M17x R4 mSATA caching hdd

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

M17x R4 mSATA caching hdd

This question is answered

Hello all. I have recently purchased an M17x R4 with a 32GB caching msata ssd and a 750 seagate 2.5 inch hdd.

Yesterday I moved the 750 GB seagate to hdd slot 1 and added a new 128 GB SSD to slot 0. Now I cannot seem to get the 32 GB caching msata SSD to configure as a caching device. The CTRL + I RAID interface shows an option for caching options, but when I select it I am told that there are no caching volumes defined. When I click create a new volume, the only options are RAID 0, RAID 1, and something else that is not caching.

My question is this: How do I configure the 32 GB msata drive to be a caching device for the 128GB SSD? Is it worth it? Right now I have a 64GB RAID0 between the msata and the ssd. Would a caching configuration be any faster?

Thank you,
Joe

Verified Answer
  • i'm expert on ssd, but i'm sure you can't cache a ssd with a ssd, the way you had the setup before was like a hybrid drive, the ssd helps out the access the to hdd, ssd alreadly have large parts of them set as cache alreadly,i would also use the ssd as the C drive to max out your performance and then use the hdd purely for storage.ocz vertex 3 hits a 7.9 in windows.

• Hi Joe,

As Alienwareguru rightly said, if you already have a 128GB SSD as the primary hard drive with the operating system installed and 750GB hard drive for storage, caching using the 32GB mSATA module is not required.

SSDs are highly expensive compared to the conventional hard drives and mSATA module is a cost effective alternative for an SSD. This will use the Intel smart response technology to use the mSATA as a caching device to increase the boot speed.

For more information on how to enable caching on mSATA SSD : http://dell.to/R1TmFe

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.

All Replies
  • i'm expert on ssd, but i'm sure you can't cache a ssd with a ssd, the way you had the setup before was like a hybrid drive, the ssd helps out the access the to hdd, ssd alreadly have large parts of them set as cache alreadly,i would also use the ssd as the C drive to max out your performance and then use the hdd purely for storage.ocz vertex 3 hits a 7.9 in windows.

• Hi Joe,

As Alienwareguru rightly said, if you already have a 128GB SSD as the primary hard drive with the operating system installed and 750GB hard drive for storage, caching using the 32GB mSATA module is not required.

SSDs are highly expensive compared to the conventional hard drives and mSATA module is a cost effective alternative for an SSD. This will use the Intel smart response technology to use the mSATA as a caching device to increase the boot speed.

For more information on how to enable caching on mSATA SSD : http://dell.to/R1TmFe

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.

• Wow, excellent answers. Thank you!. I will do some experimentation.

SSD + mSATA RAID0
    Disk - Sequential Read: 188.5
    Disk - Sequential Write: 94.9
    Disk - Random Seek + RW: 37.4
    Disk Mark: 1160.4

Windows Experience Index: 6.9

750GB Seagate Momentus
    Disk - Sequential Read: 108.4
    Disk - Sequential Write: 103.3
    Disk - Random Seek + RW: 2.8
    Disk Mark: 776.0

I will reinstall Windows without using the mSATA device and post the benchmark results, after work today...

Again, thank you for the excellent responses.

CPU Type: Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.70GHz
    Total RAM: 8094.3 MB.
    Available RAM: 6467.2 MB.
    Video settings: 1920x1080x32