Alienware X51 video, sound, driver problem!!

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware X51 video, sound, driver problem!!

• Hello, i buyed an alienware x51with 16gb ram, gtx 555, intel i7 and the first day i used it, i concected it with a mini hdmi to a lcd tv, and the system begin to freeze a lot. The next day i saw on the forum that issues and i downloaded the lastest driver of the nvidia gtx, and worked well without freez. But the sound started to fail, when i reproduce anything, the audio sounds horrible conected with the mini hdmi to the lcd tv. I search again on internet and decide to uninstall the nvidia driver and put an old one, but my mistake was delete the principal driver and no video appeared... I need to install the nvidia driver again, but i dont know how to do that, i think if i connect the pc with the hdmi cable using the onboard to install it would work, because i was using the mini hdmi of the graphic card. Im very dissapointed because, at the first use the system started to fail, and i expend a good money on it. What i can do? Well, thanks a lot.
  • There are three options with regards to your problem that I know of:

1. You can re-download and install graphics drivers for your graphics card from your dell account home page which will tell you what software updates are available.  Best way to find this for some bizaar reason is to look for your warranty information.  Follow the tabs on your account and you should see a list of drivers and software updates.

2. I found a simple but affective sound driver update via windows update - optional updates. Windows update should I dentify your sound card/software and provide you with an optional download.

3. Go direct to manufacturers website.  For example, for your video drivers, goto Nvidia.com or nvidia.co.uk etc, search for drivers, select the model of your graphics card, your version of windows etc and it will present the latest drivers available for your card. There are also two beta drivers available for Nvida graphics cards which apparently are quite good, so it may be worth trying. Same with sound drivers, you can find software updates on the "creative" website or realtek website. Just be sure you install the correct drivers for your hardware.  Some websites will detect your hardware automatically and provide the appropriate driver selection.

You may need to completely uninstal any existing drivers installed to prevent conflicts.  In which case, there are some good people on this forum who can assist you further.

I'm not sure about the whole HDMI connection in general, but once again, check windows update, there maybe a driver for this also.

Hope this helps somewhat, sorry if it doesn't answer your question. Tired... can't concentrate properly lol.

• Thanks for the answer, but the problem is that i dont see anything on my tv because the graphic card not have the driver and cant transmite the video by mini hdmi. I know how to reinstall the drivers but i cant use my pc, because i cant see anything in the tv. When i turn on the pc, nothing appear because is no nvidia driver, i need reinstall it. Thanks for your time.
  • With this guide you will be able to get your screen back up. No video when using Onboard HDMI port.

Once your screen is up, you need to Correctly install both Video Drivers.

Finally, make sure you "whitelist" applications that are supposed to run on the discrete graphics card to get the best performance out of your new X51.

Hope it helps ! :D

Luis Pardo
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty! Check out AW Artificial Intelligence
    For US and Canada, if you have any questions about upgrades contact us at alienwareupgrades@dell.com
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube | If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• thanks for your help Luis.

Today before i saw your reply, i buyed an hdmi to hdmi cable and used the onboard or integrated card and thanks god appeared some video, then i installed the nvidia driver but the audio problem still appearing, i updated the realtek driver and worked well.

But now when i want to connect the pc with the mini hdmi cable using the nvidia card dont work, i enter to the bios but when i change the IFGX to DISCRETE the system restart but still transmiting the video using the onboard, when i enter again to the bios the option appear IFGX again... im clicking F10 to save, but dont work.

its ok to update the BIOS? because i saw some issues on the forum.

Sorry my english, Hablas español?

Thanks for all.

• Si hablo español, y esta bien hacerle update al BIOS, de hecho es una muy buena idea! :)

Luis Pardo
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty! Check out AW Artificial Intelligence
    For US and Canada, if you have any questions about upgrades contact us at alienwareupgrades@dell.com
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube | If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• le intente hacer el update ero ya tenia la misma version Confused , me paso de todo durante estos dias, hasta que la pc no reconocia la tarjeta grafica nvidia, intente de todas las maneras y no servia nada la x51 estaba muerta, me quede hasta la madrugada de ese dia sin ver resultados.

Pero en la mañana milagrosamente funciono, apenas le di al boton empezo a transmitir video desde minihdmi y la tarjeta nvidia estaba habilitada.

Hasta ahora todo funciona muy bien. De verdad no se que paso.

Bueno, gracias por todo.

Una pregunta, hay que agregar los programas al whitelist? uno no puede escoger las opciones de video desde el juego?

• Me alegra saber que esta funcionando bien!

Si, hay que agregarlos al whitelist, o cambiar la tarjeta principal en Global Settings a la Nvidia. Otra manera de hacerlo es abrir el juego con click derecho, asi cada vez uno puede escoger con que procesador va a correr el juego.

Con gusto :D

Luis Pardo

• pero eso es cuando uno utiliza el chipset  de intel por medio de la onboard? o tambien es necesario si la tengo conectada directamente por la nvidia.?

gracias por contentar tan rapido.

• Es mejor siempre agregar las aplicaciones necesarias al whitelist

Luis Pardo