Black or Blank screen after boot screen finishes

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Black or Blank screen after boot screen finishes

This question is not answered

Hi, I just got my Aurora R4 a couple weeks ago and just recently I'd say a week or so it would black screen after a restart. The Alienhead bootscreen  loads fast then just a black screen, lights are still on etc.

I'm a little worried about it because I have to hit the power off button then it will come on and work normal. But I don't know if that's hinting there's a problem because I shouldn't have to do that. I changed to the Win 7 basic theme recently as well if that matters.

I read in a previous thread that sounded like the same problems I was having but it was a bios update and the update I already have is much more recent. I have 07 and that was a fix for when it was 03 for the bios update. 

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

All Replies
  • I've been looking at certain updates for the R4 and this is available - www.dell.com/.../alienware-aurora-r4  Is this something I should update and will it help?

• That is an update for the chipset driver, it's always good to have that up to date.

Try accessing Windows on safe mode by pressing F8 several times during post.

If you have a dual video card configuration, make sure you connect the screen to the bottom video card, as shown in this article:

My brand new Aurora shows no image on the screen

Natalia J
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• Lately i've been getting more black screen's, the computer is on but the screen is completely black and I have to shutdown and boot back up to get it running. I'm not quite sure the problem.. I know the power cord in the back is kind of loose but not sure it's that either since the computer doesn't turn off. Although it does seem pretty strange for it to be that loose. And when I move it even while off I hear a bit of spark sounds.

• Ok if restarted there will always be a black screen after Alienware's bios screen. You have to fully shut it down by pressing the button for it to restart correctly. Any idea what this could be?

• Hi,

Uninstall the video driver like this:

1. Type "device manager" on the start menu search box and hit enter.

2. In the device manager find the Display adapters, right click on the graphics card and select uninstall (check the box that says " uninstall all software for this device")

3. Restart the computer a few times to test it, and let me know what happens.

Natalia J
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• Before I do that i'm curious to know what that will do exactly or how it helps? It's weird that it starts normally from turning on but when restarted it does the black screen. Is that normally a graphics card problem? 

• It could be a graphics card problem, that's what we are trying to find out with that test.

Natalia J