How to support new graphic card in Alienware Area 51

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

How to support new graphic card in Alienware Area 51

This question is not answered

Hi: My graphics cards are going so I want to replace them. I purchased a new graphics card, but I have a problem. The case stands up, so the graphic card is on its side. The graphic card is heavy and twisting in the PCIE slot. The previous (original) graphic card looks like it had some kind of extender that made the card longer so it could hang on a ledge at the front of the case. Does anyone now the correct procedure for a replacing a graphic card and supporting it in the case. Thanks.

All Replies
  • That's just something Dell adds (mainly due to shipping) . No other machines really have that. All nice single cards are 2 slots wide (these days) and have 2 screws on slots holder. Should be fine for it to be like every other machine.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• It definitely pops out of the PCIe slot especially with the fan going.
  • Hi TaoTerra,

Here's an article that explains step by step how to remove the graphics card on your system, it also mentions the piece that tesla is saying about, just in case you still want reference:

How to remove the video card from the Alienware X51

Good luck :)

Alienware-Natalia
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• Hi:

I really appreciate the response. A similiar link to what you provided is exactly what I'm looking for. However, the case I have does not look like the one in the link you provided. Instead, it looks like the one in the following link:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=410643&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

In fact, in figure 2 you can see my graphics cards (except my are adjacent and do not have the space between them). If you look closely at the picture, there is a black piece of plastic that runs across the top of the cards and connects with the right hand side. This plastic supports the heavy cards and keeps them from twisting out of the PCIe slot. It does not appear to be part of the original card.

To replace the graphic card (which is failing) with another, how/where do I get the black plastic piece and how do I attach it to the new graphics card? Or is there another way to replace the graphics card?

Regards

• Not sure about Natalia, but I've known exactly what you have meant all along.

I stand by my original post.

If the card is falling out, it's not installed properly or there is something wrong with the card, case, or motherboard.

Those brackets are not on Retail aftermarket cards because they never know what size the case is. The only way you will get a card with that is to order a Dell-OEM card from Dell Spare Parts. If they even sell them, it's likely very expensive (not sure why ... ask them).

If you want a good AMD card, look at XFX-AMD on Newegg. And of course, no front bracket ... only the required 2 rear screw-down brackets. IIRC, they also have a lifetime-warranty.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• I am so sorry, I read X51 on the title, not Area-51, it was a misunderstanding, Tesla is right.

Alienware-Natalia
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo