Aurora vs X51

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Aurora vs X51

• Hello everyone, I am wanting to get a new gaming computer and don't really want to build one. I have seen the Aurora and X51 and I'd like to know which of the two you guys think is the better pick. I know a lot of people are going to say the Aurora for the fact that it is easier to upgrade but I'm not really an upgrade guy.

The x51

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, w/ Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost 2.0)

16GB3 Dual Channel at 1600MHz

2TB Serial ATA 3 Hard Drive

1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555

Price: 1,249$

The Aurora

Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz

16GB3 Quad Channel at 1600MHz

2TB Serial ATA 3 Hard Drive

1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555

Price: 1,699$

Which is better for the $$$, I'm not looking to play every game on ultra-high quality, just to be able to run current games at playable FPS and even last for a couple of years with decent FPS.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

Also I have a Geforce GTX 560 in my current rig, will I be able to put that in the X51?

• Hey mate,

I've got the x51, the aurora is definetly easier to upgrade in the future. Out of the specs you listed there i would go with the x51. The overclocked cpu wont help much with gaming, it only becomes useful with SLI/dual gpu set ups.

Option 2: Get a better GPU, the gtx 555 is weak i replaced mins witha 7850. You should get a gtx 670 or amd 7870. These cards will max out games NOW and will be able to handle games at high settings for at least 2 years.

The 555 can play games on high (not max) right now but late next year it will start struggling i think.

My Alienware x51 -  Core i7 2600, EVGA GTX 660Ti, 8GB RAM, Crucial m4 256GB SSD (replaces HDD for better cooling)

• I have a GTX 560, do you know off hand, will that be able to fit in the x51?

• Yes it will fit but its BAD IDEA

When the x51 first released there was several ppl who installed 560's and 560 ti's. There was heaps of overheating issues and system crashes man so stay away from that idea.

There is a heap of ppl running the AMD 7850 with no problems at all, some are even running the gtx 670! Which is one of the fastest cards available right now. Remember the old gtx 500 series use more power and create more heat. The new range of amd and nvidia cards are safe upgrades for the very small x51.

If you get the aurora you could actually have the gtx 555 and 560 in SLI. That would be a powerful set up and option aswell.

My Alienware x51 -  Core i7 2600, EVGA GTX 660Ti, 8GB RAM, Crucial m4 256GB SSD (replaces HDD for better cooling)

• All things considered if I just got the x51 and upgraded the card to the gtx 670 or amd 7850 would that be a better rig than the aurora with the 555 and 560? 

• Performance of a gtx 560 + gtx 555 will be very similar to a single gtx 670, i think the 670 will run "slightly" faster though. The 7850 will be a little slower than the 2 card set up.

Remember though, a gtx 670 in an x51 is loud as there isnt much room to breathe for the card so the fan runs hard. Thats really the only negative. The only negative to the 2 card set up is the fact that it will use more power than a single 670 or 7850.

Make sure the aurora build has 2 PCI slots to for 2 gpu's. Im sure it has it but confirm that anyways.

• In terms of a better pc, you cant beat the aurora with an x51

If you want a very compact pc + dont want to spend much go with the x51

If you want a more powerful build, with more airflow, less noise, easier to upgrade and more power/potential + money is not a problem go with the aurora (it's obviously a larger case though)

• I suggest Aurora with single video card (for optimal cooling). 875w Power Supply will allow any single video card (available now) to work (even the $500 ones) ... and likely any more powerful card ... well into the future. You also have spare slots for SLI, CFx, more USB-3 or whatever PCIe you want.

The 555 is about right for a x51. If buying an Aurora, I would spend a little more on a nicer one. I also suggest AMD instead of nVidia.

en.community.dell.com/.../20107862.aspx

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Just to add my experience with my X51 and the GTX 555, I can run some games on Ultra right now (Skyrim, Fallout NV, ME3, Max Payne 3 ) except The Witcher 2, beacuse of one setting which i don't remember..

Exact same rig, except 8Gb of RAM.