Brand New Alienware 17x R4 4 beeps error

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Brand New Alienware 17x R4 4 beeps error

This question is answered

I got Yesterday brand new Alienware 17x R4. First time I am switching on the laptop I get 4 beeps. That's it. No display at all only keyboard lights working. Imagine how would I feel. I pay 2500 $ for seeing keyboard lights working. I need to travel abroad in 2 days. Dont know what to do. Please call. 

Verified Answer
  • That is generally an indication of a memory error. Look at this article: Alienware Beep Codes Table.

First check to make sure all of the memory modules are properly seated in their slots. If they look correct, try removing and re-seating all of the modules.

If you still have problems, you can try pulling out all the memory except for one stick. If the system boots correctly, shut down, try another stick, repeat. If one of the modules is bad, you will discover the one causing your boot failure.

If you need help with this task, check the M17x R4 Service Manual or watch this Alienware video. If you only have 2 memory modules installed in the primary slots, then this Alienware video will work.

If this suggestion answers your question or leads to a solution, please click the green "Yes" button in the bottom of this post. _________________________________________________________________________________________

Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | GTX 780M SLI | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    32GB 2133 | 512GB SSD RAID0 | 4TB HDD RAID0 | 250GB mSATA
    Dual Boot: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows 8.1.1 Pro x64 
    Benchmark Results

Alienware M18xR1 | Alienware M17xR2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron 15 | Inspiron 910 [Mini 9]

• Hey BJFox,

I'm having the same problem, except mine occurred a few days after receiving the laptop, giving me time to install some games and play around with it, and is inconsistent (occasionally either starting up (in which I can inconsistenly play or have it crash randomly) OR giving the 4 beeps and blank screen).

I followed all your instructions and tested each RAM module/reseated them which was tedious but they all allowed a start up. Could this still be a faulty ram module and the time I tested it it worked out of inconsistency?

Also, the laptop was from a trusted alienware reseller and comes with a full dell warranty, but seems a tad suspicious as there were several different brands of ram when I opened it up: 2x 2gb Samsung, 1x 4gb Kingston, 1x8gb corsair(value select) =16gb total. Is this normal?

Any advice/help is appreciated

Dimi

All Replies
  • That is generally an indication of a memory error. Look at this article: Alienware Beep Codes Table.

First check to make sure all of the memory modules are properly seated in their slots. If they look correct, try removing and re-seating all of the modules.

If you still have problems, you can try pulling out all the memory except for one stick. If the system boots correctly, shut down, try another stick, repeat. If one of the modules is bad, you will discover the one causing your boot failure.

If you need help with this task, check the M17x R4 Service Manual or watch this Alienware video. If you only have 2 memory modules installed in the primary slots, then this Alienware video will work.

If this suggestion answers your question or leads to a solution, please click the green "Yes" button in the bottom of this post. _________________________________________________________________________________________

Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | GTX 780M SLI | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    32GB 2133 | 512GB SSD RAID0 | 4TB HDD RAID0 | 250GB mSATA
    Dual Boot: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows 8.1.1 Pro x64 
    Benchmark Results

Alienware M18xR1 | Alienware M17xR2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron 15 | Inspiron 910 [Mini 9]

• Hey BJFox,

I'm having the same problem, except mine occurred a few days after receiving the laptop, giving me time to install some games and play around with it, and is inconsistent (occasionally either starting up (in which I can inconsistenly play or have it crash randomly) OR giving the 4 beeps and blank screen).

I followed all your instructions and tested each RAM module/reseated them which was tedious but they all allowed a start up. Could this still be a faulty ram module and the time I tested it it worked out of inconsistency?

Also, the laptop was from a trusted alienware reseller and comes with a full dell warranty, but seems a tad suspicious as there were several different brands of ram when I opened it up: 2x 2gb Samsung, 1x 4gb Kingston, 1x8gb corsair(value select) =16gb total. Is this normal?

Any advice/help is appreciated

Dimi

• Hi Dimi,

I appreciate your technical expertise. As correctly diagnosed by you, the 4 beep code point towards an issue with the RAM. I would suggest you to run the hardware diagnostics on the system and run tests on memory for decisive results. You may follow the steps below for running the diagnostics : 

• Power on the laptop
    • Press F12 button on keyboard when you see Alienware logo
    • Highlight Diagnostics option and press Enter
    • Let the diagnostics run and reply with error messages if any and continue tests

And for the other issue, please share the service tag and name on account via Private Message (Click on my name and click on start conversation). I will look into the details and determine the further course of action.

Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sundeep B
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA;India For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

• Hi Sundeep,

At the moment, I am unable to access the laptop as the screen is blank with the 4 beep memory code.

Previously, when I had the random chance to access it, I did run the ePSA diagnostic test as I have read up on the problem, to have it crash upon the memory stage of the test (I have video footage from my phone of this test).

Now for the service tag and name on account, whereabouts am I able to locate this information?

Thank you for your help,

Dimi

• dimi275,

I am working your issue on this thread:
    http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19509078.aspx

This thread is for user Sushil deepak.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers