Can't get WiDi working on my M17xR4

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Can't get WiDi working on my M17xR4

This question is not answered

I just recently purchased an M17xR4, and one of the features I liked was that it was supposed to be WiDi compatible. I have the 2230 intel wireless card, and it even specifically states that it supports WiDi. 

I have an Netgear Push2TV PTV3000 hooked to my TV.  I have researched the software and drivers required, and nothing I have found seems to get it to work properly. Will the Intel 6250 work better getting WiDi to work?  If anyone has the 2230, or the 6250, and has WiDi working, could you please help me out?

All Replies
  • Kilroy_M17xR4,

The 2230 is not on the list of WiDi supported network adapters. You would need to remove it and purchase/install the - MW04C Intel 6250 WiMAX/WiFi Half Mini Card

WiDi and WiHD FAQs = http://dell.to/Jq3yAT
    Requirements for using Intel Wireless Display (WIDI) = http://dell.to/VZIokD
    How to setup your WIDI using the Intel Wireless Cards and the Netgear Push 2 Tv receiver? = http://dell.to/xbF1Hu

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• Then why does Dell advertise the 2230 as being WiDi capable??

• Hello Kilroy_M17xR4,

I did and extra research for the WiDi requirements, looks that the Intel wireless 2230 is compatible and should work.

I apologize for the misunderstanding here.

Do you still experience issues getting this to work ? And what is exactly the issue?

Karen M.
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• The issue is, as in my initial post, that I cannot get it to work, no matter what software I try.  There is nothing indicate in the Device Manager like it states in the references you gave me before. It is as though, there was absolutely no WiDi device at all on my laptop.

• Karen,

Can Alienware Laptop owners use this Active-X control?

www.intel.com/.../wireless-display

... or do AW laptops fall into the category of:

Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

End Users,

Do not use the above link to check and/or replace your drivers ... unless Dell says it's ok. I do not have an Alienware laptop here to test with and I am in no way suggesting you use the above link. However, I can say that it does seem to work with an Inspiron (non-Alienware) laptop I tried with it.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Tesla1856

Yes, the Alienware laptops can use the  Active-X control.

Kilroy_M17xR4

Did you try the link that DELL-Chris M suggest? In there you can update the drivers for the Intel graphics card, wireless card and install the wireless display program.

Let me know how it goes!

Karen M.
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• As found in the link you mentioned:

Applies
    for:

Alienware
    M11x R3

Alienware
    M14x

Alienware
    M17x R3

Alienware
    M18x

Intel
    Wireless Card 1000, 6250 & 6300

Netgear
    Push 2 TV receiver

And I have the 2230, which Dell states in their info when selecting wireless cards for the M17xR4 WILL work with WiDi, but isn't mentioned on the page you mentioned. I have however purchased a 6300, and I will install that card and see if WiDi suddenly works.

• You can follow the steps from the article is the same setup.

Here the latest drivers you need:

Intel Wireless 2230 // Intel Wireless 6300

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Intel Wireless Display Software

Karen M.

• The link for the "Intel Wireless Display Software" doesn't work.  Crying

• I'm sorry try again.

Karen M.

• Well, I've installed the 6300 wireless card and it is obviously working, BUT..... I have another question. I have the Nvidia 680m and the 3D monitor, and I noticed in the BIOS that onboard graphics was not detected. Do I need to use the onboard graphics to make WiDi work, or will it work using the Nvidia graphics card?