monitor says "no signal, going to sleep"

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

monitor says "no signal, going to sleep"

• Hello XPS club

I have an XPS dimension 700 given to my family by my brother. It has been working fine for a long time.

However the other day when my son switched on he told me the monitor wasn't working. When I tried to boot up, the monitor says "no signal, going to sleep". I tried attaching another monitor with a different cable and got the same message. I bought a new VGA to DVI adapter but still get the same message.

I looked at the diagnostic lights 1-4 on the front of the machine. They are briefly visible when the machine boots up but once it's stopped churning away they are not illuminated.  There is a wireless internet gadget in one of the usb ports which flashes away as usual and the hard disk green light flickers on and off as usual.

A helpful member in the monitors forum suggested I may need a new video card but asked me to check here first.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

• Sounds like normal operation except for the lack of video.

You might try re-seating the video card and make sure that no cables or cards came lose inside the computer.

Not sure if that system uses an AGP or PCIe slot video card. Whatever it uses, just install a proper good/working one (doesn't have to be fast or anything) and see if you can get some video. Once you get some video, you should be able to make a determination about the health of the computer.

Video cards do tend to fail. Especially the high-powered ones. However, you won't really know what all is wrong with the computer until you get it working.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• It would be good if you had another monitor.

Are you sure it is the video and not the monitor?

Dell XPS 17 (L701X) // i7 840QM // 16 GB Ram ddr3-1333 // nVidia GT 445M 3GB // 1600x900 // Internal TV Card // Win7 Ultimate 64bit

• Thank you for your help Tesla1856

I am not someone who knows how to open up computers and find a video card. I am willing to give it a go though. Is there a webpage with instructions which tell you how to do this?  My brother will have thrown away the user manual years back.  The computer was working fine, I think it has to be something to do with sending the information to the monitor being broken.

If I can access some instructions and diagrams I could have a go, nothing to lose anyway as we can't get to what is there unless I try!

• I have found the user manual in the dell pages. So I have instructions on how to open up the computer and how to find the PCI cards.

SO: should I just remove the card(s) and take them to a shop and ask to buy a new one and put that in?

• When I answer these messages, I never know how familiar a certain person is with working inside computers.

It sounds like a nice computer ... you don't want to break it further or make it worse (very easy to do if you don't know what you are doing) Smile

I suggest you take the whole computer to the shop and either let them help you find a suitable video card and/or find out what all is wrong with the computer. A close friend that "knows computers hardware" would be another option.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• I am having the same problem. I have a 5 yr old XPS gaming computer that recently went down. I have replaced the video card and am still getting an error message on the screen, stating that I need to try another connection and than the screen powers down. I have tried 3 separate types of cables to the screen and I keep getting the same message. I even had the hard drive removed and cleaned up...HELP!!