Alienware Aurora R4 Overheating

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware Aurora R4 Overheating

This question is not answered

Hi there, I'm having issues with my Aurora r4 overheating, this started last week after cleaning my PC out, I noticed my Fans going very loud when playing a game, but if I minimize the game fans go back to normal. This is the CPUID HARDWARE MONITOR stats

Things I've tried to fix the issue:
Cleaned PC insideout.

Reinstalled Commander Center (correct way).
Did power drain for MIO board.

Reinstalled graphics driver.

Ran 3 softwares to clean all the cookies / trash / registry fixes.

Did defragment fo disk.
Did Dell Diagnostics. 

I'm Running out of the Ideas, why is this happening, I'm also thinking of applying new thermal paste, but people say it doesn't make much difference in temperature only 3-5c, my thermal paste looks dried out, but the thing is I only own this PC for like 6 months, and only been using it for gaming 3 months. It's been under well care. Please Help !

Best Regards

All Replies
  • See this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19508508/20373087.aspx#20373087

Running both Command Center and HW-Monitor (so you can match numbers), find out which Fans/FANIN0-2 is really the radiator fan (System Fan) on the R4. Then you can get some fan history rpms to go along with 92c . Run your game.

Basically, when the cpu cores are hitting 91c and 92c, I want to know what rpms the radiator/system fan is doing.

You can also just run Command Center, Prime95, and HW-Monitor (all in desktop windows) ... but be careful. CPU should thermal throttle at 105c, but still.

Edit: and this ... http://addgadgets.com/all_cpu_meter/

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• FANIN0 is the radiator/system fan and when cpu cores goes 91c my system fan spins for 2.5k RPM, although it doesn't effect my games performance, but I'm concerned about my pc itself as it has never been making so much noise. The link that you gave me wasn't too much of a help how to solve the issue, I'm thinking of re-installing my windows hoping it would fix that. But I'm no expert on temperatures/fans so It could be just a waste of time.  

• That link is the trouble-shooting steps.

At 91c, I'm pretty sure it should be spinning closer to 4000rpm (trying to keep temp down).

Have Asetek pump/heatsink re-installed with new thermal paste. Have it done professionally if you are not up to it.

Maybe first, be sure it's on there perfectly flat and tight.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.