Forums

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware M14x disc drive

This question is answered

Having trouble with Win 7 boot loader, tried to put disc into the disc drive but can not .... thought there might be one in there already but found there's no way to eject manually. (Son's laptop that I've never really looked at before.) Do these drives only work when an o/s is loaded? Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Thanks for responding. Found the solution elsewhere that suggested <FN>+<F6>. Worked like a charm, whew.

All Replies
  • Hi deltreed,

The disc drive should work even without the operating system loaded. If a disc seems stuck in the drive and does not eject when you press the eject button, no mechanical ejection mechanism like an eject hole is available. Please check if you are able to eject the drive in BIOS set up.

1. Start the system and press the F2 key on the Dell logo screen to enter the BIOS set up. Once in the BIOS set up use the eject button to remove the disc.

2. Load the BIOS defaults and try to eject in the BIOS set up.

3. If the operating system was installed, we could have tried to re-install the Quick set application which fixes most of the  eject issues on slot load drives.

Please reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.

• Thanks for responding. Found the solution elsewhere that suggested <FN>+<F6>. Worked like a charm, whew.

• Hi deltreed,

Thank you for verifying the answer. I will update the same in my records for future reference.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.