Any owners of new XPS17 with i7 out there?

XPS Club

XPS Club
Share your XPS experiences and join in the conversation with other XPS users.

Any owners of new XPS17 with i7 out there?

• Hello XPS owners.  I am awaiting delivery of my brand new XPS17 laptop and wonder if there are any other new XPS laptop owners out there?

Anyone having issues with their new laptop?  Are you happy with the performance? 

Thanks,

Gilgomez  Wink

• Let us know how you like it.

It's nice that the options are close to the Alienware models. It would be good to hear that the build quality and durability turns out to be closer to the Latitude and Precision models.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• yup...but i've Studio XPS16...

Buy on Sept 09,i7(720-QM),4GB DDR3,1GB ATI Radeon HD4670..

I'm happy with the performance and very quick heat...but it just create heat, not overheat and i've test it up to 16hrs so far & did't find any problem...same with the charger, it very hot after i charge my xps...but that is last years, i think may be dell had done someting to upgrade thier product since many owner complaint about the quick heat...

• Yes I am for the most part,

except with the imcompatibility issue with the push2tv Super Angry, I have been very happy with my Laptop.

XPS 17,

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz / up to SC 2.93GHz / 6M,

8GB, DDR3, 2 DIMM Ram,

NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M 3GB graphics with Optimus and TV Tuner,

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200,

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

• Looks like Push2tv has some very specific Intel hardware requirements.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3443997&&~bk=gr:systemsrec2_default,g:AlsoUsed,rk:2

http://www.netgear.com/ptv

... and, of course, you have to get the Intel Wireless Display software running on the laptop.

And to the person who just got their post removed ...

You can't really go from HDMI to VGA (afford-ably) but you should be able to go from DisplayPort to VGA monitor with a special cable.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Yep,

I agree about the NETGEAR requirements for Intel wifi support, the issue is that when I purchased this laptop, there was no documentation stating so for this configuration, and Dell suggested that it would work and was supported. But, now, if you were to purchase same said items, it now states only supported by i5 processors. It's really more of a Dell slip up with researching compatibility issues and waiting for a fix. But thanks for your info.

Rooster

XPS 17

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz / up to SC 2.93GHz / 6M

8GB,DDR3,2 DIMM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M 3GB graphics with Optimus and TV Tuner

640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)

JBL 2.1 Speakers

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200

• In addition to the lack of Push2TV. this laptop does NOT support Nvidia Optimus graphics switching, when purchased with the i7 processor.  Otherwise it is a very enjoyable laptop to use, great keyboard and sound and love the backlit keyboard.

It is fast but not lightening quick as expected having upgraded to the i7 and I got my first blue screen of terror this morning.  Hope that was just a fluke; restarted Windows in normal mode.

I suggest Dell trains their sales force on the new XPS system features and makes sure they understand the compatibility issues with the various chipsets or processors.  They should be able to offer clear guidance to customers placing orders to avoid disappointments when buyers realize their units don't have all the extra features shown on the XPS pages. 

• In reference to the non support of graphics switching, I believe it's from the i7 processor not actually having room for on board graphics due to being a "quad" processor.  This, as you are aware of, was not caught by Dell's research team when they were configuring the L701x model.

I agree about Dell's sales force.  Though I did not speak to a sales person, I did count on the advertised information to be correct and true, especially from a Company like Dell.  Though I have only owned Dell products since about 2002, I have been aware of Dell's quality since my introduction to PCs back in 1992. I just couldn't afford a Dell PC on a college student's budget. And since this Laptop is the most expensive computer that I have allowed myself to buy, you would have hoped their advertised word would be based on that long history of quality. I just failed to take into effect the world economy and, speaking in general, the consumer's own acceptance of less for more. Lesson learned. On the bright side, If Dell doesn't come up with a fix, I am only out roughly $100Ick! and still have a worthy laptop to be proud of. But I haven't given up yet, and will continue to press Dell for a fix, following all avenues I know of  til they are exhausted.

RoosterCool

XPS 17 L701x Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz / up to SC 2.93GHz / 6M, 8GB,DDR3,2 DIMM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M 3GB graphics with Optimus and TV Tuner, 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive, Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo, JBL 2.1 Speakers, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 WiFi card

• I'm pretty disappointed that they haven't even attempted a contact with those customers that purchased this unit under the misleading or confusing marketing.  I hope to try technical support tonight but must tell you that my previous attempt to "chat" with tech support was pointless and actually, sad.  The very nice lady wanted to sell me ANOTHER XPS17 and was under the impression that the only thing preventing the Push2TV was the lack of a TV tuner card.  Hello????  Duh????  Point is to be wireless sharing of display.  She insisted the Optimus works, but I am pretty convinced she had no clue as to what I kept referring to.

Listen, I love the laptop but am under impressed with the performance since I paid for an upgrade to the i7.  Hell, they should offer us the ability to up the ante to the next i7 chip that can do it all or downgrade to an i5 processor which is a much stronger performer as I have learned in the last ten days.  Shame.

Oh, and the very nice "tech support" lady told me I could swap out the unit but of course pay the restocking fee, which is what, 15%?  Don't think so,

Tomorrow I meet with our federal IT managers and give them the scoop; they were very interested in hearing everything that occurred and their feedback up the chain can affect our agency IT orders.  I'll keep you all posted.... I'm also going to search on Facebook for other customers with our "situation" and spread ther word. 

• gilgomez

In addition to the lack of Push2TV. this laptop does NOT support Nvidia Optimus graphics switching, when purchased with the i7 processor.  Otherwise it is a very enjoyable laptop to use, great keyboard and sound and love the backlit keyboard.

The way I understand it ...

If you have the new chipset and one of these new i3/i5/i7 processors

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031187.htm

... you have the new Intel HD Graphics. I'm pretty sure they use system memory for video memory. Anway, Intel HD Graphics would be the first requirement to getting Push2TV to work. There might be other Intel hardware requirements dwindling down that list (only certain processors or certain wireless adapters).

If you also have a descrete nVidia card installed, you have a hybrid video system (system uses one of the other depending on app). Only then does nVidia Optimus even have a purpose.

Even if you have the above, the system might require some settings to keep the Intel HD Graphics enabled/active while you config the Intel Wireless Display software and use the Push2TV.

I don't actually have one of these, but I have been looking at them. I was thinking of giving my Precision laptop to the wife and getting one of these for myself (well, this, a Latitude, or another Precision).

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Tesla:

Listen, if you check the chipsets and also look up the exact i7 processors that actually do support both Optimus and WIDI, you will find that the XPS17 unit we have purchased isn't listed.  After all the back and forth with sales, reading all the hype on their web sales pages, etc....and a very nice but obvously non-technical sales man, we were duped.  Yes, we were misled (watch them remove this post as well....) by the very confusing details found on the sales pages.  My unit has the i7-740 and when I checked the chipset at Intel it was definitely not listed.  Bummer.

Oh, want to see something totally funny???  Check out today's XPS17 web sales page, note the bragging on the wonderful Optimus and 3D Play on an HDTV They still make it look like the same xps17 has all the WIDI Push2Tv and NVidia Optimus for longer battery life.:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-17/pd?oc=dndojm2&model_id=xps-17

This beautifully-engineered laptop provides the ultimate in smart performance with Core i7, enhanced graphics and blu-ray

Movies, games, music and Web chat come to life with leading-edge graphics, 3D capabilities, high-definition (HD) video chat and sound that can fill a room.

• Leading-edge NVIDIA® performance graphics bring your media to life
    • High-fidelity JBL® speakers with Waves MaxxAudio® 3
    • First Skype™-certified laptop — video chat with HD Webcam
    • Enjoy 3D on the big screen3 with integrated NVIDIA 3DTV Play™ software
    • Turbocharge your performance with Intel® Core™ i5 Processors with four-way multitask processing and Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
  • Gil,

Your definitely have the right idea, and I agree that this issue does appear to have been "swept under the rug" due to no official notice about our problem and the fact that our configuration was pulled from the sales site. But for a large company like Dell, It would be a bad business decision to make an official notice with so few complaints actually verified. This, though not fair to the little guys like us, is most likely the case.

For my research, can you verify that you do indeed have the QM57 chipset? I was able to verify by downloading a validating application from a different site, which I will email to you, if you request. I tried the Intel program, but it only supports Windows 7 32 bit and, for giggles, I tried it and doesn't work(duh.).

The reason I ask, I have visited a different  forum site and there has been questions about the chipset that is actually was installed in their XPS 17 laptops. You may have more up to date information than I, but the QM57 chipset does have on board graphics installed, which may allow a possible fix down the road (I think...). If you have the one of the other two chipsets (HM55 or PM55) then this will add to the case at hand.

Though I am rusty with my attempts to find out information about our graphics card, I believe it requires two GPU's for Optimus to work.

See the side bar, under "Optimus whitepaper" at http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

This would include NVIDIA's and the one included on the CPU. But in our case, the Intel i7 740QM does not have this, due to lack of space being a quad processor.

See http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49024

But the Chipset QM57 does have GPU on board.

See http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=43185

So theoretically, there should be a way for Optimus to work. I will post this question in the laptop hardware forum as a new string to help support my research.

Like I said, I am still researching our issue, and so far, our numbers seem to be on the thin side with so few complaints that I have actually seen. I applaud your determined and well worded posts in our forums, but I personally want as much proof on hand before I make a decision. I know this does not actually further the customer service issue, but I am a more of a "glass half full" kinda guy and I have chosen to follow a different path. I have purposely avoided using the phone support service from my previous experiences and the experiences posted on this and other forums.  I have actually had a positive experience from e-versing with Terry  B. here on Dell laptop forums and was satisfied with his response on the Push2tv issue. This, in no way, is to belittle your chosen avenue and I support free speech, especially when it comes to dissatisfaction with a purchased product.

Keep posting, as I have said before, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease..."

Rooster Cool

p.s.

Sorry for the late response, but I am a turtle when it comes to formulating an answer.

XPS 17Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz / up to SC 2.93GHz / 6M, 8GB,DDR3,2 DIMM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M 3GB graphics with Optimus and TV Tuner, 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive, Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo, JBL 2.1 Speakers, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 WiFi card

• Good morning and happy Friday!

Redrooster, please send me the link to the site where I can have the machine scanned to confirm the chipset.  So far I come up with QM57 and no indication of embedded graphics. 

Thanks!

• XPS17 owners:

What kind of battery life are you experiencing with your i7-740 processors?  I get only 2.5 hrs of battery, maximum with no video running or any powerful programs running.

Sales department had assured me that because these units have the added benefit of NVIDIA's Optimus technology, that the battery life would be between 8 and 9 hours.  HA!  I should have known then that it was too good to be true! 

FYI our chipset doesn't support this technology.. Crying

• This is directed at the DELL MODERATORS, TECH SUPPORT STAFF AND MARKETING AND SALES DEPARTMENTS:

Why oh why are you still showing the i7 with the NVIDIA card as having Optimus?  And why oh why are you still showing the XPS17 as having up to 8 hours of battery life???  And why don't you drop the whole Push2TV teasers when you hit the XPS units and make it an accessory or feature that ONLY appears when configuring or ordering a unit that is really compatible?

Why not train your sales force on the various component properties, real performance matters and configuration compatabilities?

Why doesn't Dell corporate look into these issues and respond with a statement, comment, etc or even take the giant leap to contact customers who purchased these units which do not live up to the teasers?  Primarily anyone with an i7 740 processor and Nvidia card?  Anyone with an XPS (new design) purchased?

It is dismaying to say the least that Dell is not taking steps to demonstrate their committment to customer service and loyalty.  Look at Toyota and Lexus, their recent need to recall vehicles and how they are winning and keeping customer loyalty and support.

Please, don't remove this post and please, Dell higher ups, respond to these matters.

Thank you!  Hmm

xps17 purchased on 11-10-10, i7-740, NVIDIA 445M, Centrino 6250 with WIMAX, 640gb 7200rpm HD, backlit keyboard, JBL sound, 9cell Dell battery