Forums

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

RAM Memory upgrade for my ALIENWARE M17X

This question is answered

Hiya all,

I have an ALIENWARE M17X running Windows 8 Pro (64 bit) that I purchased recently... (so I assume it is a M17X - R4) but how do I know for sure????

The laptop can accept upto 32GB of RAM, but currently has only 16GB of RAM installed (2 x 8G 1600mhz DDR).

What would be the best RAM Memory modules to purchase in order for me to upgrade to 32GB of compatible RAM?

Is there any products on Amazon.co.uk for example that will work well i.e. Corsair, Kingston etc etc???

Any links to high quality compatible RAM memory would be helpful. Thank you.

Again... I assume that it is a M17X - R4 but how do I know for sure???

Thanks again.

M.J.

Verified Answer
  • Hi M.J,

Check the system model by using the below link. Please fill the service tag in the box provided and click on submit.

http://dell.to/T2hKYc

This would give you the system model and computer configuration.

Below picture would give you the memory configuration/specification:

I have provided a link below which has compatible memory for Alienware 17X-R4:

http://bit.ly/YKUH8T

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• I am curious what you are doing that requires that much RAM. 16GB is plenty. Most games do not use more than 2GB of RAM, . I personally run on 8GB of HyperX 1600Mhz RAM. Some of the best RAM, in my personal opinion. Corsair Vengeance is good as well. I never run into a real problem with 8GB, Strangely, only Chrome has given me an issue, and that was because it was not operating normally. The 'crucial' site and brand are good as well, but be sure to buy from Amazon or somewhere other than the crucial page, as they run higher pricing directly on the page. Crucial is a good site for checking ram in systems, as it will scan and give you the necessary information. Personally, I would rank HyperX as my favorite, closely matches with Corsair Vengeance in a close second, and then crucial is good as solid basic RAM. 

There are many things to consider with RAM, and actual amount of Memory is typically the least of your concerns, so long as you have 4gb or more. Cycles are also important. However, CL9 is usually good on 1600mhz. With Sandy Bridge and later CPUs, you typically will not see much of a difference around 1600, 1866mhz, but the CL will make a difference. 

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_8

The m17x model has two spots for RAM. One is under the back cover, which is usually two RAM slots. Then, under the keyboard there are two more. To get the best performance, when you put in new ram, always put it in pairs. However, I, personally, would save the money for RAM and use it to get some gaming hardware, like a RAT7 mouse, or a few games. It will be more beneficial, since 16GB will be, at least, 4 times more memory than you need for ANY game on the market.

Games can only use a certain amount of RAM. A common myth is that more RAM means better gameplay. The truth is, that most games are only able to use 2gb of ram. Most games are 32bit, even if you are using 64bit windows. This limits the amount of RAM they can use. There is no real need, right now, for most games to go 64bit, although there is the want and ability.

So there is literally no way for most of the games to use 16gb of ram

More RAM in gaming is good, though, because it keeps background RAM using programs from hogging the RAM and not using it to games. However, 16GB is plenty. I have even run on 4gb for a while, myself....and I play BF3, Skyrim, and about a million other games on as high of settings as I can get them, while still running many programs in the background.

The only real concern for higher RAM that I have seen, it in using video editing and conversion programs. These use more RAM and can slow down a system if you do not have enough RAM.

Husband/Father/Writer/Tech Guru/Broad Spectrum Gamer

"There is no problem that can't be fixed with the right tools and resources and proper motivation" -CCC

Alienware Respawn  Data Safe Local Backup  Alienware Command Center  Alien Autopsy  Dell Software Download Center

All Replies
  • Hi M.J,

Check the system model by using the below link. Please fill the service tag in the box provided and click on submit.

http://dell.to/T2hKYc

This would give you the system model and computer configuration.

Below picture would give you the memory configuration/specification:

I have provided a link below which has compatible memory for Alienware 17X-R4:

http://bit.ly/YKUH8T

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• I am curious what you are doing that requires that much RAM. 16GB is plenty. Most games do not use more than 2GB of RAM, . I personally run on 8GB of HyperX 1600Mhz RAM. Some of the best RAM, in my personal opinion. Corsair Vengeance is good as well. I never run into a real problem with 8GB, Strangely, only Chrome has given me an issue, and that was because it was not operating normally. The 'crucial' site and brand are good as well, but be sure to buy from Amazon or somewhere other than the crucial page, as they run higher pricing directly on the page. Crucial is a good site for checking ram in systems, as it will scan and give you the necessary information. Personally, I would rank HyperX as my favorite, closely matches with Corsair Vengeance in a close second, and then crucial is good as solid basic RAM. 

There are many things to consider with RAM, and actual amount of Memory is typically the least of your concerns, so long as you have 4gb or more. Cycles are also important. However, CL9 is usually good on 1600mhz. With Sandy Bridge and later CPUs, you typically will not see much of a difference around 1600, 1866mhz, but the CL will make a difference. 

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_8

The m17x model has two spots for RAM. One is under the back cover, which is usually two RAM slots. Then, under the keyboard there are two more. To get the best performance, when you put in new ram, always put it in pairs. However, I, personally, would save the money for RAM and use it to get some gaming hardware, like a RAT7 mouse, or a few games. It will be more beneficial, since 16GB will be, at least, 4 times more memory than you need for ANY game on the market.

Games can only use a certain amount of RAM. A common myth is that more RAM means better gameplay. The truth is, that most games are only able to use 2gb of ram. Most games are 32bit, even if you are using 64bit windows. This limits the amount of RAM they can use. There is no real need, right now, for most games to go 64bit, although there is the want and ability.

So there is literally no way for most of the games to use 16gb of ram

More RAM in gaming is good, though, because it keeps background RAM using programs from hogging the RAM and not using it to games. However, 16GB is plenty. I have even run on 4gb for a while, myself....and I play BF3, Skyrim, and about a million other games on as high of settings as I can get them, while still running many programs in the background.

The only real concern for higher RAM that I have seen, it in using video editing and conversion programs. These use more RAM and can slow down a system if you do not have enough RAM.

Husband/Father/Writer/Tech Guru/Broad Spectrum Gamer

"There is no problem that can't be fixed with the right tools and resources and proper motivation" -CCC

Alienware Respawn  Data Safe Local Backup  Alienware Command Center  Alien Autopsy  Dell Software Download Center

• Thanks guys. Yes, I have checked with my service tag and it is definately an M17X - R4 model that I have.

It is picture and video editing that I will be primarily using it for. Less so with games (although I hope to get into gaming too).

What would be the very best quality compatible RAM Memory modules for my Alienware M17X - R4 ?

Thank you again.

Cheers!

• Would this work well?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-KHX16S9P1K2-16-1600MHz-Non-ECC/dp/B008H7IGGI/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356521090&sr=8-3-fkmr1

• Would this work well?

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3

• I use my M18x primarily as a Photo and Video editor, I am using Corsair Vengeance 1833mhz ram in mine.

I got the 8gb sticks: www.scan.co.uk/.../16gb-(2x8gb)-corsair-vengeance-performance-ddr3-so-dimm-pc3-14900-(1866)-204-pin-non-ecc-cas-10-11-1

I found my machine was idling around 3gb of ram, now I idle at 5gb and things are many times more responsive.

Everything got really good at 16gb, but sometimes while rendering video it would lag while trying to do other things, so 32gb would be a def advantage if you want to say edit cover art/inserts while video renders in the background.

Oh I noticed you was looking at the 1600mhz HyperX, they have the 1600mhz stuff at scan, a fair bit cheaper than the HyperX. I went with Corsair purely because more people indicated issues with AW and Kingston, these issues was few but enough to make me not want to waste my time finding out :)

www.scan.co.uk/.../16gb-(2x8gb)-vengeance-performance-memory-kit-ddr3-1600mhz-cl10

If you need a solid supplier of tech in the UK, scan.co.uk is the place :)

If you haven't already got 2 hdd drives or an SSD, I'd seriously invest $100 in a SSD drive and put your cache on it.

Running photoshop/premier off my SSD was a crazy boost in speed, then putting a 2nd cache on a 2nd physical drive (the data drive) makes it blistering, i have no doubt it would be faster it both drives was SSD but we work with what we have :)

Alienware M18x
    Intel i7 960xm, 256gb SSD, Dual GTX 580 SLI.

• Many thanks... so would I be better off going for the Corsair Vengeance 1833mhz RAM or the 1600mhz RAM in my Alienware M17X R4 (with MS 8 Pro 64 bit as my OS)????

• Many thanks... so would I be better off going for the Corsair Vengeance 1833mhz RAM or the 1600mhz RAM in my Alienware M17X R4 (with MS 8 Pro 64 bit as my OS)????