Alienware 17 - mSATA Port?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware 17 - mSATA Port?

This question is not answered

What is the location of the mSATA port on the new Alienware 17.  That is one of the only parts not listed in the manual.

All Replies
  • Hi linuxfan2002,

Thanks for reaching out with your query. If you are referring to the new Alienware 17 R1, you will need to remove the below mentioned parts to reach the mSATA module. I believe it was not mentioned in the service manual as this is a technician replaceable unit.

Remove the AC Adapter

Remove the Big Door

Remove the Battery

Remove the Primary Hard Drive

Remove the Secondary Hard Drive

Remove the Optical Drive

Remove the MXM Fan

Remove the MXM Thermal Module

Remove the CPU Fan

Remove the CPU Thermal Module  

Remove the Palmrest Assembly

Good luck.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.

• Hello linuxfan,

Check out my post in this forum, I added pictures:

alienwarearena.com/.../how-to-add-a-msata-card-to-alienwar-m17-r5

This is not easy and it's not considered a Costumer replaceable unit, so proceed at your own risk, if you are not tech savvy, take the computer to a shop or have someone help you.

Natalia J
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• Does it void the warranty to do this?

EDIT, I did see your tag, but you also mentioned this is not a consumer replaceable part, so it kind of conflicts...

• I called dell beforehand and they stated that it would not void the warranty. Of course if you break something in the process - that is on you and not dell.

I installed mine and it was not too bad. Just follow the directions to a T.

• What did you use for thermal paste when you put everything back together?

I'm not nervous about the job, I'm a tech by trade.  I was just concerned about the warranty.

Nevermind, just watched this video, no need to remove the heatsinks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYwPoUBMRFw