn on. Does this mean i dont have a backlit keyboard or there is some other problem? If anyone could help that would be amazing. Thank you!