How do I enable PowerXpress on my m17x r3 with a 6970m?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

How do I enable PowerXpress on my m17x r3 with a 6970m?

• I have an i7 2630qm and a 6970m in my m17x r3, and I can't seem to find a way to use PowerXpress (which is basically the AMD version of Optimus).  Does anyone know where to download something for it?

• Hi Ferrari353,

Actually, the power saving technology supported by your graphics card is called "PowerPlay" and you can enable/disable it in the catalyst control center. Here's an article that will help you find that feature, the description is a little different so just scroll down to the AMD part, also, the version of the Catalyst control center might be a little different than the one you have, but It'll give you a basic idea of what you are looking for. Let me know how it goes.

Natalia J
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• If that article is correct, then that's not what I'm looking for.  I have that option already to switch to my iGPU when unplugged from the charger and then switch back to dGPU when plugged in.  What I want is for my GPU to switch based on how much it's needed.  When I"m browsing the web, it should be on the iGPU, but when I start playing a GPU-intensive game, it should switch to my dGPU.

Also, the CCC in that article looks nothing like mine.  It's 9 years old.

I also can't download drivers from AMD.  I've tried to choose the driver for my GPU (the 6xxxM series) and I've tried the "auto-detect and install" and both say something along the lines of "You don't have the necessary hardware for this."

• Hello Ferrari353,

I did a little research and it seems that Alienware does not support the PowerXpress feature. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Natalia J
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's