Power Supply Switch

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Power Supply Switch

This question is not answered

Is there a way to switch off the power supply on an Aurora R3? I know most computers have an on/off switch at the back of the case, but I don't see one on my aurora. I'm asking because I'm about to install a new video card. Thanks.

All Replies
  • I don't think it has one. What you will want to do first is shutdown the system and then pull the power cable from the wall. Once it is unplugged you need to hold the power button down for 10sec to drain the power from the system. It is now safe to open the case and change the GPU. Big Smile

If you are going from AMD to Nvidia or vice versa then it is best to remove all the drivers before installing the new card.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• Thanks for your response, but how will the computer stay grounded if it's not plugged in? Also, do people still use Driver Sweeper to remove all drivers? I haven't had any problems just using the standard AMD uninstaller.

• ChubbyChimp14

Thanks for your response, but how will the computer stay grounded if it's not plugged in? Also, do people still use Driver Sweeper to remove all drivers? I haven't had any problems just using the standard AMD uninstaller.

You can use CCleaner or Driver Sweeper. People still use them because it's about the only way to fully remove Nvidia drivers and reg settings.

For the ground part you are supposed to use a anti-static wristband. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=anti-static+wristband&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1030&bih=566&wrapid=tlif134690865236010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5389250171665405452&sa=X&ei=EDJIUMTYBY2A9QTjo4DgDA&ved=0CHMQ8wIwAA

__________________________________________________________________________________________

• You never work on a computer that is plugged in. (period)

While it's turned off, and right before you unplug it (to follow Morblore's standard procedure) ... you can touch the power supply metal case from the outside (to release any static electricity to ground).

I have used Driver Sweeper. I have also skipped it and done it the conventional way:

en.community.dell.com/.../19727042.aspx

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Yeah you can touch the metal case too but the anti-static wristbands are so cheap there really is no reason not to buy one. The link I gave you has them for $3.  Only catch with touching the case is you can build a static charge again after touching the case. I figure for 3 bucks you can avoid hurting stuff that cost hundreds or even thousands of dollors.

Then again I'v done it so many times without using one and I'v never hurt anything. Sometimes I get a dirty look and I may put one on but other then that I leave it off more times then on lol.

• Thanks for the replies, guys. I actually ordered an anti-static wrist band along with my GTX 670. I just had a friend and many other people tell me to keep the computer plugged in (but turn off the power supply) while installing the graphics card. So the conflicting information was confusing me. Anyway, one last question. I have all carpet in my house for the most part. I know carpet can be bad to stand on when installing these things. Can I put something under my feet to stand on in order to avoid standing on the carpet? Sorry for all these questions. This is my first time doing something like this and I just want to be prepared. Thanks again, guys.