Bluetooth and DVD problem with M14xR2

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Bluetooth and DVD problem with M14xR2

This question is answered

Hi,

There is some problem with my Allienware M14xR2, please have a look at the following picture:

1.Here is the Device Manager, the driver of DVD/CD-ROM cannot be installed correctly, I have tried for several times, it still doesn't work. 

2.Another problem is that I cannot find Bluetooth device in the list, and of course I cannot use Bluetooth now, I downloaded the driver and installed it, but it took no use.

Can someone help me to fix these two problems? 

Verified Answer
  • Access the BIOS by tapping F2 several times during post, once in there, go to the "Wireless" tab and make sure the Bluetooth is enabled. Go back to Windows and press Fn+F3 to activate the Bluetooth in the OS, Re start the computer and the bluetooth should be working after that.

For the DVD-ROM issue, try deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry, this article explains how:

The DVD/CD drive of my Alienware stopped working in Windows 7

If those two recommendations don't work, next step would be to try a Windows clean installation as mentioned by Tesla before, following the steps in this article:

How to install Windows 7 in an Alienware Computer?

Natalia J
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

All Replies
  • The driver for the DVD-ROM is supplied with Windows. Maybe you are missing the ChipSet driver (that might cause what you see).

Better to clean install Windows and install in this order:

support.dell.com/.../document

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Thanks for your help, but the problem is that I cannot use the DVD-ROM now, 

I cannot see it in "my computer".

• Ya, I get it already.

See if it works outside of Windows in Dell Diags. If it passes that, go into Windows and detete it and see if it re-detects itself.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• I have tried that, the DVD-ROM works, I can start system from disk, it's just the driver's problem.

I have uninstall the driver for several time, it re-detects itself and re-install the driver, but the results always be failed.

I also have used some software offered by DELL, like dell pc diagnose(something like that, maybe not the exact name) and some other computer software, they passed all the test, because all of them cannot detect bluetooth and DVD-ROM

• Access the BIOS by tapping F2 several times during post, once in there, go to the "Wireless" tab and make sure the Bluetooth is enabled. Go back to Windows and press Fn+F3 to activate the Bluetooth in the OS, Re start the computer and the bluetooth should be working after that.

For the DVD-ROM issue, try deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry, this article explains how:

The DVD/CD drive of my Alienware stopped working in Windows 7

If those two recommendations don't work, next step would be to try a Windows clean installation as mentioned by Tesla before, following the steps in this article:

How to install Windows 7 in an Alienware Computer?

Natalia J
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• NataliaatAW, thank you so much, the DVD-ROM works now, but for the Bluetooth, I'm sure that in BIOS its state is Enabled, it still doesn't work, is there any other solutions for bluetooth, and my Fn+f3 doesn't work.

• Hi NataliaatAW, I have made the Bluetooth work.

It's a little funny, I am sure the Bluetooth is enabled, then I restart the computer again and again, however, it doesn't work.

Finally, I set the value to Disable, restart the computer, then set the value to Enable, restart again, thus it works.

I don't know why, but at least it works.

Thanks again.

• You are welcome Long Fu, I'm always happy to help. Another recommendation, if when you press any Function keys (for example Fn+F3) and nothing shows up on the screen, you might be missing the On-Screen Display driver, if that's the case, just follow the steps in this article to install it:

Alienware Laptops not showing the On-Screen Display icon when pressing the function keys

If you have any other questions, please post back and we'll help you out.

Natalia J