Alienware Aurora Problem

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware Aurora Problem

• Hello, I have an Alienware Aurora at home I have bougth 2 years ago. Since few days my computer crash and windows reboot randomly without reason. I have open the dmp files generated by windows with debug tools but no clearly process is detected as the origin of the crash. I have launch the pre-boot PSA+ but the program crash when it is the time of the MATS Memory tests. I have also try the Official Dell Diagnotics Tool I have setup on my USB key, but the software freeze while memory tests and after 6 hours I have always the same screen... So, I think I have a problem whith my memory, but I cannot identify efficently what memory card is down on my mother board... because Windows crashes are random. I have 3 card of 2gb memory and 3 card of 1gb, total 9 gb. Can you help me please ? Many thanks.

• What "Release" Aurora ... or, what exact main processor model is installed?

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Hello Tesla1856,

I have the first Aurora release.

The processor is the Intel i7-950.

What can I do ?

Many thanks.

• EDIT: Now my AlienWare Aurora don't want to start :'(

I have two additionnal "BIP BIP" sound on the start but I have no signal on my computer screen :S

I don't see the first screen with the Alien head, so no windows, no bios setup, no diagnostic boot is possible :(

Please Help.

EDIT2: After few minutes, my AlienWare can start normally. I have removed 4 memory card and the pre-boot test is now a success. I'm trying to add memory card one by one and waiting for crash.

• EDIT3: I have removed the bad memory card but my computer crash again :(

Do you think it is possible to have 2 memory card dead at the same time ?

May be it's not a memory problem. Do you think I must to call the AlienWare support ?

• Last Edit: I have found the problem, it is my second graphics card HD5870.

When I remove this device my Alienware perfectly works.

My Catalyst is up to date and my two card have always running good in the past...

The graphics card is very hot...

Have you an idea to solve this issue ?

• You can test the cards, one at a time, in the main or top slot. If they work by themselves, they should work CFx together.

You can run a benchmark program like Unigine Heaven to stress or max-out card.

Depends on how hot. Programs like CPU-ID HW-Monitor will tell you how hot. Maybe just turn up fans (on case and on card itself).

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• This problem is likely a faulty POWER SUPPLY  - Buy one used from a trusted reseller on eBay that guarantees the product for at least 30 days - The cost is around $60.  Mine crashed/turned-off randomly all the time and would refuse to start until I let it get cool because the faulty power supply was impacting everything (mem...boot...graphics...), including the fan's peformance (same type of symptoms and they just kept getting worse till the computer was unusable), and I wasted so much time with diagnostics, etc.  I finally replaced the power supply (SUPER easy to change) - Unscrew, Unplug, Slide Out and reverse process and you're done), and after the initial power up it's been working fine for over a year now!!!  I hope this resolves your problem.  Good luck!