Alienrespawn - why does my backup option grayed out?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienrespawn - why does my backup option grayed out?

This question is not answered

Hi

I am the second owner of my m11x r2 and warranty is now expired. I bought this from a friend that after using it for a few months, he reliazed that the 11.6in screen is too small for him so he bough a m17x. The 11.6in screen with i7 engine is just what i wanted. Now, I havent had a single idea that there are such thing as Alienrespawn in this laptop until recently AlienAutopsy popped out and asked me to run some hardware tests and I saw the "Alienrespawn" option. Its wasnt even installed so I installed it, read all about it and now Im ready to do a backup. When I clicked backup to start the backup process, heres what I saw:

As you can see I cant even select the destination of my backup because its grayed out. I contacted chat support and conveyed my experience and asked them if do I have to pay the $39.99 upgrade just to make it work and the agent said no. "It should wont even without paying" she said. Even she doesnt understand why its grayed out.

Now, I read some more and found out there should be a partition drive that holds the recovery data. I dont find it here. My friend must have deleted it. But does that mean if he deleted it, I can no longer create backups hence the grayed out options?

All Replies
  • Hi copyl3ft,

Apologize for the inconvenience. Ideally with an AlienRespawn Basic files backup option is unavailable. You may use the below link to get more information on this:

http://dell.to/13T6bK6

If you have further questions do reply to the same post.

Thanks and Regards,
    Kiran Kumar
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• Hi Kiran,

Thank you for the reply, sir. As per the link you gave me, it says:

"AlienRespawn Basic: Comes factory installed in your new Alienware Computer. This Dell/Alienware-branded software will allow customers to burn their own recovery DVD's (or Blu-Ray discs if they have the required hardware) and on USB external devices (USB Optical Drives and USB Flash Drives). Customers have the option to preserve their data (files/folders) during the emergency recovery process."

Actually, what I really wanted to do is just the part:

"to burn their own recovery DVD's and on USB external devices (USB Optical Drives and USB Flash Drives)"

... thats why I was puzzled that the options are grayed out because thats basically what the Basic version can only do which is just what I want to achieve right now. Now dont get me wrong, paying the $39.99 is not a problem for me as long as Ill achieve goal -- to create a dvd or usb backup of my system. Im just afraid that after paying $39.99 Ill be left with a still grayed out backup options and very frustrated.

• Hi copyl3ft,

Apologies, I thought you were just trying to back up your files and folder. Looking at the picture it doesn’t seem that any option is selected. I request you to click on disc or USB flash drive and insert the desired media to check if the next or back button gets highlighted.

Thanks and Regards,
    Kiran Kumar
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• Hi Kiran,

Here, this is what I did:

1. I opened Alienrespawn

2. Clicked Backup

3. Click Create Recovery Media

4. Clicked "Disk" and "USB Flash Drive" options but both of them are NOT Clickable

Thank you

• copyl3ft,

The basic version can only create backups of the original Dell factory image on the hidden partition. It cannot create a backup of your current OS. If the original owner killed the partition, you must purchase the Premium version to create the image, then burn it to DVDs.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Thank you Chris. Thats what I wanted to know. Okay then Ill upgrade to a Premium Version then Ill update this post on what happens.

• Hi Chris,

Ive purchased the Premium version of Alienrespawn. I can now do the full system backup. However, everytime I click "Backup" it shows me this:

If I click "Create Recovery Media", it will show me this:

I noticed in My Computer that its showing the maximum capacity of my HDD is just 334gb but I know it should be 500gb. So I double checked my system and heres what I saw:

Let me correct my earlier statement... I do have a Recovery Partition. Its just that I dont know why Alienrespawn wont let me create a recovery media so I can restore it to factory default or something...

• Chris? Any update on this? My laptop is already acting up right now and a restore will be very handy at this point. Tnx

•  I wanna know this too! This you find a way to fix this? I'm having the same problem. I can't click either usb or disc. PLEASE HELP!