Alternate way to get AlienFX?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alternate way to get AlienFX?

This question is not answered

Ok so I upgraded my motherboard recently and only figured out now that Command Center won't install because I don't have an Alienware motherboard. So my question is, is there a third party AlienFX controller? One that doesn't require AlienFX to already be installed because I know there are a few out there that can only control the LED's if I have it installed. Or is there a way to only get AlienFX without the whole Command Center?

I have an Aurora R3 with an Asus Maximus V Gene motherboard.

All Replies
  • I believe someone was working on making the MIO board with another mobo, I'm not sure how much success they had, Morblore or Tesla (both forum Superstars) may have more info, as I'm sure recall one of them posting on the thread in question.

I have never seen anyone get the lights working without the command center tho, there is a python script for linux which seems hit and miss but nothing I'd read about for windows.

I haven't seriously looked into it, this is just what I have read in passing :)

Alienware M18x
    Intel i7 960xm, 256gb SSD, Dual GTX 580 SLI.

• There is only one installer. It installs MIO-Board drivers and Command Center (and CC sub-apps like AlienFX and Thermal Controller). Maybe try an older version like v2.6.x (but DO NOT go back to v2.5.x.anything)

Any 3rd party add-ons still require the intial "CC base framework" to be installed.

There is also a chance that your MIO-Board is dead or locked up. Also, maybe not connected properly. Check forum threads of users attempting similar procedure.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Is it possible to just get AlienFX for my TactX mouse? It shouldn't have to see that I have an Alienware mobo (because I don't) to install, and then it might pick up my system?

• Good idea ... try it. See what drivers are available.

I'm not using Tact-X stuff ... I'm liking my Logitech and Plantonics gaming extras instead.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Do you know where I would find that? I've been looking but only found the Mouse CI drivers