M18x Bios update A10 = no sound

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

M18x Bios update A10 = no sound

This question is answered

Hi,

First time caller.  I just got my first Alienware 2 days ago and am loving it with one small exception.  After updating the bios to version A10, I have no option in the bios for use of the on board sound  and am getting the No Audio Output Device is installed problem.  No devices are shown in the control panel to choose from.

The unit has a Nvidia geoforce 675M card.  All drivers show up under device manager as NVIDIA high definition audio.

I have tried the following with no success:

1. removed the drivers both without/with checking the remove software button

2. downloaded and tried using the creative drivers from the support area

3. manually removed and  tried to install generic sound drivers

4. reinstalled the OS

The only thing that scares me more than updating bios is downgrading it.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dan

Verified Answer
  • Hi, a freind of mine had something similar happen when he installed A10 System BIOS ( I Assume your talking about a M18x R2)  he had problems with the bios where changing the type of SATA drive didn’t “take” and remained the same regardless of what the BIOS was set to. A dell tech come out for another issues and reflashed the BIOS to A09 and that fixed the problem.

The reason I mention this is because there is supposed to be an option in the system bios for HD audio, if its not there then maybe this bios update is a little faulty and  is leaving options out.

Or maybe your audio chip has failed, I have a M18x R1 with no external audio, the volume control doesn't even show up in windows, thats how faulty the audio chip is.

If its under warranty call dell and get them to comeout and reflash or fix it if your worried

All Replies
  • Hi, a freind of mine had something similar happen when he installed A10 System BIOS ( I Assume your talking about a M18x R2)  he had problems with the bios where changing the type of SATA drive didn’t “take” and remained the same regardless of what the BIOS was set to. A dell tech come out for another issues and reflashed the BIOS to A09 and that fixed the problem.

The reason I mention this is because there is supposed to be an option in the system bios for HD audio, if its not there then maybe this bios update is a little faulty and  is leaving options out.

Or maybe your audio chip has failed, I have a M18x R1 with no external audio, the volume control doesn't even show up in windows, thats how faulty the audio chip is.

If its under warranty call dell and get them to comeout and reflash or fix it if your worried

• This worked !  I flashed it back to A09, it booted up and the sound is fully functioning.  There is still no entry in the bios for On-Board audio but who cares, it works.

Thanks for the help AndrewSi.