Alienware M17x R4 display problems

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware M17x R4 display problems

This question is not answered

Hi,

I bought Alienware M17x R4 and had for couple months now, and yesterday my monitor started showing some different colors. I tried update drivers, but it didn't helped.

My computers hardware:   

Processor :  3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3740QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
Display : 17.3" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD
Memory : 16384MB (4x4096) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
Hard Drive : 750GB 7,200rpm SATA 3Gb/s HDD
Graphics : 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M

Heres some photos of how it looks:

Any ideas what should i do?

Thanks for your suggestions and answers:)

All Replies
  • Hi vaitylka,

I recommend to run LCD BIST on the computer (power off the computer, restart the computer by holding the “D” and power button).

Check if the LCD display is same during diagnostics.

Also, you can check the status of LCD display in safe mode with networking (restart the computer and tap F8 on Dell logo and select Safemode with networking). Check the status of display in safe mode.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• I forgot to mention that its not a permanent problem, sometimes it goes away and the screen is back to normal.  So i run the bist and it was all good( probably because the screen was back to normal). But another thing is that when bios alien head shows up you can see the same strange colors around the head, so i don't think its driver problem, i think its hardware. And running in safe mode had the same  problem as well .. And i didn't mentioned that its not like the color just changed , its like those green spots all over the screen is blinking. Any sugestions?

• If i connect  to a tv through hdmi there is no problem. The tv shows screen just fine, while laptops monitors goes nuts.. :/

• Hi vaitylka,

Kindly private message me the service tag. I will review your account and take the case forward.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• the past 2 weeks ive been getting the same screen issues.  when i reboot it, its just fine.  has your issue been resolved.

• Hello jrrenejr,

Plug an external monitor,  to verify if is the video card or the motherboard causing this issue.

Karen M.
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• No, my issue havent been resolved. I have to contact my  Local Dell technical support, and i really have no time to do that now.. But yeah, when i just turn on computer the colors goes nuts, when i restart it goes fine again..

• ok  my screen is acting up again, so i plugged in an external montior and its normal on the external monitor.

• Send us an email to awsocialmedia@dell.com with your service tag, contact info and the link to this thread. I'll help you in the best way I can jrrenejr.

Pablo R.
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• Hi vaitylka,

Did your problem get resolved. I'm having the same issue with my Alienware MX17 R3.

Dell wants to charge about 1/4 of the original laptop price to send for repair. My warranty just expired 3 weeks ago, go figure. Please post the fix.

Thanks

• no, it didn't got resolved yet.. don't have time to use pc that much lately(work+school). i don't trust dell anymore, and really would love to get my money back instead of fixing it, because it is really stupid to pay that much for something that breaks that fast.

• I'm connecting to this issue. I have the same problem. Laptop have 5 months (so is "almost new"). Sometimes colors is normal, but to get it i need to reboot  sometimes 15 times or more... please help me

• Hi, I have a similar problem with the display for Alienware M17X R4. Did you solve yours and how?

• Hi CH LIM,

If you connect an external monitor, does the same issue happen?

Do you see the video distortion on safe mode,  during POST or in the BIOS?

Run System Diagnostics (ePSA) 

Update the graphics drivers following the steps in this article and test the system.

Let me know how it goes.

Alienware-Natalia
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• when it acts up i connected an external monitor, and its clear on the ext. monitor.   i contacted dell and within a couple days they sent a tech to my work to replace my monitor, great promt service but it didnt fix my problem.  contacted dell again and i had to ship it to them.  i shipped it on a monday and and got it back on friday, great prompt service.  BUT,  my laptop wouldnt boot up.  my screen would say connect to network?! not a happy camper right now. contacted dell and the tech had me do several tests, his conclusion was i had to reinstall my operating system using the disc that came with my laptop when i purchased it and i would prob lose all my data and games. so much for tech support.  i looked into the package my laptop came in but didnt find any windows disc, only an alienware resource dvd that didnt help.  now im totally pissed at this laptop i just let it sit for a week thinking what an expensive paper weight.  finally calm down enough to play around with bios and boot mgr.  i noticed under LEGACY BOOT: network.  i switched LEGACY BOOT: hard drive.  reset my laptop and PRESTO! laptop's working and all my data is still there.   mind you, im not very comp savvy at all.  i contacted dell again to verify what i did is ok,  he said yes and prob the tech who fixed my laptop never powered it on to verify if it worked. and also said the last phone tech was wrong because my laptop doesnt come with a windows cd.   1-10 scale.  product 3, dell support 2, prompt service 8,  products looks 9, dell factory depot repair 1.  from dec 2012 to this day a 4.6 rating.