Haswell vs Ivy Bridge-E

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Haswell vs Ivy Bridge-E

This question is not answered

As you know, Haswell is shipping now in x51-R2

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/157337-the-haswell-paradox-the-best-cpu-in-the-world-unless-youre-a-pc-enthusiast

Interesting point about dedicating so much of the Haswell chip to a (usually unused or even un-needed) on-board lame Intel GPU. Seems like that space and transistors could be put to better use. I haven't read the bottom IBE article yet, but I think it is (no on-board GPU).

When I first started hearing about Haswell, it sounded like there was no reason to wait for Ivy Bridge-E (next Enthusiasts level chip), but now I wondering. But even then, quad-channel memory peaked my interest. I suppose it depends if you want a reasonably priced machine that is good-enough (for now) or, do you want the best (like us i7-9xx/x58 users bought-into a while back).

http://wccftech.com/intel-roadmap-confirms-ivy-bridge-e-launch-q3-2013-faster-sandy-bridgee-cpus-q2/

Didn't post this for debate about which is better/faster in ultimate gaming desktop (that's fairly obvious). However, I would like to know what you guys think of new Ivy Bridge E.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-benchmark,3557.html

I'm using Alienware desktop as performance workstation (not just gaming).

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
- Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
- Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
& Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
I'm not a Dell employee.

All Replies
  • My view on CPU's have always been to buy the very best on the market at the time of purchase. That way there is no need to do more numerous and expensive upgrades along with the hassles associated with them.

The high end extreme CPUs can last years if you pick right. I'm into year 3 with my Area 51 980X CPU and it's still going strong and can bench very high. I have replaced many components like the HDD's, memory and multiple generations of GPU's since I bought this system. I've spent thousands of dollars but I have yet to find a reason to replace my CPU/Mobo. And believe me the first sign of it lacking I will I just haven't found that to be the case as of yet.

Granted they are expensive but if you break it down over the years I am at about $400 a year atm. Maybe even closer to $300. For that price, along with mobo upgrades, I would be hard pressed to have kept up with the 980x performance. In fact the first few upgrades after the 980x wasn't an upgrade at all. There are other options associated with a CPU/Mobo replacement such as USB and PCI 3.0 but it wasn't enough to justify the replacement for me. They are a very negligible performance increase which hold no weight to my CPU upgrade decisions.

Anywho, just my 2 cents.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• morblore
    buy the very best on the market at the time of purchase.

That's pretty much what I do as well. At least in relationship is base tech, chipset, motherboard and stuff like that. This last time I did get i7-9xx, but a little slower to buy high-end GPU (at the time) and some nice IPS monitors. I think your gaming requirements are a little more extreme than mine.  Smile

I also like to keep working machines put together, demote them, and just put money (otherwise spent on upgrades) on a new build.

So, pretty soon, I'm going to have to come up with another gaming machine (the Core2-Conroe-Quad box is getting a little old). So, it's either buy/build a new mid-range gamer or buy me a new high-end gamer/workstation and demote my Aurora-R1 to that purpose.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Ok, so I read the Ivy Bridge-E article.

It's a pre-release sample, but I don't expect much more on release. Same old chipset. It seems TH also didn't use the optimal memory. Not bad, but nothing great (similar to Haswell situation ... marginal gains).  Will do 4ghz on normal Turbo. No 8core/16thread.

Those that know about Intel Tick-Tock ...  well, here ... look

en.wikipedia.org/.../Intel_Tick-Tock

Hmm, this is not the way I remember it working. It says Ivy Bridge-E is just a Die-Shink of Sandy Bridge-E. I guess the cool stuff happens on the "Tock" stroke ... new micro-architecture. I guess that is when we get the new chipset (and all the motherboard advances that go along with that).

Is it just my imagination, or with AMD pretty much being un-competitive in the high end CPU space ... is Intel up to it's old ways?

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Tesla1856

Is it just my imagination, or with AMD pretty much being un-competitive in the high end CPU space ... is Intel up to it's old ways?

Maybe but can you blame them? The competition that Intel seems to be facing lately is more from the mobile market. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• morblore

Maybe but can you blame them? The competition that Intel seems to be facing lately is more from the mobile market. 

Yes, I hold them personally responsible (for the advances over Haswell and the prices they will be charging for Ivy Bridge-E)  Smile

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.