Nameplate Replacement

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Nameplate Replacement

• Hello, I bought an Alienware m14x (through EPP) on the 31st of May over the phone and told the representative several times that I would like my name on the nameplate. It arrived a few days ago, however, with a generic nameplate. I checked my order confirmation and saw that my rep did indeed leave off the fact that I wanted a custom plate. I've called about this three times, emailed three times and gotten no response at all except for a generic 'we're glad you're happy' (which obviously means that didn't actually read what I wrote). On the phone I was told I couldn't be helped or transferred around until I gave up. I'm started to feel blown off and ignored since all I want is a new nameplate and I've stated I'll even send this one back if that's the problem. I'm really hoping that I don't have to send the whole computer back just to get someone's attention.

I finally posted on FB and an agent there told me to ask here.

At this point I don't even think it's the nameplate, it's just that if this is how they treat new customers I'm not sure I even want to be bothered. If I have this much trouble getting a simple $5 piece of metal from them what kinds of problems am I going to run into if I have a real problem?

• Hi, I´m sorry to hear that you are having so much troubles to get your computer's nameplate, please send us an e-mail with your service tag, phone number and brief description of the issue to AWSocialMedia@dell.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Luis Porras
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• If you are not from the USA you are SOL aka Slightly out of Luck.

In the USA you can have replacement plates or even initial plates, elsewhere you can't even get a blank plate, mine has a HORRID M18x on it :(

Alienware M18x
    Intel i7 960xm, 256gb SSD, Dual GTX 580 SLI.

• I am in the U.S. and I ordered from a U.S. sales agent as well.

• To get the customized one, you would have had to order the system through the website. Since you did not, you will need to remove the nameplate and get it engraved locally. I agree, the current policy/process is a mess.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• Chris, did anyone ever find out if the "Generic Plate" is blank or pre-engraved with model number?

I was assured many many many many times that the default non-usa plate is blank, but when it turned up, it has M18x engraved so I can't even take it to the local place for engraving.

The only plate anyone at Dell has listed is the M17x plate, which is listed a Generic Plate but no one knew if it was engraved with M17X or blank or what was on it.

The best line I heard from Dell support was "They don't have laser engravers in China, only in the USA", I almost spat my drink out, I'm 99.9% sure the USA's engravers was made in China and probably invented by the Chinese eheheh.

Alienware M18x

• That makes no sense. I was told I could have it customized by the rep, which she then failed to put in properly. Another rep told me I could get one but said it would take up to three weeks.

So basically I'd have to go out and spend my own money on this after shelling out over 1K? Not even a blank plate? I mean this isn't even the first time Dell policy hasn't made any sense. When I ordered there was a promotion going on for $200 credit or an Xbox and I was told my configuration didn't qualify for that either. I got promised a $60 gift card to make up for it but I haven't gotten that either. I was also charged for my 'free' one day shipping.

I appreciate all the 'help' but this is the very last time I buy anything at all from Dell. This is just too much hassle considering the money and the poor after-purchase support. Tech support hasn't got a clue either. I really ought to ship this thing right back and find something cheaper with better service.

• Engraving can be done at any jewelry or trophy store? I do not have the part number for the M18x. What was the part number on your invoice?

Generic Nameplate Part Numbers
    85YK9 M11x-R1/R2/R3
    P07YX M14x-R1
    769YF, GG9MF M15x-R1
    R6FY0 M17x-R1/R2
    P7H63 M17x-R3/R4

• Chris,  

Have you seen the actual physical name plate ? You CAN'T engrave it, because Dell have already engraved it.

Mine looks like this, only it says M18X and the alienware font is slightly different for the 7 into 8.

It should look like

I could take the above to a shop to get it engraved, I could take it a college and have it sand etched or anything, if it was blank, but with the engraving Dell have done (and more so assured me on the phone and in email it was blank) its impossible to simply engrave.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse here, but part of whole Alienware Ownship is the flash and bang, not having the name plate kinda detracts from that for me :(

Blank Nameplates are shipped to bestbuy in the USA, and various other show pictures of them, so they do exist somewhere www.norcorp.com/.../Alienware-Customized-Metal-Plaque.

What is sad to me is that Dell's Executive support agree'd that the only way I was getting one was to ship my plate to a friend in LA, order a new one delivered to my friend in LA, have her unscrew the custom plate, and screw mine back on, return the new one and send the custom plate to me. That's the only way of the dozen ways I suggested.

Oh they also said getting another US alienware customer to order one on my behalf would also work.  

I tried getting THEM to order one, as they obviously own one which is customised, so can they order one and send it, nope, asked about other employees, hospitality, demo/shows, etc.

No one seems to know if the part number you quoted above is blank or pre-engraved :(

Alienware M18x

• Yes, I have seen them. On my M18x-R1, it looks just like this blank. The M17x-R4 I had for awhile had the same blank which is why you could engrave them. On those nameplates you pictured, you could get your name engraved below the system model or above the Alienware font. But I agree that you couldn't get your name translated into the Alienware font.

• Chris,

It must be a European thing maybe, every laptop I have seen (usually on the internet) has had the same engraving as above, with the Model + Alien Writing. The only place I've been able to verify has (or had) blanks was best buy.

I'll see about ordering one, but my money says it will come already engraved with the model number like my current one. Otherwise why give each version a part number ?

Alienware M18x

• I just got mine this afternoon, and I am very disappointed that my name tag is messed up and does not matched with what I have originally requested via phone and confirmed it per several emails. the promised pre-installed Skype also is not there. I was really hesitant in purchasing another DELL after my XPS failed within 2 years.. but I needed to have a laptop at the last minute and was not aware that DELL purchased Alienware the day I ordered my system. I was disappointed with DELL before and this time around they have managed to disappoint me again. <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> after $1600 purchase!!! Does anyone know what is the return policy on this system? I am VERY UPSET, and I swear I would never ever purchase DELL again for as long as I live!!!

• OH... and another thing, I've been trying to get the internet connection working for the past THREE HOURS and it is still NOT working. I ordered the Genuine Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N +WiMAX 6250 ...this is supposedly the most advanced wireless card option available on the system. I googled around and it is actually a known problem, has anyone else here experienced the same problem? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

• Hello Belladonna31,

Please send me a PM with your service tag, phone number, and a brief description of your request, I'll get back to you and check the available options.

Karen M.
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• I actually had this same issue myself and CS was rather unhelpful. Please remember that the Internet/connection settings are not controlled by Windows. Check in the lower right corner on your toolbar and there should be a little blue icon. This is a third-party application that manages your connection. Hope that helps some.