X51 - no audio devies installed problem

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

X51 - no audio devies installed problem

This question is not answered

Hi guys really frustrated and need some help :|

I have win8 pro installed and its always ran A okay. Was playing crysis 3 yesterday, using my speakers and even my g35 headset. Turned on my pc this morning and i have no audio from games, youtube or video files/music files etc. The only thing i can hear is windows sounds when i test my speakers etc.

When i click on "playback devices" it says "no audio devices are installed"

I have tried uninstalling win audio drivers/realtek drivers via device manager and reinstalling.

Even ran installation in compatibility mode for win7/xp but nothing is working at all. I dont want to 'refresh' my pc as i will have to redownload allot of stuff. Also ran Ccleaner and that didnt have an affect

Pls help!

My Alienware x51 -  Core i7 2600, EVGA GTX 660Ti, 8GB RAM, Crucial m4 256GB SSD (replaces HDD for better cooling)

All Replies
  • Have you checked your Device Manager yet to see if it's showing an error or did you just uninstall it when you went in there? Maybe windows detected an error and disabled it. See what it says on the General tab under Device Status.

Go back in the DM and uninstall it from there again. Then do the scan for hardware changes and let windows install it. If it works then try using the Realtek driver. If it works with windows driver but not realtek then you know it's the driver. If nether works then maybe it went bad. If the sound card went bad then you need a new mobo Sad

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• Be sure you are running the latest version of Logitech G35 drivers. Uninstall old, reboot, install latest.

When using G35 ... there is a "sound card" in them ... Realtek drivers are completely ignored.

There should also be a HDMI Audio device for the video card.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• bills889

The only thing i can hear is windows sounds when i test my speakers etc.

Well, you have some kind of audio device or these wouldn't play ... pretty sure.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Thanks for the help guys but unfortunately i tried all of the above and nothing works. I read up on heaps of other sites tried everything nothing worked.

Only option was to do a reformat or 'refresh windows'

Really annoying, but thanks anyways.

My Alienware x51 -  Core i7 2600, EVGA GTX 660Ti, 8GB RAM, Crucial m4 256GB SSD (replaces HDD for better cooling)