Alienware X51

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware X51

This question is not answered

I am a gamer and i have recently purchased the Alienware X51 with the i7. I was enjoying using this as it is a great PC, but when it came to playing some games, the textures were faulty and it said i had a realy low cpu. I spent a lot of money on this to play games and i was wondering if there was anything to fix it so i didnt waste my money. Some of the games that were faulty were GTA IV, GTA EFLC, sleeping dogs and some others. Please reply with haste, regards

Morgan 

All Replies
  • Which video/graphics port are you connected to the HDMI on the motherboard or the discrete card directly?

If you use the motherboard HDMI you will may need to configure the Nvidia optimus driver to use the discrete card when playing those games you can do that from the Nvidia control panel.  3d settings

Here is a great thread where kameix1 does an excellent job of explaining how optimus works and the benefits of it.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19469330.aspx

If you are connected to the discrete card directly you will just be bypassing optimus altogether and using the full power of the graphics system.

Also what video card do you have GT545, GTX555. GTX660 ?

• i have the GT660 video card but i am not sure what you mean by the discrete card, (sorry I am not that familiar with computer parts)

• i have the GT660 video card but i am not sure what you mean by the discrete card, (sorry I am not that familiar with computer parts)

• On the back of the system you will see ports like those below.  Are you plugged into the HDMI port near the top of the unit OR the ports on the video card near the bottom (silver area)??

If you are plugged into the HDMI port then my comments about Nvidia Optimus are relevant.

If you are plugged into the ports on the Silver area near the bottom then you don't have to worry about optimus as you are directly plugged into the GFX card.

Hope that makes things clearer.

• As mav711 suggests, if you're using the top ports it may just be a matter of configuration. 

nVidia Optimus Technology

Luis Pardo
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty! Check out AW Artificial Intelligence
    For US and Canada, if you have any questions about upgrades contact us at alienwareupgrades@dell.com
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube | If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• Do i need a special cable to connect to my monitor because the PC came with a DVI VGA thing that fits that slot but did not come with the cable

• Morgan,

You don't need to change cables.... So, which port is your monitor connected to currently ?

If you are using the top HDMI port you just need to configure optimus to perform the way you need it based on Luis'  excellent link in the post above that explains how to set it up.

• For some reason, i cant open the Nvidia control panel because it says ''you are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU'' what do i do now?

• Its is in HDMI but i cant open the NVidia control panel because it says ''you are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU'' what do i do now?

• You should have more than one HDMI port on the back of the machine. Use the other one. The one you're connecting to is probably the one connected to the motherboard.
  • hmm, that is odd.  I would recommend giving support a call.. they can "remote diagnose/connect" to your system and look over the settings to make sure all is how it should be.  Regardless of the port you are connected to Nvidia Control panel should not be giving you that message.  The other HDMI port Majik1 is referring to is actually a mini-HDMI in that silver area of the back and you would need an adapter to use that port.

And based on that error message you mentioned, you definitely are not getting the full benefit of the GTX660.  That card is a beast and once this is resolved you will be much happier.

• Unlike the 555 the OEM GTX 660 has a full size HDMI port.

• Sounds like you plugged your HDMI cable into the motherboard which means your CPU is trying to handle the GFX instead of the GTX 660!

Solution: Plug a DVI cable into the back of x51/ the only DVI port is directy on the GTX 660.

My Alienware x51 -  Core i7 2600, EVGA GTX 660Ti, 8GB RAM, Crucial m4 256GB SSD (replaces HDD for better cooling)

• I stand corrected.. thanks Majik1