Area 51-M,M17x Black Screen, Keyboard and desktop light up, can hear a hum but no processor light active HELP.......

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Area 51-M,M17x Black Screen, Keyboard and desktop light up, can hear a hum but no processor light active HELP.......

This question is not answered

I have a M17x laptop and it has become a nightmare. I paid 5900$ for it 5 year ago maybe.

I used this for online gaming and always had it lifted off the table with a couple dvd's to ensure enough air flow through it. i even blow it out with compressed air weekly. One day i turn on the pc and it goes to a black screen on start up. The keyboard, alien faces and WiFi, processor 50% lock alien and Bluetooth all light up. The PROCESSOR light does not flash but there is something quietly spinning or humming in the pc.

I tried to hold power 20 seconds after battery and power cord is removed, no luck. 

The pc use to put out some hot air when i was using it and would have to keep thigns away from the back of it .

I was going to buy 2 new hard drives because i called aliemware support and he said for 110$ or something that he can make it work again. After i told the representative what it was he said "oh the hard drives crashed and you need to replace them." well i was about to buy some (not from dell since there not carried anymore) (500g sata 8mb 5400) 

After looking here i think that may not be the issue and wanted to see if i can get other input other than the input from that one tech support guy that i spoke to.

Help ?

All Replies
  • Hello Phaidor,

If you are saying, that when you turn on the system and all you have are the lights working and the fans spinning without any video or a black screen the issue might be related to something else like the memory or the video card, if possible open you system and test it with one memory at the time.

Please let me know how it goes!

Karen M.
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• Hi there, well i tried booting with 1 ram in at a time and also with 0 ram in it. . Zero luck. what i hear is a fan running. All the keyboard and logo's light up. the alien eyes do not flash as if a processor was functioning. SO... when i go to power off the pc all i have to do is touch the alien head and its an instant off.

phone support said it was bad hard drives but i want to make sure before i sink money back into the pc. i need it for a second unit.

Next idea?

Chris

• Phaidor

I don't think this would be a hard drive issue, check if the indicator lights for the num lock and caps lock key turns on when you press them, plug an external monitor to check if you can get any video signal.

Karen M.
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• The caps light will come on and off but when i hook it to the hdmi out (only video out on it) i get no video or any signal to the monitor. Again the alien head does not flash like it is running a processor...