Tact X keyboard and mouse lights go out and random cycle through colors help???

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Tact X keyboard and mouse lights go out and random cycle through colors help???

This question is not answered

HI all my tact x keyboard and mouse ever since dell replaced my mainboard has been acting very strange the lights will go out and cycle through random colors at times and force me to unplug them and replug them in and then they will work ok. i have even installed the drivers for them but what is so weird is it is detected as a generic keyboard by windows and this is even with the driver install for it. The mouse is detected as a alienware mouse. Any ideas on what could be causing this once i unplug them and re plug them in they act as they should.  To top it all of my warranty has lapsed due to me not having any money to re put it on, but i did not have a warranty on my mouse and keyboard anyhow. What can i do to alleviate this issue?. 

All Replies
  • Anyone hello???

• Hi,

I suggest you re-install the TactX drivers and the Alienware Command Center. Follow the steps on Solution #2 of this article

Alienware-Naomi
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• That is how i did it to begin with once i got the new mainboard i made sure to uninstall old alienware fx and the tact x drivers, i then updated the mainboard bios and reinstalled the drivers and the command center. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, i just recently move the light usb cable to another usb port, so far it seems ok . If it does it again should i perform another reinstall?.

• After a Motherboard replacement, we recommend you re-install your OS. I suggest you try re-installing the driver and Command Center one more time and if the issue persists, do a clean Windows installation as explained on this video.

Once you've installed Windows, make sure you follow this article to install the drivers in the correct order.

Alienware-Naomi
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• HUH they tech said i was fine after he did it i called dell and they told me the same said since it was the same mainboard exact same one that i did not need to reinstall the OS.  That they only recommend a reinstall of the OS if the mainboard was changed to a different one other then the same one. 

• Each Motherboard has a different product key, which is why we recommend it. And, since the problem started right after the replacement, I would recommend re-installing as the next troubleshooting step. 

Alienware-Naomi

• why would it only affect my keyboard it makes no sense to me whatsoever all of my other device function and work as they should. So far my keyboard has been ok since i moved the light control usb cable to a different usb port.  I have no  yellow flags in device manager all looks a ok in there, all is installed as it should be, windows detects no issues EPSA pre boot detects no issues, alienware autopsy detects no issues.  So you would think i would have allot more issues then a keyboard and mouse light issue?, that so far seems to resolved itself  by moving it to another usb port, only issue i get now is it random flashes the lights when i plug in my USB jump drive. 

• here is a video of what it does i don't think this is a driver issue.

• anyone ???

• Try this:

• Disable the 3rd Party AlienFX Access (right click on the AlienFX icon on the taskbar).
    • Are you using 2.0 or 3.0 USB ports? Try using only 2.0 USB ports.

Let me know if the issue persists.

Alienware-Naomi

• it still dose it but not as bad i'm using usb 2.0 ports i have the cables on different ports as well.  I have also reinstalled the keyboard drives which also helped a bit. but i have a feeling this is not driver related at all. 

• Send me a private message with your keyboard order# so I can assist you further.

Alienware-Naomi

• done thanks :) 

• ok this is very very strange member i said i just installed the keyboard drivers, well here is what it says in device manager for my keyboard What the heck.  it says i have the latest drivers it listed under keyboards as a Hid Keyboard Device, says general keyboards  standard keyboard and under driver it says this driver provider Microsoft date 6/21/2006 driver version 6.3.9600.16384 why the heck is it wanting to use there driver and not the once i installed, i even pointed it to the dell driver to update it to it and it still tells me i have the latest driver, clearly this is not the latest driver. No wonder my keyboard is going nuts. So what the heck is going on here its like the driver package you all put out is not installing the keyboard drivers it only installing the keyboard macro interface?????.

• cruser12, I've replied to your message and I'll continue to follow up with you via PM.

Alienware-Naomi